View Full Version : Paint Job Costs.

dmontzsta
06-07-2004, 09:05 PM
What do paint jobs usually cost? nothing crazy, just all white with a deck design (3 Colors) I am thinking of really fixing the cracks and stringers in the off season. Just wondering if any of you know what paint usually costs. Is it pretty close to the price of a car?
What does the infamous Billy B paint jobs cost?
Thanks.

WHITIE
06-07-2004, 09:19 PM
PRICELESS!!

Kindsvater Flat
06-07-2004, 09:20 PM
I would say between 5 and 10k

dmontzsta
06-07-2004, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by Kindsvater Flat
I would say between 5 and 10k
For the Billy B or just a regular joe schmoe?

SUI-CY-COLE
06-07-2004, 09:26 PM
the best painters in the valley hands down,---email address is fomoco63@aol.com,they just finished my boat awesome work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! very reasonable,,ask for clint tell him rich sent ya.........you cant go wrong.

dmontzsta
06-07-2004, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by SUI-CY-COLE
the best painters in the valley hands down,---email address is fomoco63@aol.com,they just finished my boat awesome work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! very reasonable,,ask for clint tell him rich sent ya.........you cant go wrong.
how much did you spend if you dont mind me asking? any pics of your boat?

uclahater
06-07-2004, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by dmontzsta
What do paint jobs usually cost? nothing crazy, just all white with a deck design (3 Colors) I am thinking of really fixing the cracks and stringers in the off season. Just wondering if any of you know what paint usually costs. Is it pretty close to the price of a car?
Thanks.
Take your boat to Billy Bs in Upland and let him look at it. All paint jobs are custom and cost are dependant upon the condition of the boat and how much time its going to take. You'll find out more about your boat with one trip there and the condition of it than through online pics and guessing:cool:
Just my .02

Boatmike
06-07-2004, 10:12 PM
Brian Dunn in Clovis Ca. does some killer work.

BILLY.B
06-08-2004, 05:15 AM
Thanks. Nothing against your question dmontzsta but I cringe everytime this question comes up. The real question should be how much can you afford "OR" do you want to spend??. There are several good painters out there that can do a good job and there are the butchers that can do the job for a good price (or so you think) only to have to do it all over again because it wasn't prep'd right or they used cheap material. When that happens you usually spend twice as much fixing it and now your into it for more then the good painter wanted to begin with. Several things go into the price....
1.Condition of the hull.....PREP TIME!!!
2.Materials....Do you want to pay for the good stuff or the cheap stuff. I use PPG / Dupont / House of Color /. For the really trick jobs i'll make my own colors which can get quite expensive.
3.Design or Layout....How many colors and how wild.
4.Pinstripping charge. Since all the colors are pinstriped in between them, the more colors a person goes the more expensive the pinstripe charge is going to be.
5. Lettering....Name / CF'S etc.
Example...Had a gentelman come by the shop for a estimate on a boat that another shop had painted. The boat was 3 colors" VERY COSERVATIVE" with a really bad attempt of a flame layout on the deck. He paid $5500.00 to paint the boat. After he left UCLAHATER and I just shook our heads in disbelief. If I had charged that kind of cash for a job like that i'd never of heard the end of it from my so called hot boat "BUDDIES". Bottom line...."You get what you pay for". I'd be more then happy to take a look at it for you and if you have time and your on a budget I can always tell you what to do to prep it and that can save you $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. 909-982-8555.

FlatStupid
06-08-2004, 06:47 AM
Originally posted by BILLY.B
Nothing against your question dmontzsta but I cringe everytime this question comes up. The real question should be how much can you afford "OR" do you want to spend??. There are several good painters out there that can do a good job and there are the butchers that can do the job for a good price (or so you think) only to have to do it all over again because it wasn't prep'd right or they used cheap material. When that happens you usually spend twice as much fixing it and now your into it for more then the good painter wanted to begin with. Several things go into the price....
2.Materials....Do you want to pay for the good stuff or the cheap stuff. I use PPG / Dupont / House of Color /. For the really trick jobs i'll make my own colors which can get quite expensive.
4.Pinstripping charge. Since all the colors are pinstriped in between them, the more colors a person goes the more expensive the pinstripe charge is going to be.
Example...Had a gentelman come by the shop for a estimate on a boat that another shop had painted. The boat was 3 colors" VERY COSERVATIVE" with a really bad attempt of a flame layout on the deck. He paid $5500.00 to paint the boat. After he left UCLAHATER and I just shook our heads in disbelief. If I had charged that kind of cash for a job like that i'd never of heard the end of it from my so called hot boat "BUDDIES". Bottom line...."You get what you pay for". I'd be more then happy to take a look at it for you and if you have time and your on a budget I can always tell you what to do to prep it and that can save you $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. 909-982-8555. So I don't get it, a guy asked a simple question and John Kerry shows up!:D :D Come on BB even a simple guy from Mt. knows " Lots and that's just an estimate":rolleyes:

dmontzsta
06-08-2004, 06:56 AM
Nothing against your question dmontzsta but I cringe everytime this question comes up. The real question should be how much can you afford "OR" do you want to spend??. There are several good painters out there that can do a good job and there are the butchers that can do the job for a good price (or so you think) only to have to do it all over again because it wasn't prep'd right or they used cheap material. When that happens you usually spend twice as much fixing it and now your into it for more then the good painter wanted to begin with. Several things go into the price....
Example...Had a gentelman come by the shop for a estimate on a boat that another shop had painted. The boat was 3 colors" VERY COSERVATIVE" with a really bad attempt of a flame layout on the deck. He paid $5500.00 to paint the boat. After he left UCLAHATER and I just shook our heads in disbelief. If I had charged that kind of cash for a job like that i'd never of heard the end of it from my so called hot boat "BUDDIES". Bottom line...."You get what you pay for". I'd be more then happy to take a look at it for you and if you have time and your on a budget I can always tell you what to do to prep it and that can save you $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. 909-982-8555.
Good stuff Billy and so true. I am just the type of guy that spends every bit I get and doesnt save much, so I was curious as to what range I need to save up. I guess the best way is when I am ready to bring it to you and get an estimate. Then I will know exactly what I need to save. BTW: I am trying to change my spending as we speak, I dont want to end up like Rich Dad from "Rich Dad Poor Dad" you will know what I am talking about if you have read the book. :) Thanks again Billy, I hope to meet you at the V Drive regatta.

wsuwrhr
06-08-2004, 03:15 PM
I have posted several shots of several boats Billy B has painted.
Way cool guy to deal with, and knows his shit. I am amazed at the designs he comes up with.
Go by his shop and see for yourself. He isn't too far from you.
Check out my photo gallery, there are several pictures of boats he has painted.
Brian

RaysonKid
06-08-2004, 04:45 PM
The materials will be a huge part of the cost.
Spend the money for quality stuff.
When we painted my brothers Sanger.
The materials alone totaled $2,000 to 2,500.
Good thing I work cheap.... Beer and Pizza...;)

wsuwrhr
06-08-2004, 07:12 PM
Good labor isn't cheap, cheap labor isn't good.
You get what you pay for
Brian

Jake W
06-09-2004, 05:26 AM
I have allways wanted to get some of your guys thoughts.
I had a boat painted House of Kolor Tangilo orange hot pink and lime time green(Candies of corse).
I towed it to the lake just about every other week end last summer.It is about 2 hrs away every time I got back home their was a new chip on the trailer of boat road tar ect.I think the marerials were around 2000 bucks for the boat and trailer.
I personaly will never paint a boat agine and am going to go with gell coat this time around.I ended up selling the hull trailer for less than I had in the materials for the H O K paint.
Do you guys have much trouble with these 10 grand paint jobs.
Things that suck about paint on a boat
Leave a unbreathable cover on too long and get blisters
rock chips
if you get gas on it under the cover and do not know it it could lift the paint.
very easy to scratch and very hard to blend.
you gus have any more.
Good things about paint
Way better color selection
easier to work with
Well thats all I can come up with.
Jake:D

superdave013
06-09-2004, 06:01 AM
Jake, I think alot depends on the intended use of the boat. Most flats NEVER get tied up to a dock. No one ever gets on the deck also.
I made some easy to remove mount to hold some huge mud flaps. I got the flaps from some big rig supply shop. They worked real well. Paint was over 12 years old when I sold it. Sorry for the crappy photo of a photo.
Now my curiser is gonna see some docks (and that will hurt my feelings) and people will be on the deck for sure. I went gel coat with that boat.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/9jpn_river_ready-med.jpg

infotraker
06-09-2004, 07:29 AM
I,m getting my 77 Sanger Pickle back from Canyon Boats in Lodi Ca. this week with new paint. I had Precision Stripping in Lodi strip off the multi colored target as it was very thick for $500. Saved lots on sanding. The boat is all white with 3 colors of blue fading into each other with a little silver and black. Going to see it today ! Cost about 4K. for painting plus the $500 for media stripping. I'll post pictures soon. Kevin at Canyon is a very good painter. Need to get it altogether for CFW Fathers Day.

HM
06-09-2004, 10:05 AM
Here is your best option: Buy my bare hull & trailer for $7,500. It has a $10,000 paint job by Dick Vale, balsa laminate flooring, blue printed bottom on a new custom trailer. Then, gut your boat, transfer everyting into your new boat and sell the hull & trailer for $2,000. Thus, you only spend $5,500!!!!!! You would be money ahead my friend!! Just ask BillyB if Vale does acceptable work.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/524/290BOAT001.JPG http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/524/290BOAT002.JPG

dmontzsta
06-09-2004, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by HolyMoly
Here is your best option: Buy my bare hull & trailer for $7,500. It has a $10,000 paint job by Dick Vale, balsa laminate flooring, blue printed bottom on a new custom trailer. Then, gut your boat, transfer everyting into your new boat and sell the hull & trailer for $2,000. Thus, you only spend $5,500!!!!!! You would be money ahead my friend!! Just ask BillyB if Vale does acceptable work.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/524/290BOAT001.JPG http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/524/290BOAT002.JPG
Good idea, if you still have it in the winter, I might have to think about it as maybe a second boat. The thing is this Lavey is a father/son project for the last 7 years and our first boat together, so it has some emotional value. If I sold it, my father would be a little sad. :) I am not trying to make it the fastest boat in the world, but I can fit 3 people easily and go out and blast around the lake and have a good time. I hope to hit high 80's with it and that should be enough. Just a built FE. Maybe along the lines I will pick up a runner and get that triple digit mark. :)

HM
06-09-2004, 10:19 AM
Good idea, if you still have it in the winter, I might have to think about it as maybe a second boat. The thing is this Lavey is a father/son project for the last 7 years and our first boat together, so it has some emotional value. If I sold it, my father would be a little sad. :) I am not trying to make it the fastest boat in the world, but I can fit 3 people easily and go out and blast around the lake and have a good time. I hope to hit high 80's with it and that should be enough. Just a built FE. Maybe along the lines I will pick up a runner and get that triple digit mark. :)
:D I had to ask!! By the way, before I had buckets, I had a back-to-back bench that sat 4 very comfortably. You can see it in the bottom half of this picture. Also, what makes you think it wouldn't be a father/son project to transfer hardware??;)
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/524/290RMP01-med.JPG

dmontzsta
06-09-2004, 10:47 AM
:D I had to ask!! By the way, before I had buckets, I had a back-to-back bench that sat 4 very comfortably. You can see it in the bottom half of this picture. Also, what makes you think it wouldn't be a father/son project to transfer hardware??;)
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/524/290RMP01-med.JPG
That is a nice set up, what happened to them?

V-DRIVE VIDEO
06-09-2004, 10:58 AM
Donald, thats my "War Wagon Hondo" to the right of Molys beautiful Mandela.
Jerry

WILDERTHANU
06-09-2004, 11:09 AM
BILLY BEEEE, HE'S MY HERO..........
Http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/524/275IMG_0630-med.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/275IMG_06313.jpg

dmontzsta
06-09-2004, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by V-DRIVE VIDEO
Jerry
NICE! I finally get a glimpse of it. Although, it doesn look like a war wagon to me. :) What motor is in it there?

HM
06-09-2004, 12:16 PM
That is a nice set up, what happened to them?
I had to butcher them a bit when I put new gas tanks in. Then I tossed them in the garbage after that when I got buckets. I had framed them out myself and had them upholstered. They looked cool from a distance ;) .

HM
06-09-2004, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by V-DRIVE VIDEO
Jerry
That was a while ago!! That was my first and only attendance to a Classic V-drive event - and it was a trailer queen party. Well, for some, it was just the same ol' thang. :eek: :eek:
The Penzoil boat in the background is also a Dick Vale job.
My brother had Vale quote on his 24 Spectra. $18,000 (for 3 "basic" colors). I think Vale is getting $30K - $40K for the big offshore boats. Vale just re-configured his shop so he could get the big boats in his booth.

dmontzsta
06-09-2004, 01:29 PM
That was a while ago!! That was my first and only attendance to a Classic V-drive event - and it was a trailer queen party. Well, for some, it was just the same ol' thang. :eek: :eek:
The Penzoil boat in the background is also a Dick Vale job.
My brother had Vale quote on his 24 Spectra. $18,000 (for 3 "basic" colors). I think Vale is getting $30K - $40K for the big offshore boats. Vale just re-configured his shop so he could get the big boats in his booth.
For that much I would rather represent my boat as a war wagon with bondo all over it. :) 30-40k is NICE new boat time.

BILLY.B
06-10-2004, 05:44 AM
Originally posted by Jake W
I have allways wanted to get some of your guys thoughts.
I personaly will never paint a boat again.
Do you guys have much trouble with these 10 grand paint jobs.
Things that suck about paint on a boat
Leave a unbreathable cover on too long and get blisters
rock chips
if you get gas on it under the cover and do not know it it could lift the paint.
very easy to scratch and very hard to blend.
you gus have any more.
Good things about paint
Way better color selection
easier to work with
Well thats all I can come up with.
Jake:D OK Jake you should of called me for the protection program that I give... if asked to all my customers.
1. PAINT vs GEL... It doesn't matter if it's gel or paint, covering your boat with a unbreathable cover will destroy it EVEN GEL. Fiberglass needs to breath. Paint just reacts sooner. My DAD covered our family boat one winter with a plastic cover and it screwed it all up and it was GEL.
2. CHIPS...I tell all my customers to buy a tow cover. Custom Canvas by my shop makes a real nice tow cover with a liner for about $1200.00 bucks. CHEAP INSURANCE compared to touching it up all the time and getting PISSED OFF :mad: . Plus I had some pads that rap around the front of my trailer and it's stayed perfect.
3. GAS STAINS. If you have 10 gallon tanks you never fill them to the top unless your gonna use it right away and the most important thing....YOU NEVER LEAVE THE TANKS FULL AND LEAVE THE BOAT ON THE TRAILER WITH THE TRAILER ANGLE POINTING DOWN HILL. I can't tell you how many repair jobs i've done over the years with this exact problem
3. Blending scratches... Need a better painter :D :D :D, Just kidding.
4. New boat...Good luck with your uncolorful gel coated boat and watch the docks, those nails are killer on what ever finish you have..:eek!: :D :D

Hud
06-10-2004, 06:02 AM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/11918760-1f_1_.GIF A big C'mon! :D

dmontzsta
06-10-2004, 06:03 AM
I am pretty sure I have paint right now. There are no visible chips from towing.

Jake W
06-10-2004, 06:28 AM
Billy all good points.And I hear you on it will only stay nice if you take care of it.Alot of the chips were on the trailer I guess I could haver wraped bubble wrap around the whole thing every where I took it:eek: .Even now the trailer will still be paint so gell is not helping that anyway.
I really like the clean and bright colored flats.Your brothers Sanger very nice and very clean.
You are right about all the gell colors not being really bright but it will stand more abuse than paint will.Oyea no nails on my dock just pads;)
Jake:D

FlatStupid
06-10-2004, 07:45 AM
OK Jake you should of called me for the protection program that I give... if asked to all my customers.
1. PAINT vs GEL... It doesn't matter if it's gel or paint, covering your boat with a unbreathable cover will destroy it EVEN GEL. Fiberglass needs to breath. Paint just reacts sooner. My DAD covered our family boat one winter with a plastic cover and it screwed it all up and it was GEL.
2. CHIPS...I tell all my customers to buy a tow cover. Custom Canvas by my shop makes a real nice tow cover with a liner for about $1200.00 bucks. CHEAP INSURANCE compared to touching it up all the time and getting PISSED OFF :mad: . Plus I had some pads that rap around the front of my trailer and it's stayed perfect.
3. GAS STAINS. If you have 10 gallon tanks you never fill them to the top unless your gonna use it right away and the most important thing....YOU NEVER LEAVE THE TANKS FULL AND LEAVE THE BOAT ON THE TRAILER WITH THE TRAILER ANGLE POINTING DOWN HILL. I can't tell you how many repair jobs i've done over the years with this exact problem
3. Blending scratches... Need a better painter :D :D :D, Just kidding.
4. New boat...Good luck with your uncolorful gel coated boat and watch the docks, those nails are killer on what ever finish you have..:eek!: :D :D Billy you told me the answer was easy 10,000 dollar paint job, 15000 dollar enclosed trailer:D :D :D