PDA

View Full Version : 4WD Yes or No ?

24ROD
06-06-2004, 07:32 PM
1. Yes a 4 WD is the way to go.
2. No I would rather be a Dork and spin my tires on the ramp have a bunch of big fat guys jump on the back of my truck to get traction, and hold everyone else up:eek:

Scream
06-06-2004, 07:38 PM
after getting my car and boat/trailer stuck in the sand at the Nautical, my next vehicle is gonna be 4WD. The last 4WD I had I rearely used, but when I did it was the best investment I made, so 4x4 for me..
Scream

Debbolas
06-06-2004, 07:41 PM
yeah, what he said (I broke a nail):(

redneckgirl
06-06-2004, 07:48 PM
Yes, 4x4 all the way... that is all we own... 2000 Expediton 4x4 and 89 F250 4x4... ;) :) :D
RNG

UtlGoa
06-06-2004, 07:51 PM
Nope! 2wd with a locker.

goneboatin
06-06-2004, 07:53 PM
Call me a dork, but I've never had a problem pulling my boat out, but the ramps have always been good concrete ramps. I always fill up the truck when I fill up the boat so I have the extra weight over the wheels.

Toomstone
06-06-2004, 07:55 PM
does anyone know how 2wd with limited slip differential does? just got a used f150 crew.

Debbolas
06-06-2004, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by goneboatin
Call me a dork, but I've never had a problem pulling my boat out, but the ramps have always been good concrete ramps. I always fill up the truck when I fill up the boat so I have the extra weight over the wheels.
It was kinda my fault, I parked in the dirt at the Nautical and got the car stuck.............too much dirt....but I backed the trailer down VERY WELL!!!:D

goneboatin
06-06-2004, 07:57 PM
I got a locking diff, which is pretty much the same thing on my 2 WD Chevy and no problemos.

Dr. Eagle
06-06-2004, 07:58 PM
I won't own anything but a 4x4. I have 3 of them. I use them going over to Tahoe in the winter, so nice to blow by the chain up areas...
Also helps on slick ramps or when launching from the sand which I do from time to time at Folsom Lakes Granite Bay area.

Toomstone
06-06-2004, 08:00 PM
goneboatin you think i would have a problem with a 28 deckboat??

Havasu Hangin'
06-06-2004, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by Scream
after getting my car and boat/trailer stuck in the sand at the Nautical, my next vehicle is gonna be 4WD.
You guys didn't try to park next to me...eh?

24RODjr
06-06-2004, 08:02 PM
I owned a 2000 Chevy Tahoe with a locking Dif, and have to say that any real weight getting pulled out of the drink still spun the tires on that POS.
I have an f150 super crew 4x4, and the only time the tires spin on that puppy is when pops is trying to be funny.
IMHO--4x4 isn't worth the coin until you can't pull your boat out, or you have to stop to put on chains in driving snow.
Also, I can laugh a little harder at the people who need 9 guys on their bumper to pull out a 12' Sea Doo boat.
-Chris

goneboatin
06-06-2004, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by Toomstone
goneboatin you think i would have a problem with a 28 deckboat??
You might be right, I've only go a 22 foot openbow. But for what I've got 2WD works for me.

Debbolas
06-06-2004, 08:05 PM
We saw a couple of cigarette trailers up by check in....we parked in the soft sand to the left as you drive up the hill from the launch.....(not good) some very nice guy with a jeep pulled us out. I parked on the hill while we were at the lake. Did you all leave your boat in the water? I didn't like the beach conditions, so we trailered it............;)

24RODjr
06-06-2004, 08:05 PM
I think that's the ticket. Anything over 23 or 24 feet and you spin unless the front wheels are movin.

Dr. Eagle
06-06-2004, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by 24RODjr
Also, I can laugh a little harder at the people who need 9 guys on their bumper to pull out a 12' Sea Doo boat.
-Chris
Sort of a "bounce brigade"..........;)

24ROD
06-06-2004, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Eagle
Sort of a "bounce brigade"..........;)
It's ok if it's a bunch of chicks in thongs with no tops on.

24RODjr
06-06-2004, 08:09 PM
Sort of a "bounce brigade"..........;) .....Bounce wit me...bounce wit me....can ya, can ya bounce wit me?!?!?!
:-)

Toomstone
06-06-2004, 08:11 PM
at nautical you shouldnt have a problem right? that ramps not real steep.

Dr. Eagle
06-06-2004, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by 24ROD
It's ok if it's a bunch of chicks in thongs with no tops on.
That does make a nice mental visual...

Havasu Hangin'
06-06-2004, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by Debbolas
We saw a couple of cigarette trailers up by check in....we parked in the soft sand to the left as you drive up the hill from the launch.....(not good) some very nice guy with a jeep pulled us out. I parked on the hill while we were at the lake. Did you all leave your boat in the water? I didn't like the beach conditions, so we trailered it............;)
I originally parked there...but moved by check-in. In the soft stuff, I had all four wheels spinning.
In the evening, I saw a couple other people (w/2WD) try it...not good.
I left the boat on the beach...the Skater and Fountain guys liked it parked next to them (rather than a loose pontoon). The other Cigs had slips...I may look into that next time.
Bad beach conditions, eh?

Dr. Eagle
06-06-2004, 08:13 PM
at nautical you shouldnt have a problem right? that ramps not real steep.
I launched my 30 foot Eagle with twin engines there... of course I had 4wd, and it was engaged. No problem whatsoever. It is not paved... my sons friend had a hard time pulling out a double jet ski trailer with 2wd... but it was a Ford... LOL...

Debbolas
06-06-2004, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by Havasu Hangin'
I originally parked there...but moved by check-in. In the soft stuff, I had all four wheels spinning.
In the evening, I saw a couple other people (w/2WD) try it...not good.
I left the boat on the beach...the Skater and Fountain guys liked it parked next to them (rather than a loose pontoon). The other Cigs had slips...I may look into that next time.
Bad beach conditions, eh?
eh? ya for sure, we were on the side, don't ya know?
not in the protected cove.....just didn't feel right, so we pulled out....

cc322
06-06-2004, 08:14 PM
4x4 for me.....always had one always will, right now 2000 expedition 4x4 next? maybe f-250 crew 4x4 one thing's for sure it will be a FORD:D

Toomstone
06-06-2004, 08:15 PM
Dr. Eagle last time i was there i believe that ramp was paved. i think they had it done recently

Dr. Eagle
06-06-2004, 08:15 PM
eh? ya for sure, we were on the side, don't ya know?
not in the protected cove.....just didn't feel right, so we pulled out....
So you were in the new buildings?

Dr. Eagle
06-06-2004, 08:16 PM
Dr. Eagle last time i was there i believe that ramp was paved. i think they had it done recently
Its been a little over a year since I have been there... might have been. When I was there it was gravel...

Toomstone
06-06-2004, 08:21 PM
ya we were there in october or early november and it was paved. i have a denali too which pulls it out fine even at the black meadow ramp.

Dr. Eagle
06-06-2004, 08:23 PM
ya we were there in october or early november and it was paved. i have a denali too which pulls it out fine even at the black meadow ramp.
I was there just about exactly a year before... it wasn't bad at all... just wasn't paved.

Debbolas
06-06-2004, 08:24 PM
So you were in the new buildings?
Yes, VERY NICE big towels, two TV's Two beds plus a fold out sofa, fridge, coffee pot, I LOVED the room. I asked and they said the rooms in the cove were not as nice......:rolleyes:

Dr. Eagle
06-06-2004, 08:26 PM
The rooms in the cove are slated for demolition. I liked our room, it was a handicap room... because I got it last minute. Fitting I suppose;)

GlastronGuy
06-06-2004, 08:30 PM
4 wheel drive in a city truck is like having training wheels on your bicycle.

Debbolas
06-06-2004, 08:30 PM
This is just what I was being teased about at OP6C, they called me a thread jacker and said if they read my post, they had to go up a couple pages to see what the true, original post was about...............LOL;)
I don't know if I would say there again....We LOVE Park Moabi, the best place to stay IMO. If you don't have friends that camp, then maybe, it is just you are far away from everything else, and I don't know...............I just like Park Moabi and Cottonwood better. We are going to AVI in August. I did not like the Hacienda at Lake Mead...BTW:rolleyes:

dicudmore
06-06-2004, 08:35 PM
I pull everything w/my 2wd. Only place I've ever had any spin was windsor....
btw my boat is a 29
Oh, and I spun the tires in titties and beer's 4x4 friday at the nautical pulling the trailer out with no f-ing boat on it. Nice ramp, compared to what I have no idea

OutCole'd
06-06-2004, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by dicudmore
Oh, and I spun the tires in titties and beer's 4x4 friday at the nautical pulling the trailer out with no f-ing boat on it. Nice ramp, compared to what I have no idea
Were you in T&B's crew? Did I miss you at Serrano's Friday night?

Dr. Eagle
06-06-2004, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by GlastronGuy
4 wheel drive in a city truck is like having training wheels on your bicycle.
My bike has training wheels........

24ROD
06-06-2004, 08:41 PM
I know this guy with a 24' Cat that spins like crazy! Just about at every ramp. Site 6, Windsor, Smellsomemore, Perris;) Don't get me wrong nice truck just has this spin at the ramp problem:rolleyes:

Dr. Eagle
06-06-2004, 08:43 PM
This is just what I was being teased about at OP6C, they called me a thread jacker and said if they read my post, they had to go up a couple pages to see what the true, original post was about...............LOL;)
I don't know if I would say there again....We LOVE Park Moabi, the best place to stay IMO. If you don't have friends that camp, then maybe, it is just you are far away from everything else, and I don't know...............I just like Park Moabi and Cottonwood better. We are going to AVI in August. I did not like the Hacienda at Lake Mead...BTW:rolleyes:
I have never stayed at any of those places but the Nautical. And the only thing I thought it had going for it was the boat right outside...

dicudmore
06-06-2004, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by OutCole'd
Were you in T&B's crew? Did I miss you at Serrano's Friday night?
we were kinda introduced. I was there sat too. Black budweiser hat. Pushed you out as you were leaving.
Was good meeting you and mrs outcole'd by the way

OutCole'd
06-06-2004, 08:50 PM
we were kinda introduced. I was there sat too. Black budweiser hat. Pushed you out as you were leaving.
Was good meeting you and mrs outcole'd by the way
Man am I sorry. I was looking forward to hanging and having a beer with you, but the screen name must have went right through me like all the beers I had Friday.
I owe you next time.

dicudmore
06-06-2004, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by OutCole'd
Man am I sorry. I was looking forward to hanging and having a beer with you, but the screen name must have went right through me like all the beers I had Friday.
I owe you next time.
we'll be there fathers day :D

dicudmore
06-06-2004, 08:55 PM
and I think you were kinda pre-occupied sat after bringing in that extra crew you found on the way up river....

OutCole'd
06-06-2004, 08:57 PM
Ya, but I will be in Havasu for the Magic Regatta.

riverbound
06-06-2004, 09:02 PM
I was always taught "better to have and not need than to need and not have" Thats why my tow vehicle is an F-350 diesel 4X4. A little over kill for an 18' boat but I will never have to worry about getting stuck. My tow vehicles will always be 4X4.

Cheap Thrills
06-06-2004, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by UtlGoa
Nope! 2wd with a locker.
My old 67 Chevy has a 12 bolt 4:11 with a locker . 12 + Years haven't been stuck yet. 4x4s are just a headache too many breakables down there .
C.T. :wink:

24ROD
06-06-2004, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by riverbound
I was always taught "better to have and not need than to need and not have" Thats why my tow vehicle is an F-350 diesel 4X4. A little over kill for an 18' boat but I will never have to worry about getting stuck. My tow vehicles will always be 4X4.
Very well said!

CxCx
06-06-2004, 11:23 PM
1ton 4x4 for me. I haven't had to put it in 4wd yet. Guess it's there if I need it. CxCx

JustMVG
06-06-2004, 11:45 PM
Bought a 2wd Excursion, and wished i had gotten the 4wd, but have not had any problems at all with our 21' ultra, only want the 4wd for the mountain journeys and the occasional off road fun run.
Damn i wish i had gotten the Diesel.!!!

v-drive
06-07-2004, 05:01 AM
I got stuck once when I was about 22 (long ass time ago) I have friends that drive 4x4s and I just don't see the need. Most of us don't live like the Waltons anymore. :D v-drive

malibuken
06-07-2004, 08:43 AM
I love my 4x4, and will always have one, I off road alot, but if I were to only have a 2wd, it should at least have a locker or limited slip rear for pulling boats out. Depending on the ramp, the single lung rear will more than likely just spin, especially at the end of the day when the ramp is wet and sandy from everyone else pulling out. do not get me wrong, there are some decent ramps that a standard 2x will work fine, it is all about driver finese. Just my 3 cents here.
The plus with my truck is I have a 2wd LOW and it pulls the 25 footer out just fine on the ramp in 2wd with 12.50 wide tires, but I have the 4x just in case the ramp is bad. :)

24RODjr
06-07-2004, 08:52 AM
...Getting back to 4x4 is overkill until you need it...

nodigg
06-07-2004, 08:57 AM
My last two tow rigs were half ton 2 wheel drive and had ONE problem in 6 years when I dopped off the edge of a concrete ramp at site six. Even 4 wheel drive would not have jumped that any better. (My two wheel limited slip made it out with some big guys on the front of the boat). So 4 wheel drive is NOT required but makes you feel better sometimes.
Remember, when your tires slip, let of the throttle and you will probably look slow but won't ruin your tires for nothing.
my.02

Dr. Eagle
06-07-2004, 09:23 AM
I took a trip to visit my son when he was at Fort Hood in February two years ago. We ended up in the worst ice storm in the last two decades on a secondary highway in Texas. If i hadn't had 4wd we never would have made it IMO...

PlayTime
06-07-2004, 09:30 AM
Bastards,
24Rodjr & 24Rod you guys had to start this thread :(
Ok, yes it was me, Slipping and Sliding up the launch ramp. Those were not two big guys on my bumper those were emergency weights that can be added if needed. By the way a big thanks to those guys, because without them I would still be playing slip and slide up the ramp.
1500HD 6.0 2 Wheel Drive. Pulling a 24SR HTM on a steep wet launch ramp. Yuck, that was ugly. Never had any problems at windsor, but perris killed me.
Wife says she was embarrased that I need to go buy a 4X4. We went shopping for a truck yesterday. Did I order a 2500HD 4x4 LT with a big block and a 6 inch suspension lift? Hmmmmm. I dont believe they sell them with lifts stock of the showroom floor. Hmmmmmm. Is the cat out of the bag, dam must have slipped out. See me in a month and a half.
Keep talking and the day you need that little F150 with half a bed to get pulled out of somewhere we will talk again. My fees are vary minor.
This thread is funny though
:D :D

syke-o
06-07-2004, 10:07 AM
playtime... dont forget the Duramax Diesel!!!!!!:D

PlayTime
06-07-2004, 10:10 AM
Syke-O
Too late, I mean not possible, anyways thats like an extra 8k-16k i think.

RiverToysJas
06-07-2004, 10:14 AM
Only 4wd for me. For the last 15 years, I have had 4wd trucks. With the current '99 Tahoe, pulling the Lavey out is a breeze. In 4wd low, my wife just lifts her foot off the brake and it gently idles up (once out, we swtich back to Auto 4wd or 2 high if the ramp is good). I never worry about the rear tires going too deep or getting into the slime at places like Elsinore.
It costs more upfront, but you get most of it back on the back end when you sell, so I consider that a wash.
As was said, I'd much rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. It also came in useful when I got into the really soft sand with the boat trailer, on my camp site at NMP a couple weeks ago!
4wd = Worth it! ;)
RTJas :D

24RODjr
06-07-2004, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by PlayTime
Bastards,
24Rodjr & 24Rod you guys had to start this thread :(
Ok, yes it was me, Slipping and Sliding up the launch ramp. Those were not two big guys on my bumper those were emergency weights that can be added if needed. By the way a big thanks to those guys, because without them I would still be playing slip and slide up the ramp.
1500HD 6.0 2 Wheel Drive. Pulling a 24SR HTM on a steep wet launch ramp. Yuck, that was ugly. Never had any problems at windsor, but perris killed me.
Wife says she was embarrased that I need to go buy a 4X4. We went shopping for a truck yesterday. Did I order a 2500HD 4x4 LT with a big block and a 6 inch suspension lift? Hmmmmm. I dont believe they sell them with lifts stock of the showroom floor. Hmmmmmm. Is the cat out of the bag, dam must have slipped out. See me in a month and a half.
Keep talking and the day you need that little F150 with half a bed to get pulled out of somewhere we will talk again. My fees are vary minor.
This thread is funny though
:D :D
I didn't start this man...I know the rules. And I never named names!!!:D

LHC30Victory
06-07-2004, 01:40 PM
The only time I spun badly (read going backwards) was at Site 6 with bad tires. That was pulling our old 22 Fourwinns out. We use the nautical (new concrete ramp) not very steep for our 30 Victory and not a bit of problem. Sunday I saw a big old Ford 4X spinning on the very ramp we used. It must have been a case of very heavy foot!
Truck is a 96 Chev 1ton crew 2X.

RiverToysJas
06-07-2004, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by LHC30Victory
Sunday I saw a big old Ford 4X spinning on the very ramp we used. It must have been a case of very heavy foot!
Spinning front and rear, or was the front not engauged?
I see 4wd trucks spin from time to time, but most are in 2wd mode when they do it.
RTJas :D

That Guy
06-07-2004, 01:44 PM
You are absolutely right that when you are able to drive by the chain-up guys in the snow or easily pull out of a slippery ramp, it doesn't matter to me what it costs at that point.....go 4x4

LHC30Victory
06-07-2004, 01:55 PM
RTJ All of the other antics of the party kept me from noticing the front wheels. They seemed to be having such a difficulty getting their boat out - I almost offered to help.

beyondhelpin
06-07-2004, 02:01 PM
4x4 Only way to go if you have a decent size boat. Besides you only pay for the 4x4 once. You usually get most of the added cost of purchase when you sell it. Besides they just look cooler than most 2 wheel drives.

XTRM22
06-07-2004, 02:12 PM
I've owned nothing but 4wd vehicles for 20 years. It's a combination of my Red Neck, and lack of driving ability! If there's a way to get stuck I'll find it, 4wd just limits my exposure to being embarassed. Almost never need 4wd pulling out the 22' at Windsor but having it's like insurance.
Chuck;)

little rowe boat
06-07-2004, 03:09 PM
If I am buying a truck it will be a 4x4.

24ROD
06-07-2004, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by 24RODjr
I didn't start this man...I know the rules. And I never named names!!!:D
I like jr know the rules too;) Did I say it was PlayTime? Hell no I was not refering to you. Just some other guy I saw somewhere.:D:rolleyes: :p

riverbound
06-07-2004, 04:37 PM
This is the only 2 wheel tow vehicle we have but it never has a problem getting stuck on the ramp. Snowy weather sucks though you don't want to put chains on this thing. it does have a locking diff. though.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/681Picture_323-med.jpg

little rowe boat
06-07-2004, 07:08 PM
This is the only 2 wheel tow vehicle we have but it never has a problem getting stuck on the ramp. Snowy weather sucks though you don't want to put chains on this thing. it does have a locking diff. though.
Thats alot of truck,you should be pulling a 40' Hallett with that.

PlayTime
06-07-2004, 07:58 PM
Show Off :D :D

DogHouse
06-07-2004, 09:23 PM
...Did I order a 2500HD 4x4 LT with a big block and a 6 inch suspension lift?
With that truck you'll be stuck at the gas station, no need to worry about those big bad mean old launch ramps! :p
:D

Havasu Hangin'
06-07-2004, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by DogHouse
With that truck you'll be stuck at the gas station, no need to worry about those big bad mean old launch ramps! :p
Yep...I saw 3 MPG on the computer a couple times...
http://www.highperformancecars.com/hhangin/lifted_sub.jpg

JetBoatRich
06-08-2004, 04:46 AM
4WD is the way to go:D some of the lakes we hit, you can launch from the shore and in 2wd you take your chances:eek:

Seadog
06-08-2004, 05:05 AM
After driving about everything the military had, I decided that I was not going anywhere if I had to use 4wd to get out. Besides, a good truck with 2wd is better than a fool with 4wd. My BIL won't have anything but an F350 w/4wd, but he like to go strange places and sometimes needs to with his job.
4wd does nothing on ice. My biggest laugh was when my wife driving our 63 chevy 1/2 ton with 3 on the tree, drove around two guys in their new 4wd trucks because they could get any traction on the ice. Or I should say, they couldn't make use of the traction they had.

BarryMac
06-08-2004, 05:41 AM
I have only had 2wheel drives and so far (knock on wood) I haven't needed 4WD or the fat guys jumping on my bumper.
gjb

Wally_Gator
06-08-2004, 05:52 AM
2 or 4wd, I will take 4wd for me and get rid of the factory tires.
People slipping on ice and launch ramps with 4wd, probable have two main problems.
1. The wrong tires.
and
2. Most importantly, no practical experience or knowledge of how to use a 4wd.
Some people get a 4x4 and say "Hey, I can climb and go through everything, I am invincable (sp)"

mud duck
06-08-2004, 06:29 AM
I owned a three quarter ton 2wd (limited slip) and was fairly happy. I then bought a half ton 2wd (one wheel wonder) and had to get pulled out of several situations. Gravel boat ramps, grassy boat ramps, snowy roads, on frozen lakes, etc. Today I have a one ton 4x4 and have never had any troubles. I doubt I will ever go back to a 2wd for my tow vehicle.

DryHeatOnly
06-08-2004, 01:53 PM
I'm with the majority here...go 4x4. If you can, buy the extra torque too (diesel). ;)
My buddy was trying to pull his 28' Magic Deckboat with his new work truck - Dodge with a Hemi (500hp). All the tires did was spin. He actually had to 'help' himself out with the boat in gear. Too risky!
You can always air-down...but that's a pain in the ass. :(

24ROD
06-08-2004, 05:08 PM
Ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D :D :D

cola
06-08-2004, 08:44 PM
We launch @ Windsor all year, Moabi on the 3 day weekends and at site 6 with my work truck or the Harley supercrew. My wife never spins or has trouble. We also have launched with the Z/71 & never locked the hubs.
Late, Mike&Kim
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1268109_0923_WEB-med.jpg

Dr. Eagle
06-08-2004, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by cola
We launch @ Windsor all year & Moabi on the 3 day weekends and at site 6 with my work truck or the Harley supercrew. My wife never spins or has trouble. We also have launched with the Z/71 & never locked the hubs.
Late, Mike&Kim
Nice rig. Must be the rubber bands you have for tires that give improved traction!!!!!!!!!!! LOL....
How much does the boat/trailer combo weigh?

cola
06-08-2004, 08:51 PM
I weighted it when we had trouble with the warranty on the Carlisle tires. It goes 7300 lbs with gas & gear.
Late.Mike

Dr. Eagle
06-08-2004, 08:53 PM
I weighted it when we had trouble with the warranty on the Carsile tires. It goes 7300 lbs with gas & gear.
Late.Mike
That's about 2400 less than my 2000 30 foot Eliminator... what engine do you have in the truck?
And don't get me (or just about anyone on the boards) started on Carlisle tires...:mad:

cola
06-08-2004, 08:58 PM
That's about 2400 less than my 2000 30 foot Eliminator... what engine do you have in the truck?
And don't get me (or just about anyone on the boards) started on Carlisle tires...:mad:
I have the 5.4 "no supercharger" my tow weight is 8k and the SC trucks are 4500 lbs. More fun to drive but if I wanted a race car it would be the Corvette. Its a truck so it has to work also.

Dr. Eagle
06-08-2004, 08:59 PM
I have the 5.4 "no supercharger" my tow weight is 8k and the SC trucks are 4500 lbs. More fun to drive but if I wanted a race car it would be the Corvette. Its a truck so it has to work also.
How does it do on grades?

cola
06-08-2004, 08:59 PM
Does the Eagle have twins.

Dr. Eagle
06-08-2004, 09:02 PM
Does the Eagle have twins.
Yes it does (did for me I sold it)...

jbtrailerjim
06-08-2004, 09:03 PM
I'm on my 4th 2 wheel drive Ford truck. I've never had trouble pulling the boat off the ramp. My first truck was Ranger 2wd 6 cylinder. I never had a problem pulling my old 22 Essex off the ramp with it. My other 3 trucks have been F-150 2wd. As much as I like the look's of the 4wd drive trucks I just have a hard time justifying a 4wd, when I seem to get along just fine with a 2wd.

Havasu Hangin'
06-08-2004, 09:04 PM
It goes 7300 lbs with gas & gear.
Shit...my boat is 9,500 dry...and about 2,500 for the trailer.

mbrown2
06-08-2004, 09:06 PM
I can't believe it took 4 pages to come to the conclusion it is probably better to get the 4 wheel drive, I voted when there was one page....there are all kinds of tips and tricks to pulling out with 2 wheel, but why hassle...Get on a steep slick ramp, or one when the water is down and you have to leave the concrete area, and you will have hoped for a 4 wheel drive.

Dr. Eagle
06-08-2004, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by mbrown2
I can't believe it took 4 pages to come to the conclusion it is probably better to get the 4 wheel drive, I voted when there was one page....there are all kinds of tips and tricks to pulling out with 2 wheel, but why hassle...Get on a steep slick ramp, or one when the water is down and you have to leave the concrete area, and you will have hoped for a 4 wheel drive.
Ditto..............

cola
06-08-2004, 09:09 PM
How does it do on grades?
Not bad, but if I tow back to Ca. I use the work truck with 350 & 4:10 gears 3/4 ton.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1268chevboat-med.jpg

Dr. Eagle
06-08-2004, 09:11 PM
Not bad, but if I tow back to Ca. I use the work truck with 350 & 4:10 gears 3/4 ton.
I pulled mine with the 3/4 ton suburban with the 8.1L engine. I towed it up over the summit to Tahoe and was passing cars in the passing lanes... Love that engine... except at the pump...;)

unleashed
06-08-2004, 09:11 PM
Yeah, Its pretty much a no brainer get the 4 wheel drive. Trust me on this if you go 2 wheel there will come a time when you wished you had 4 wheel drive. I've pulled many a 2 wheel drive trucks out of the snow and Glamis with my 4 wheel trucks.
Deano
Unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing) :devil:

cola
06-08-2004, 09:16 PM
I have the Z/71 if I need it. I have ran my utility truck down the sand drags. Yes the 4 wheel drive works the best. Just not the only truck I need.
Late, Mike

24ROD
06-09-2004, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by unleashed
Yeah, Its pretty much a no brainer get the 4 wheel drive. Trust me on this if you go 2 wheel there will come a time when you wished you had 4 wheel drive. I've pulled many a 2 wheel drive trucks out of the snow and Glamis with my 4 wheel trucks.
Deano
Unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing) :devil:
All of our group has 4wds except for one. After looking at the voting I think he ( PlayTime) has the picture.

PlayTime
06-09-2004, 05:13 PM
All of our group has 4wds except for one. After looking at the voting I think he ( PlayTime) has the picture.
Ahahhaa got yah. Who owns the Dodge, I believe what you meant to say is, "My wife lets me borrow the 4x4 Dodge" as I only have a 4x2. :D
By reasoning of section 5, article 2, paragraph 4 I too can say I have a 4x4 landcruiser.
(Wifes Landcruiser)

PlayTime
06-09-2004, 05:15 PM
We launch @ Windsor all year, Moabi on the 3 day weekends and at site 6 with my work truck or the Harley supercrew. My wife never spins or has trouble. We also have launched with the Z/71 & never locked the hubs.
Late, Mike&Kim
There was a truck in that picture. I just saw a big friggin boat :D

24ROD
06-09-2004, 05:17 PM
Ahahhaa got yah. Who owns the Dodge, I believe what you meant to say is, "My wife lets me borrow the 4x4 Dodge" as I only have a 4x2. :D
By reasoning of section 5, article 2, paragraph 4 I too can say I have a 4x4 landcruiser.
(Wifes Landcruiser)
I think your right........... As long as she lets me (use it to) tow the boat I'm cool with that:cool:
Wasup you in for this weekend?

PlayTime
06-09-2004, 05:20 PM
Windsor never any problems... But man did perris do a number on me. More like 2, 280pound numbers jumping on my back bumper. Better me stuck at the gas station then at the launch ramp.
I had the wife, kid, parents and i was still a one man crew, Cant wait till the little one backs the truck down the ramp, say in another 16-18 years :D

PlayTime
06-09-2004, 05:24 PM
I think your right........... As long as she lets me (use it to) tow the boat I'm cool with that:cool:
Wasup you in for this weekend?
Saving the gas money for the following weekend going down to Borona in San Diego to do a little gambling.
Parents watching Dylan all weekend.
Can you say ching ching

dc96819
06-10-2004, 05:43 AM
OK if the gas was less