PDA

View Full Version : How do I avoid a subpoena?

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
04-03-2006, 08:05 PM
I just got served a subpoena for a car accident. The guy that got hit is a total jerk. I already went to court for him to help him beat his traffic violations. HE came to my work and bothered me while I was helping customers. He called me for 2 months straight :mad: Now he is trying to use me to win alot of $$$. Without me he has no case!! I dont want to deal with this jackass :mad: :mad: What should I do?

JetBoatRich
04-03-2006, 08:09 PM
tell him you are not sure what you saw :rolleyes: sound like a weak witness :rolleyes:

little rowe boat
04-03-2006, 08:27 PM
You have already been served, it's too late to avoid it.

sleekcrafter
04-03-2006, 08:27 PM
Tell him your a crackpot, or a meth addict, you suffer long and short term memory loss, alshiemers, and so on
Sleek

Kim Hanson
04-03-2006, 08:39 PM
I just got served a subpoena for a car accident. The guy that got hit is a total jerk. I already went to court for him to help him beat his traffic violations. HE came to my work and bothered me while I was helping customers. He called me for 2 months straight :mad: Now he is trying to use me to win alot of $$$. Without me he has no case!! I dont want to deal with this jackass :mad: :mad: What should I do?
Just tell him to f uck-off and you know of a culvert with his name on it :crossx: ...........( . )( . )...........that should work! :p

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
04-03-2006, 08:47 PM
You shouldn't have a problem appearing in court and telling the truth. Enough said.
Thats understandable but I really dont want to be involved!

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
04-03-2006, 08:50 PM
Actually I just reread the subpoena and they want me to show up at the attorney's office. Its not for a court date. Then what makes it really lame is that they attatch a check for $16.00 to it. Hell that cant even get me there in gas in my denali let alone cover my missed time at work :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

DaveA
04-03-2006, 09:07 PM
Actually I just reread the subpoena and they want me to show up at the attorney's office. Its not for a court date. Then what makes it really lame is that they attatch a check for $16.00 to it. Hell that cant even get me there in gas in my denali let alone cover my missed time at work :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
Well, sounds like it's time to $ $ N E G O T I A T E $ $.
Your amne$ia is $uddenly, miraculou$ly cured, and they get what they need and can't get from anybody else....your deposition.
You dig?

ROZ
04-03-2006, 09:13 PM
CAlculate your time loss from work and travel, and demand reinbursements .

Squirtin Thunder
04-03-2006, 09:30 PM
CAlculate your time loss from work and travel, and demand reinbursements .
I heard that if you tell them and show them they wil pay all costs.
How many miles is it ??? How many pot holes are in that road to get there that you usually avoid ??? How much wear and tear on the girlly man suv ???
How much time off work ??? How much more is lunch going to cost ???
How much for the baby sitter ??? How much $$$ are lost at the store because you are not there ??? Shall I go on ???
Milk it Baby !!! :cool:

Clearlake Kid
04-03-2006, 09:30 PM
A % of the settlement sounds in order. Make the deal with his attorney :crossx:

C-2
04-03-2006, 09:36 PM
A Deposition Subpoena is still a quasi-court order for your attendance. If you fail to show up, eventually it could result an an arrest warrant, or worse, a body attachment where they hold ya till they need you.
Hopefully it will stop at a Deposition only. Be complete with your answers, so they won't bug you again (and they will if in fact it goes to trial).
Call the attorney and tell him you want more than the statutory witness fee. Be honest, tell him you drive an SUV and it will costs a lot more than $16 to get you there and back.
Be careful in making demands for reimbursement - since you have been served you are under jurisdiction of the court and the attorney can tell you to pound sound; that you are legally obligated to appear. Don't play wiseguy cuz they will keep bugging the crap out of you until they get truthful responses.
Chalk it up to one of those curveballs life throws at you. :rollside:

C-2
04-03-2006, 09:49 PM
And almost forgot...if you plan on not showing up - be prepared to get nailed with a $250-$500 fine, and also for costs (court reporter etc.).
I saw this happen to a chick in West LA recently. She didn't show up at depo and got hit with a $850 sanction (fine). She of course, said no way she was gonna pay it.
So the attorney sent the Sheriff out to levy her vehicle to sell at auction to satify the sanction. If she wants her car back, she will have to outbid other bidders at the auction. So her $850 fin just turned into several, maybe tens of thousands of dollars. Not to mention she has no car! Ouch :220v: :220v: :220v:

ROZ
04-03-2006, 10:05 PM
And almost forgot...if you plan on not showing up - be prepared to get nailed with a $250-$500 fine, and also for costs (court reporter etc.).
I saw this happen to a chick in West LA recently. She didn't show up at depo and got hit with a $850 sanction (fine). She of course, said no way she was gonna pay it.
So the attorney sent the Sheriff out to levy her vehicle to sell at auction to satify the sanction. If she wants her car back, she will have to outbid other bidders at the auction. So her $850 fin just turned into several, maybe tens of thousands of dollars. Not to mention she has no car! Ouch :220v: :220v: :220v:
Holy cow, what kind of case, divorce ?

Huckleberry
04-03-2006, 10:12 PM
Yep. What C-2 said is correct. Of course, you could show up and during the entire depo play with you nuts. When they look at you doing it, tell them you have a nervous habit of fondling your genitals. Ain't no way they ever use you on the stand!!!

ROZ
04-03-2006, 10:13 PM
Yep. What C-2 said is correct. Of course, you could show up and during the entire depo play with you nuts. When they look at you doing it, tell them you have a nervous habit of fondling your genitals. Ain't no way they ever use you on the stand!!!
You seriois? ROTFLMAO!!! Must have witnessed RiverRoyal on the stand once :D

C-2
04-03-2006, 10:26 PM
Holy cow, what kind of case, divorce ?
Nah, just a run of the mill, trusted employee trying to jack her bosses business (while he was out of the country) case.
The attorney called and we had a good laugh about it, cuz it was really a neat little caper. Done simply to send a message she's barking up the wrong tree and should run for cover. I didn't think the Sheriff's would ever be at the right place, at the right time to nab her car, but they did. :rollside: :rollside:

ROZ
04-03-2006, 10:58 PM
The attorney called and we had a good laugh about it, cuz it was really a neat little caper. Done simply to send a message she's barking up the wrong tree and should run for cover. I didn't think the Sheriff's would ever be at the right place, at the right time to nab her car, but they did. :rollside: :rollside:
Now that's a message :D

redneckcharlie
04-03-2006, 11:33 PM
just simply walk in to the deposition and state "no habla englis". :p

MagicMtnDan
04-03-2006, 11:35 PM
Have Boozer go to court for you :D

LUVNLIFE
04-04-2006, 04:36 AM
I assume you have insurance. He should subpoena your ins company. I got in an accident one time that was my fault and the other persons ins company tried to contact me direct. When I told my agent this(AAA) she said they could not do this legally, that is why you have an insurance company, everything concerning the accident goes through them. Hope it comes out right.

lucky
04-04-2006, 05:40 AM
show up dressed like a woman !

a catered life
04-04-2006, 06:26 AM
A % of the settlement sounds in order. Make the deal with his attorney :crossx:
this sounds like the way to go but you need to make sure you get paid either way the case goes.... make it clear and if you have to get a attorney make sure they pay your fee's completely other wise you cant remember much :idea:

superdave013
04-04-2006, 06:31 AM
just go get it over with

JetBoatRich
04-04-2006, 06:34 AM
LMAO http://www.riverratlife.com/forum/images/smilies/hysterical.gif

a catered life
04-04-2006, 06:41 AM
I assume you have insurance. He should subpoena your ins company. I got in an accident one time that was my fault and the other persons ins company tried to contact me direct. When I told my agent this(AAA) she said they could not do this legally, that is why you have an insurance company, everything concerning the accident goes through them. Hope it comes out right.
what????? the grand puba :p

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
04-04-2006, 11:19 AM
ha ha ha ha thats some funny schit :crossx:

topless
04-04-2006, 11:28 AM
Have Boozer go to court for you :DROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LUVNLIFE
04-04-2006, 12:09 PM
what????? the grand puba :p
C-mon 405 during rush hour. When you spend as much time driving like I do it's bound to happen. Just a fender bender like ten years ago :p

MKEELINE
04-04-2006, 12:56 PM
Flee the country!

rivergoer
04-04-2006, 01:12 PM
just tellhim to give you big dough or you will say stuff to make it look like he is at fault...but make sure there isnt anybody else there to witness. :)