PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone explain residential setbacks??

WetWillie
04-03-2006, 09:44 PM
I guess in my neigborhood its 4 ft on the side of my house. Does this mean I cant cant have a structure there? Like barbaque, patio cover, planters??
I have looked it up on the SD city site but cant find the deffinition of setback.
Is it a fire hazard thing? Can you have concreate work there but now wood?
Do fences count??
I dont understand if you buy a 150 x 150 ft lot and and you have 4ft set back on the sides and a 10ft setback on the front does it really mean you bought a 142 x 140ft lot????
Its very confusing!!
Help??

bunny 166
04-03-2006, 09:53 PM
Hey WW, sometimes they allow a fireplace to encroach, but the house can't. Most of the time it's 5 feet~cities vary. Usually A/C condensers encroach on one side of the house. PM Kevin McDonald, he can help you better....This is from the hubby; I don't know any of this stuff, LOL... :p
kevnmcd on the boards.... :boxed:

ROZ
04-03-2006, 09:54 PM
setback is the minimum distance a permanent structure can be from the lot line. There are exceptions, though. For example. In the city of san marcos, a pool can be no closer to the residence than 6 feet. This would be considered a setback as well. Also, you'll find that even fencing and retaining walls have setbacks as well. In the city of san diego there is a 1ft setback from the sidewalk for a fance or wall...
Are you just building a bbq, or are you doing a fireplace as well? I know you'll definitely have a setback for an outdoor fireplace in your backyard ..
You may want to PM Mandelone.. Sheit, PM HDD :D

RiverForUs
04-03-2006, 09:55 PM
I dont understand if you buy a 150 x 150 ft lot and and you have 4ft set back on the sides and a 10ft setback on the front does it really mean you bought a 142 x 140ft lot????
Its very confusing!!
Help??
probably even smaller -- don't forget about the rear setback. :cry:
My understanding is no permanent structure. Concrete slab should be o.k. BBQ and planters as long as they're not built in. Patio cover usually not o.k. if it's attached to the house as most are.

ROZ
04-03-2006, 09:57 PM
Patio cover usually not o.k. if it's attached to the house as most are.
Giant pergola instead :D :D

gnRacer98
04-03-2006, 10:02 PM
Setbacks are for fire protection from neighboring structures. 4'/10' is generous, usually it's 5'/20'. They apply to habitable structures (generally anything with a roof) and include patio trellises, arbors, carports, etc.
Barbeques, fences, planters or porches are considered landscaping and not generally subject to setbacks (unless they include an overhead structure). If your neighborhood has an association there may be further design costraints (CC&Rs, Design Review Boards, etc.).

YeLLowBoaT
04-03-2006, 10:05 PM
another twist.... a fence depending on hight and construction meterail can be consiter a perment structure. so can sheds. Check your local codes.
basicly if you have a pull a permit to build it, its a perment structure.(over most of CA a fence of 6 ft will require a varient or permit.) code varients/ezment( iE corner lots) can also fall under or exculde this.
FWIW the rules are Enforced for large structures ( house, garge, big shed, pools, fireplaces/pits/bbqs) For other stuff, planters, unattacted patio covers, and fences are pretty much ignored unless some 1 complains or you get a NAZI inspector. If something "bad" happends its going to be painful.
lots of rules and regs that change from county to county, city to city and even by sub devlopements.

WetWillie
04-03-2006, 10:18 PM
The issue is that my neighbor complained about a huge play structure before I bought the house (Dont blame him) but when the inspector came to look at it he called out the small patio cover over the barbque. So now the inspector wants that removed. Pain in my ass!! The big play structure is gone and i am having some concrete work done and fire pit.
What i dont understand is what is allowed and not allowed. On the left of the picture is a small wall that is 2ft from the fence. My pool also has a wall that goes around it that is like 2ft from my fince. I have a small yard.
But the inspector has a hard on for this patio cover!!!
Kicker is that while I was on the phone with the inspector I was walking around in the back yard on the phone with the inspector I peeked over my fence and see that my neighbor who comaplined has a full blown huge barbque island build right up to the side of the fence..
He may have opened up a big can of pain in the ass now??
Its all just VERY confussing..
http://www.sandiegocastles.com/Breckenridge11163BBQ.jpg
http://www.sandiegocastles.com/Breckenridge11163Pool2.jpg

1978 Rogers
04-03-2006, 10:26 PM
Typically its the fixed structure, like your house. Fence is OK. Now we build them out of wood up here, so you can take it down if you have to. No big deal. CMU walls coated with plaster like down in the SW might be different. Some codes vary city to city, county to county. Typically up in the NW just can't be anything perminent.

YeLLowBoaT
04-03-2006, 10:26 PM
Did he say why he wanted it gone? Did he give you a code you were violating?
not knowing you local codes I can really say why he didn't like it. ( I do have a couple of Ideas of why....)

ROZ
04-03-2006, 10:32 PM
Move the posts 2 feet over.. That'll really piss him off, and you get a little cover from the sun :D

Riomouse911
04-03-2006, 10:33 PM
If it's made of wood and over the BBQ, that'll surely send the inspectors off the deep end..

WetWillie
04-03-2006, 10:33 PM
I knew you would :)

WetWillie
04-03-2006, 10:34 PM
Didnt think about that... he just said it was a setback issue!
If it's made of wood and over the BBQ, that'll surely send the inspectors off the deep end..

ROZ
04-03-2006, 10:37 PM
My pool also has a wall that goes around it that is like 2ft from my fince. Looks like 2, but its probably 3 ft... That wall "raised bond beam" is the edge of the pool. The waterline or any utility for the pool is suppose to be 36" from the property line.. Then again, it's like Yell said, restrictions will vary even between developments..
Nice yard :)

WetWillie
04-03-2006, 10:38 PM
What cracks me up is my wall going around my pool is like 2 ft from the fence all the way around... What happened to those setback rules??
Most me neighbors are in violation.. hmmm
Move the posts 2 feet over.. That'll really piss him off, and you get a little cover from the sun :D

ROZ
04-03-2006, 10:38 PM
They must love papalas :D

WetWillie
04-03-2006, 10:41 PM
http://www.sandiegocastles.com/Breckenridge11163Play.jpg
Thanks.. you do concrete work yet?? I need to get my sitting area and fire pit done?
Looks like 2, but its probably 3 ft... That wall "raised bond beam" is the edge of the pool. The waterline or any utility for the pool is suppose to be 36" from the property line.. Then again, it's like Yell said, restrictions will vary even between developments..
Nice yard :)

ROZ
04-03-2006, 10:41 PM
What cracks me up is my wall going around my pool is like 2 ft from the fence all the way around... What happened to those setback rules??
Most me neighbors are in violation.. hmmm
Maybe a variance was granted for the pool...
Guess ya needed a house with a bigger lot :D

ROZ
04-03-2006, 10:43 PM
Thanks.. you do concrete work yet?? I need to get my sitting area and fire pit done?
WOW, that was a big play toy!!! crap!

ROZ
04-03-2006, 10:44 PM
I'll PM you the name and number of a guy :cool: he does great work..

WetWillie
04-03-2006, 10:45 PM
Thanks!

YeLLowBoaT
04-03-2006, 10:48 PM
Well here is the section you need here (http://clerkdoc.sannet.gov/legtrain/mc/MuniCodeChapter13/Ch13Art01Division04)
Now heres the bad new... what is you RM # for you lot?? ( it will be in the contract for the house)
After skiming the sections need I saw some things that depend on what RM # you are zoned for.
While your there check for ezments and varinets( you may need to go to county records.....)

HM
04-03-2006, 10:50 PM
I could explain it, but then I would have to kill you. :skull:

YeLLowBoaT
04-03-2006, 10:51 PM
Just be glald your not in the bayarea.... the inspectors over there are so nazi they would make hitler look like a school girl.... oh and they are nepatist(gd dads get thier kids jobs...)

WetWillie
04-03-2006, 11:02 PM
What I was asking was is there a definition for setback?? Is this a no mans land or do certain rules apply to it??
Well here is the section you need here (http://clerkdoc.sannet.gov/legtrain/mc/MuniCodeChapter13/Ch13Art01Division04)
Now heres the bad new... what is you RM # for you lot?? ( it will be in the contract for the house)
After skiming the sections need I saw some things that depend on what RM # you are zoned for.
While your there check for ezments and varinets( you may need to go to county records.....)

YeLLowBoaT
04-03-2006, 11:09 PM
What I was asking was is there a definition for setback?? Is this a no mans land or do certain rules apply to it??
there are several definitions for set backs... it all depends on exactly how your lot is zoned... there are diffrent types in the case of SD its RM #. each has diffrent rules. which is why I was asking. Some of them give a general distance others give a % of lot size or main structure size.