PDA

View Full Version : Knock Knock.......Who's there?

Schiada76
08-21-2002, 10:47 AM
Knock Knock
Who's there?
Red Boat
Red Boat Who?
Red Boat who Knock Knocks :( :( :(
Oops!
I've decided I really HATE Mobil One.
Since I'm tearing everything down again I'm going for cam change and different heads.
Anyone have a set of FINE heads (cast iron ok prefer AL) for a Mark IV with an 871?

gnarley
08-21-2002, 10:59 AM
BradP:
Oops!
I've decided I really HATE Mobil One.So why do you hate Mobil one???

Schiada76
08-21-2002, 11:16 AM
Well it's my own Damn fault actually. I put M1 in my BBC and the oil pressure went from 90#'s to 40#'s. I was stupid enough to make a couple of passes anyway, developed a knock and everyone I've talked to says that stuff is the shits for a performance motor.
Back to 50 or 60 weight on the rebuild. :D

Blown 472
08-21-2002, 12:02 PM
Been there done that, the new kendall in my blown ford, lost a rod bearing :mad:

burbanite
08-21-2002, 01:04 PM
That stuff does 10700 RPM in our IRL engines each race weekend, has done for the last three seasons.......

HammerDown
08-21-2002, 02:04 PM
Blown 472:
Been there done that, the new kendall in my blown ford, lost a rod bearing :mad: Blown 427...are you saying the rod went from Mobil 1??? or the New Kendall????
BTW...thats the BEST avitar I've ever seen on this board!!!

Schiada76
08-21-2002, 04:05 PM
Burbanite, Why did I get the drop in oil pressure? Are the IRL motors set with different oil systems ( I'm sure they are) heat, type of pump clearences etc. If you're running IRL I'm sure you know a hell of lot more than I do. :D

Schiada76
08-21-2002, 04:07 PM
What's her phone #? :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

SK48
08-21-2002, 07:12 PM
I run Mobil 1 in my truck, my wife's car etc. but I won't run it in my boat motors. Too much money invested in them. After all of the talk on these forums, I have not found many people with positive experiences in boats. We have run marathon inboards for years, and can't keep decent oil pressure with it. Also check out Bob Teague's columns in P.B. magazine he doesen't believe in synthetics in boat motors either. He tested them for years in Bob Nordskog's off shore boats, conventional oil in one motor, and synthetic in the other.
Also several issues with roller cams, should not use synthetic oil with a roller with much spring pressure. Bad things happen when the roller slides down the ramp of the camshaft.
Off the subject, Hey Huffpower thanks for all of your spare parts. The precision prop works great on my Hallett Vector. Lots of transom lift, and picked up about 3 M.P.H. on top end, and brought rpm's down a couple hundred over my Menkins prop.

burbanite
08-21-2002, 07:13 PM
BradP:
Burbanite, Why did I get the drop in oil pressure? Are the IRL motors set with different oil systems ( I'm sure they are) heat, type of pump clearences etc. If you're running IRL I'm sure you know a hell of lot more than I do. :D No, I probably don't know more than you, but the good thing is, I learn new things each and every day - a lot of it here on these boards :)
Ninety pounds seems like a lot to begin with, maybe the heavier weight oil was masking a pre-existing problem??
I would expect a drop in pressure with a change in viscosity, but I have not heard of 40 pounds of pressure causing a problem, my guess is that something may already have gone wrong??
The race engines (IRL and CART) have relatively "loose" clearances, friction is an enemy of power, of course they don't last long but that is not a concern.
They are dry sumped because of the benefit gained from a lower center of gravity but it is still just a pump pushing oil through an engine - no magic there.
Oil temps around 100C - 120C, no thermostats, it is all controlled by balancing the air flowing into and out of the radiator ducts so it varies according to speed, amount of debris in the duct, how close the car is to the one in front etc, etc.
I use Havoline synthetic in my BBC, around 50 pounds of pressure, less at idle and being a jet you have to be on the throttle to get anywhere :D :D , no problems in two years.
There is always a definite cause for any type of problem like yours, find out where the noise is coming from and that will give you more of a clue as to the cause. Is it piston, wrist pin, rod bearing, main, thrust? The signs will always be there on the component.
Let us know what you find.

Blown 472
08-22-2002, 05:54 AM
I changed from the old style kendall to the newer stuff, there was some stuff in the old filter but just seemed odd how it went so quick after the change. :rolleyes:

Schiada76
08-22-2002, 08:53 AM
Burbanite, Hey I put this motor together myself, it's my first performance motor, I built it in my garage and I supercharged it. So how could there possible be anything wrong with the buildup? It has to be just the oil right? :D :D :D :D
I'll keep the board posted on my findings, whether you like it or not.
Now about those heads, any recommendations or does anyone have a pair burning a hole in their garage?
bln472,
Come on cut loose with her phone # already!!!!!!! eek! eek! eek! eek!
[ August 22, 2002, 10:02 AM: Message edited by: BradP ]

Blown 472
08-22-2002, 09:51 AM
Now yall dont be talkin smack bout my chick :D :D :D

Schiada76
08-22-2002, 12:40 PM
Hey, Asking for her # aint talking smack! :D

Blown 472
08-23-2002, 06:24 AM
Ok, no smack, just a pic I got from a friend :D

Snowboat
08-23-2002, 07:28 PM
SK48, what kind of non synthetic oil do you use. What's wrong with Shell Rotella T 15w-40?

superdave013
08-23-2002, 10:56 PM
Brad, are you having George @ Clay Smith do your entier engine or are you just getting a cam from him?? He's done a few of my engines and you do get what you pay for with him. I have been very happy with everything he has done for me.

Schiada76
08-24-2002, 05:41 PM
Dave, I don't think I can afford for George to do the whole thing, plus I like to wrench (even with disastous results). But I have been placed on restriction by my VERY fast friends that I can only follow his advice. :D The knock may be a blessing in disguise, I made good horse power when I dynoed it but it seemed to flatten out at WOT. I couldn't tell from what but a good friend of mine went for a pass with me before I hurt it and told to check the cam specs, George said way to small. The good friend is also sending me much head info trying to get me to step up to some high flowing Al heads. OUCH OUCH my aching pocket book!
Do you know anyone that has some heads that want to get rid of?
Thanks for al the responses and info from everyone by the way. :D :D

superdave013
08-24-2002, 05:55 PM
No, don't know of anyone selling any heads right now. You should have George do all your machine work though. I say this because it's not that much more and he puts a complete kit together for you. It's a very very complete kit with everything bagged and tagged. Clean and ready to put toghether. He checks and eyeballs all your parts and makes sure all is good. For guys like me that don't know shit it's good peice of mind.
I would say somethine was up with your deal. It should not have done that just by switching brands of oil.

Schiada76
08-24-2002, 06:11 PM
Next time I call Geroge I'll ask him about a "kit". I didn't know if he would do something like that or not.
Hey I've seen pics of your projects and if you think you don't know shit, where the hell would that leave me? :D :D
It is more probable than not that I did something on the build that caused the failure but the drop in pressure just from the oil change seems really bizarre.
Break Out Another Thousand