PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a cover for 18' Flatbottom

JBUSAF
06-05-2004, 09:02 PM
Hi everybody, I am getting back in to boats. Have been a casual browser for a few months but have taken the plunge and registered. I am looking for a nice used cover for a 18' Rayson Craft LP. It has exhaust manifolds and OT pipes that are about 12" above the transom, and a single carb and scoop to clear. Thanks for the help, how do I get the little picture loaded by my name?
Thanks
JB:cool:
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?postid=726142

Kachina26
06-05-2004, 09:10 PM
You might pm thatjeffguy , I know he does canopies and other canvas work.
You get that little picture by clicking on user cp at the top of the page and then click on edit options and scroll to the bottom and click on change avatar.

Kachina26
06-05-2004, 09:10 PM
Oh yeah, welcome to the boards:D

JBUSAF
06-05-2004, 09:49 PM
Thanks!
JB

dmontzsta
06-05-2004, 10:10 PM
anymore pics? what motor is in there?

JBUSAF
06-05-2004, 10:44 PM
Here is another pic, these were before my restoration began, unfortunately it was left out in the weather for a lot of years but I am working hard to get it back in shape. Already replaced the gaskets, getting some replating done on the shaft cover and new seats. The drivers side tank (Glass) has a leak. Can I grind out the bad glass and repair or is it un-repairable? It has a 390 ford in it, a long time ago, (With the original owner), it had the 427 Hi Riser and was quite the machine I believe.
Have fun, I still can't make a thumbnail that will load my little picture.
JB
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=726208

Rexone
06-05-2004, 11:12 PM
Helped you out on the pics, welcome to the forum.. :)

dmontzsta
06-05-2004, 11:17 PM
Nice, 390 Ford here as well. I actually have some spare exhaust, I have the original nicson also edelbrock just like the nicson (wet logs) and a spare set of basset headers. 390s are great engines and you can make them high revving and powerful if you do it right.

JBUSAF
06-05-2004, 11:33 PM
Thanks Mike, I remember you from way back, (1982) I think, I used to ski with John (Grady) Hill and work out with Marsha, and remember when Shelbey use to come practice with Chris Mier observing behind Grady's FE Schiada!
dmontzsta, my wife says I should leave the wet logs on it, so PM me if you want to sell the spare Bassett's
Have a great day!
JB
:wink: :cool:

CircleJerk
06-05-2004, 11:59 PM
Ok, I did my homework on this boat if it is the same one. If you purchased this from the Phillips family, in Coos Bay Oregon, here's the history: Original owner picked it up from Rudy in 67or 68 to include his special circle boat bottom! Former number was SS84 called Adios, it had a frito bandito painted on the deck and the original color was orange or rootbeer with stipes. Clifford Phillips, know as 'The Fox' was a national apba Champion in 1970 or 71 were he earned the # USA 1! His first race was at LongBeach with the new boat and he was getting used to it when Rudy suggested a prop change and found a loaner R.H. to try for the next heat. As the story is related by his wife, he didnt notice that Cliff always ran his 427 Fords off the flywheel! She was upset with herself since she knew props also and Rudy had placed the prop in her hand to give to Cliff, under the boat. Why should she question the expert? There should be a helmet dent or paint gouge right about where the driver sits. Only Rudy can confirm or deny this passed down possibly inaccurate story and now he and all the Rayson fans probably hate me more......funny story though and yes, the boat had reverse for a fraction of a second! Nice purchase, you just beat out one of our Nostalgia racers by minutes!:)

JBUSAF
06-06-2004, 12:12 AM
Circle, I can confirm all that you have said, I spent a couple hours with Mrs Phillips and she told me the story about the prop and I saw the 1970 APBA certificate for "US 1". I truly look forward to getting this beautifull boat back in the water and as the pictures show my little boys think it is the neatest thing. Thanks for the story of the boats history, I have always been a Rayson Craft fanatic and feel very fortunate to have this fine boat.

boatguy222
06-06-2004, 03:50 AM
JBUSAF,
You got yourself one hell of a boat, I have seen it run back in the day, It was the fastest thing in the Northwest for several years

DansBlown73Nordic
06-06-2004, 07:05 AM
Lets see a few more pictures of it. If you e-mail them to me I will post them. Danszrt900@aol.com
Looks like a very nice boat...

superdave013
06-06-2004, 07:42 AM
Custom Canvas in Montclair makes the bitchen covers. Will fit your boat like a glove. They also make a felt kinda under cover so the big cover won't scuff the paint. I don't have their contact info. I know Billy B will so shoot him a pm.
Sounds like the gas tanks need replaced with some alum or s.s. ones. All these new fangled gas additives seem to eat up the fiberglass tanks.
Oh, nice rig. welcome to the forums!

coolchange
06-06-2004, 02:28 PM
Nice ride. Good luck on a used cover. If your lookin for just a dust cover hit wall mart. If your near the San Fernando Valley I can set you up with a custom cover.
<--------- As you can see I dig Raysoncrafts.

dmontzsta
06-06-2004, 02:57 PM
what type of set up is it? do you have any pics of the back?

JBUSAF
06-07-2004, 04:29 AM
Thanks for all the help, hopefully I can get something to cover this up with before I move. "Type" of set-up? I'm not sure what that means, runs off the flywheel, originally built to go fast and turn left. Once I get some more pics I will post them.
Thanks
JB

dmontzsta
06-07-2004, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by JBUSAF
Thanks for all the help, hopefully I can get something to cover this up with before I move. "Type" of set-up? I'm not sure what that means, runs off the flywheel, originally built to go fast and turn left. Once I get some more pics I will post them.
Thanks
JB
I should of been more specific.
Where is the V drive located? and is it a true flat?

JBUSAF
06-07-2004, 09:31 PM
OK, Got it, the V-drive is even with the seats, less than 3' driveshaft. The bottom is not totally flat, it has a very small "V" to it.
Thanks
JB

rrrr
06-08-2004, 06:17 AM
Nice boat. Glad to see another FE on the water.
Uh, I just remembered I have a set of Bassett OTs, average condition (some rust :D).
$150