PDA

View Full Version : Hyd Roller Lifters

paradigm shift
11-03-2002, 06:41 PM
Any of you run Crane Hyd Rollers 13532 and have trouble. I have a brand new set and one does not want to pump up very well. It will if you can stand to run it that long but when you let it idle it will come and go at times? Checked adjust several times and I am convinced the lifter is bad. All the others seem fine best I can tell. Going to give Crane a call tomorrow and see what they say. I know I will at least replace the one set but I am not sure about the others. Replace them All?

Infomaniac
11-03-2002, 07:26 PM
Lifters are the best oil filter. If the smallest speck of debris is in the oil the lifter will find it.

paradigm shift
11-03-2002, 07:35 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Infomaniac:
[QB]Lifters are the best oil filter. If the smallest speck of debris is in the oil the lifter will find it.
Anything is possible. Not the first rebuild I have done but this would be the first time I have had lifter trouble from dirt. So replace the one set and go. I am not expecting much help from Crane on this.
Infomaniac are you a solid roller man. Not sure Hyd Rollers are that troouble free after using them the last 3 years. Always used Crane. Don't know if that is a good thing or not.
[ November 03, 2002, 07:48 PM: Message edited by: paradigm shift ]

Infomaniac
11-03-2002, 10:12 PM
I have used both. Solid lately.
Last I checked you will be lucky to find a set of hydraulic rollers anywhere.

78DiMarco
11-05-2002, 09:29 AM
I am using a set of Comp Cams retro hyd roller lifters (part number 854-16) on my BBC turbo motor. I purchased them in the spring of 2001. So far they seem to be working real nice, no issues.....
[ November 05, 2002, 09:30 AM: Message edited by: 78DiMarco ]

paradigm shift
11-05-2002, 05:57 PM
Sent mine to Crane. See what they say when they call. I was told they have them in stock so I should be able to get a replacement. I know Teague said they are getting scarce but they had complete sets but would not break them up. :rolleyes: Last Time I checked Summit did not have them on B/O yet as for complete sets. No partials to be had.
Dimarco thanks I have been considering Comp lifters. I'll wait and see what happens. What cam are you running, or should I say what are the specs. How tight do you turn it RPM and any idea how many HRS. Mine is in a big deep vee and lives at 3500 to 4000 rpm for cruise. A whole different game than when I had 20' Belmont Vee-Drive.

78DiMarco
11-06-2002, 10:59 AM
PS, take a look at the tread in Blower Motors "Banks and boost" I have listed the cam specs there.
I have a buddy that designs blowers and he swears by Comp Cams. So far so good for me.
The motor has a rev limiter now set at 6K. I can hit it with no problem. The motor originally was a 650hp Gale Banks Twin Turbo. It now is in the 700 HP range with my upgrades to the ingintion, cam, pistons and so on. A good running motor if I do say.

78DiMarco
11-06-2002, 11:04 AM
One last thing, this motor will run all day at 4000 RPM. It's in a 21ft semi V cruiser with a V-drive. I can run from dam to dam on the Parker strip (15 miles) at 4 grand with no problem.
[ November 07, 2002, 04:10 PM: Message edited by: 78DiMarco ]

paradigm shift
11-07-2002, 01:22 PM
Thanks Dimarco. Just as an FYI I recieved a new set from Crane today to replace my other. Lifters were fine according to Crane? Not enough preload. BS I know I adjusted them. Either way they replaced them only cost me shipping and intake gasket set. :)