PDA

View Full Version : 454????

BiesemeyerSquirt
06-06-2004, 05:23 PM
I just picked up a project boat with a fresh 454. The previous owner installed the engine and discovered water in the oil within one hour. He shut the engine down and parked the boat. While I was checking it out today I pulled the intake and discovered the intake is for large port chevy heads (almost looked like a D shape) while my heads have a much smaller port (oval shaped). The gaskets matched the intake, large port. Will this mismatch cause water in the oil?

victorfb
06-06-2004, 11:10 PM
useing that combo has been done many times without problems. i dought thats were the water is coming from. the markIV 454 head bolts are one of the most common places to seep water from. the head bolt holes in the block go into the water jackets and can/will seep water into the oil that way unless you use a sealer on the head bolts when you torque the heads down. its possible that step was not applied to your motor. of course there are other ways water can enter the oil system but id check that one first. removing the head bolts to see if any sealer is on them is easy and cheap. unfortunatly the fact that water had allready entered the oil system raises some concern with the main and rod bearings. idealy you would want to check those to, but if in fact the previous owner shut her down fast enough, you may be ok. your call.

Rexone
06-07-2004, 12:45 AM
Most the water passage size ports in the intake gaskets are all the same so I doubt that would cause water in your oil unless there was a mismatch specifically on the water passage ports in the gaskets. Victor gave you a common area to suspect though in the headbolt sealing.
Also if it has water injected headers and you're over-watering them or the weep holes are plugged that'll do it as well.
:)

Wet Dream
06-07-2004, 07:40 AM
And of course the overpressurizing of the system. We don't know if this is a jet or not, so assuming it is a jet don't rule out that your running too much pressure from the jet pump to the block and seeping past a number of gaskets.