PDA

View Full Version : Intercooler water system

T-Bag
04-04-2003, 09:58 PM
If any body is running a chiller what kind of water pump and how do you have it plumbed????

SteveDavid
04-04-2003, 10:33 PM
Yes, I'm running Whipples with their innercooler. We've kept the stock raw water pump from Merc (these were 500 efi's), eliminated the circ pump and went to a cross over. The discharge out of the raw water pump tees off to the chiller. There is still plenty to cool the engine, and maintain about 18 lbs. of water pressure from 2800 RPM and up.
My water temp never goes above 120 and stays at 100 unless we're running 4000 RPM or higher for an extended time (which is about where boost kicks in) in which it goes to 120.
I'm runnin Bravo XR drives 1.36 ratio, with low water pickups. Dustin has recommended separate pickups for the chiller and engine where you don't have enough water pressure, but that hasn't been a problem.
This is a triple engine installation in a 43' Black Thunder, app. 13,000 pounds.
Hope that helps you,
Steve

Craig
04-05-2003, 07:00 AM
I'm running a Super Chiller. I have a seperate pickup in the bottom of the boat which feeds to a sea strainer then to the chiller.

T-Bag
04-05-2003, 08:59 AM
Craig:
I'm running a Super Chiller. I have a seperate pickup in the bottom of the boat which feeds to a sea strainer then to the chiller. Do you force feed the water or do you run a electric remote pump and what size hoses in and out of the chiller??

Infomaniac
04-05-2003, 11:18 AM
We are running forced water through the intercooler then through the oil cooler and out the transom. #10 hose everywhere.
Forced water will not be cooling the intake or oil during idle. Helps fuel puddling and cooling cold oil otherwise.

T-Bag
04-05-2003, 11:30 AM
Infomaniac:
We are running forced water through the intercooler then through the oil cooler and out the transom. #10 hose everywhere.
Forced water will not be cooling the intake or oil during idle. Helps fuel puddling and cooling cold oil otherwise. What size blower and what percent of overdrive are you running?????

Craig
04-05-2003, 12:09 PM
T-Bag:
Do you force feed the water or do you run a electric remote pump and what size hoses in and out of the chiller?? [/QB]I force feed it in through the bottom of the boat. I use a -12 braided hose in and a -10 braided hose out, per PFM

Infomaniac
04-05-2003, 01:13 PM
T-Bag:
Infomaniac:
Forced water will not be cooling the intake or oil during idle. Helps fuel puddling and cooling cold oil otherwise. What size blower and what percent of overdrive are you running????? Quad rotor whipple 10 lbs sometimes 14 lbs.

Unchained
04-05-2003, 01:33 PM
Ron,
Explain to me about feeding the intercooler and oil cooler through a hole in the bottom of the boat. How much pressure/flow will that get and at what speed?
I need to address the same plumbing soon. I was going to feed it from the jet pump but I don't want too much pressure either.
When you pickup water from the bottom of the boat do you need a diagonal cut on the pickup tube facing forward or is just flush with the bottom OK ?

T-Bag
04-05-2003, 02:24 PM
Unchained:
Ron,
Explain to me about feeding the intercooler and oil cooler through a hole in the bottom of the boat. How much pressure/flow will that get and at what speed?
I need to address the same plumbing soon. I was going to feed it from the jet pump but I don't want too much pressure either.
When you pickup water from the bottom of the boat do you need a diagonal cut on the pickup tube facing forward or is just flush with the bottom OK ? If you run out of the jet pump use a valve to adjust the water pressure and in one of the ports of the chiller screw in a pres gauge to see, I was told 20 -30 psi.

Infomaniac
04-05-2003, 02:40 PM
I do not have the fitting yet. I think they recommend a 1/4" taper to the fitting. I plan to install a relief valve because ram pressure will be way too much at 120 MPH.
I am not going to run more than 10 or 15 lbs of pressure. Pressure is not important unless it is too much. As long as there is enough flow it is OK.
I would not recommend a regular valve to limit pressure from the pump. It causes air in the system by blocking flow while trying to keep pressure down. A relief valve is the way to go.
The engine water in the Cougar is force feed with no pump. It is flowing water as soon as the boat is on plane. It has a very small fwd facing pickup.
[ April 05, 2003, 02:42 PM: Message edited by: Infomaniac ]

Snowboat
04-06-2003, 02:21 AM
My Blower Shop intercooler arrived today. You know its a good piece when the wife squeals "that looks expensive!". I put a #12 water pickup in the hull, next to the engine water pickup. The dump line will be #10. They suggested a relief valve also. Does anyone have a part number for a good valve? CP has some in their catalog, but $75.00 each seemed a little steep. I want a relief for the engine water pressure, also.

VD CRUISER
04-06-2003, 05:15 AM
I run a Super Chiller under a 10:71 with 10.5 lbs boost. I have a forward facing angled pickup on the cav. plate with a # 12 hose going to a "T" to a relief valve and on to the inlet of the chiller, the outlet is #10 split with a #8 going to the V-drive and a # 10 going overboard. Don't know what pressure the chiller sees but the reielf valve opens at about 12 psi. I'm sure the pressure in the chiller is greater than 12 psi at speed, because the relief valve can't handle all of the volume.

Infomaniac
04-06-2003, 08:16 AM
This valve is for the engine water on the Cougar. I bought it in town it think from Graingers for 10.00 or so. Has stainless internals. Had to put a softer spring in it because it had a higher operating range. Bought a spring at Ace Hardware for a dollar.
Must have pissed off somebody. Cost me a star overnight.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/524/211Relief_Valve_640-med.jpg
[ April 06, 2003, 09:56 AM: Message edited by: Infomaniac ]

Snowboat
04-06-2003, 12:30 PM
Excellent, and thanks. I have two of those already, from a previous project. I'll preset them tonight with an air regulator. Fifteen pounds for the engine. The cooler is rated at 100 psi. I'll try twenty-five for the cooler.

Infomaniac
04-06-2003, 12:54 PM
I would use a bit less than 15 myself. 7 - 10 is what my personal preference is.

Snowboat
04-07-2003, 04:58 AM
Sounds good. I was just thinking of radiator cap pressure, thinking that would cool better. I'll use 7 to 10.

superdave013
04-10-2003, 06:26 AM
T-Bag:
If any body is running a chiller what kind of water pump and how do you have it plumbed???? T-Bag, I ran a superchiller on my flat. Like you i had the heat turned up. Made about 30psi of blower boost.
I force fed it with a -8 pick up but also had a small pump (Teel from granger) that would move water through it when sitting at the holding rope.
I had it plumped with a bypass (with check valve) around the pump so it would force feed around it at speed and the little pump wouldn't restrict the flow. The outlet of the chiller had a -12 dump and I didn't run any relief valve. It seemed to work ok and the boat did run over 130.
On my cruiser I'm not going to use a pump on the intercooler but a drag boat will leave better if you move some water through it at the rope.