PDA

View Full Version : ANYONE familiar with the Checkmate hull (jet) ??

Checkmate
06-06-2004, 04:52 PM
Am I the only one on ANY of these boards who owns a Checkmate Jetmate ?
I am not very happy with my speed numbers and I have a rebuilt pump and engine. I am thinking that possibly the design of this hull is f*($ing me. I have searched before and have never had luck finding any info on this hull.
ANYBODY know ANYTHING about them ??
Thanks, Dan

riverbound
06-06-2004, 04:57 PM
I know you have one:D :D :D

sleekster
06-07-2004, 04:05 AM
i almost bought a checkmate jetmate with a 440 chrysler was suppose to have run 70's but i never rode in it what i did not care for was the way the side of the boat on the inside was angled i could not put my feet flat on the floor, i have a 1979 sleekcraft
with a bbc now and love it.

drysumpjet
06-07-2004, 06:43 AM
I had a 73 Jetmate that I bought back in 85 and sold back sold it to a friend(therefore still enjoying it now) back in 96. I was my first boat and reworked it many times. The result was a boat that was capable for the low 70's. That hull is heavy and with the deep V, is a great boat for wind chop.
First after increasing HP, I learned the hull was riding too "wet". Then I installed a droop snoot which made the boat hi speed porpoise. To corrected, I decided to install a ride plate and removed the "hook" in the bottom of the hull. One issue that that my hull had, was the unusual deep V water intake. It didn't fit the V of the boat properly, and was a nightmare to build up with weld to get a ride plate and shoe to work. I also had to add additional spacers between the rideplate and the pump bowl. After all of that, it still porpoised. Out of frustration, I installed adjustable trim tabs. This solved the problem, my guess the taps provided the need planing surface to keep that heavy hull on a "high plane".
A couple of safety notes on this hull. If you go with the tabs, you also need the indicators as having the tabs adjusted too much downward at speed makes this boat unstable. Also as with many V boats, when that heavy hull lands off of it's high plane at top speed, it has a tendancy to catch and spin, anotherwords I wouldn't power that hull to go much over high 60s to 70.
Other issue with that old hull is the balsa wood core. It lacked support for the water intake screws, therefore pulling thru the 1st layer of fiberglass. Result is a leaking intake and water logged heavy balsa core. Repairs to the area surounding intake on mine was cutting/removing out the outer layer of fiberglass and balsa core, (about 4" around the permiter for the intake hole) and layering it up to make that area solid fiberglass.
Good Luck!

Checkmate
06-07-2004, 03:40 PM
Do you happen to have pics of that 73? I am curious as to if it's the same basic layup as the 78 I have. Later, Dan

Checkmate
06-07-2004, 03:43 PM
Here's a pic of mine

drysumpjet
06-08-2004, 03:37 AM
Your hull appears similiar to the one I had. Sorry, I don't have any postable pics at the moment. I searched for it here but most pics from past BOTEs have been removed. If nothing else, there will be lots of pics taken of it this weekend at BOTE at Anna. It is mostly red, and white, white interior, OT headers, tunnel ram with (2) 4s.