PDA

View Full Version : (New?) Bowl extender?

Jake W
06-05-2004, 09:08 PM
I was looking through Cookiemans 2004 Boatfest pics and noticed a few boats had these bowl extenders (looks like a 2 to 3 inch pice just befor thr droop)on them what are they and what do they help and who sells them?
Also Cookiemad is this boat a 18 or 20 Youngblood. nice pics
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/319Boatfest_2004_173.jpg
Jake:D

fullwood
06-05-2004, 10:37 PM
call Ron at American Turbine (509 243-5387) he has them to the best of my knowledge!!

UBFJ #454
06-06-2004, 05:42 AM
"Bowl Extenders" have been around a long time. Typically they are 2 inches long and are installed between the bowl and wedges resulting in the nozzle being set back 2 inches. Some boats "like" this setup, some don't ... we tried on on the Brendella with the old keel and had to shut it down about 300 feet into a 1/4 mile run as the rear of the boat kept trying to swing around to the front. Now that we've changed the keel quite a bit, we may, sometime in the distant future, try using the extension again???

Jet Hydro
06-06-2004, 09:57 AM
It`s funny how many people have never seen these yet...lol... I make my own extenders. HBjet and a few others have made comments not even knowing what they were even looking at. Here`s the picture that had them going.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/208back_of_boat_1_x_2-med.JPG

Oldsquirt
06-06-2004, 10:16 AM
I've seen a few bowls that looked about 2 inches longer than normal. Who makes these? I assume the bowl vanes extend that full additional distance? Are the separate "bowl extenders" open or do they also have vane extensions? Anyone got pics?

American Turbine Man
06-06-2004, 10:19 AM
We have them at AT, they move the nozzle back 6". We will have the steering extensions for them soon. The feedback has been very good.
I will post photos on Monday.
ATM

UBFJ #454
06-06-2004, 11:47 AM
The Dominator Bowl is slightly longer (approx. 2 in.) w/veins out to the end ... The typical extender has no veins. They're really not too difficult or costly to make with, or without veins ... With veins, just have to be precise.

Jet Hydro
06-06-2004, 02:07 PM
The long Bowl I use on my boat is an Aggressor 9-V.
I make all my Bowl extender`s out of billet.( $$Kinda costly$$) There are a few tricks to doing set-up`s with them but the ones I`v built have worked well on the boats I`v tried them on. Goes back to the topic where I said "I`v learned a lot about Nozzles length and some of the effects they have on some hulls." One of the most important tricks is to keep all your hardware from dragging in the water.

Jake W
06-07-2004, 04:22 AM
Thanks for the info guys I figured thay had been around for a while but have been seeing them on more stuff in the last few months.The first one I saw was on a Ultra in a pic in ***boat now on 2 boats in Cookiemans pics so I had to ask.
Wow 6 inches is alot these look like thay are 2 to 3 inches.Whats the cost?

jerry billet
06-07-2004, 07:18 AM
I run a 21' Daytona with a set back pump. Jack McClure at MPD suggested I try an extension. Bought a piece at the scrap ward and turned it. Takes quite a bit of time. Also double drilled as we were having sealing problems.
Added 2 inches. Trying to make the boat think it longer than it is, get the ride surface farther back.
Jerry

Jake W
06-07-2004, 07:29 PM
So Jethydro are you saying you have made them to choke down the size coming out of the bowl?
Sounds like you could stack 4 ,4 deg wedges togeather and get the same result just would not look as nice.

American Turbine Man
06-07-2004, 07:41 PM
Here is the photo of American Turbine Bowl Extension. OAL 6"
ATM

Jungle Boy
06-07-2004, 08:08 PM
We've been running them for a while and they work very good on some boats.
Here's a photo that showes it. Actually, you can't see it very well here, but it's still a nice photo.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/259BaldEagle_Calender_034-med.jpg
Here's another one that don't show it very well.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/259BaldEagle_Calender_038-med.jpg

Jet Hydro
06-07-2004, 08:12 PM
No Jake, Mine doesn't choke down the size coming out of the bowl at all.
There`s no way you could stack enough wedge to be the same. you would never be able to bolt all them together. It would take 15 to 20 of them to even be close.
Look at the picture.

squirt
06-07-2004, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by Jungle Boy
We've been running them for a while and they work very good on some boats.
Here's a photo that showes it. Actually, you can't see it very well here, but it's still a nice photo.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/259BaldEagle_Calender_034-med.jpg
Here's another one that don't show it very well.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/259BaldEagle_Calender_038-med.jpg
I like not seeing it:D :D :D

Jake W
06-08-2004, 04:31 AM
See that is where you are wrong Jethydro.I use SS all thread on mine and this way you could put several togeather.Not that I want to do that but I see it as posible.My 3 deg wedge is 1/2 inch thick so to get 2 inches you could use 8 of them ha ha ha.There was a pic of Flashback and it had about 5 of them on thear.Not that any of that matters because I would not do that but see it as posable but not perferable.

mrgoslow
06-08-2004, 05:21 AM
jake w, thats an 18' in the photo.

Jet Hydro
06-08-2004, 07:25 AM
What I meant by that was, that if you did you`d blow them all to hell...been there done that....didn't work. That`s why I went billet. I had mine on when I did that big air pass at Waco last year. Didnt brake, so must have been the right way to go?

Jake W
06-08-2004, 06:18 PM
Mrgoslow thanks is it yours?
Jethydro I hear you a one pice would be the only way to go.

mrgoslow
06-09-2004, 08:39 AM
no. its belongs to a friend in del rio tx. he bought it not too long ago from arkansas. its a clean unadulterated tx-18.
my boat is the black v w/silver flake "to the wood" in cookiemans pics