PDA

View Full Version : Park Moabi Marina, The Porter Family

Debbolas
06-08-2004, 05:58 AM
Here is the latest.............................:(
Hi Deb,
Thank you so much for your kind words. And thank you for your letters to the County Supervisor.
Yes, let Hot Boat friends do their thing, blow the supervisors out of their chairs, and we would love to hear from all. We are not going down without a fight.
Thank you again,
The Porter Family
----- Original Message -----
To: Park Moabi Marina
Sent: Tuesday, June 01, 2004 2:51 PM
Subject: Re: Park Moabe
Ok, I wrote back to the Zook guy, do you want me to get people on ***boat.com to e-mail him again?
I am so sorry about this. My prayers are with you and your family. Do you want your e-mail published on ***boats so you can hear from some people that have stayed at Moabi. Many of them remember your daughters accident.
Take Care!
Deb
Dear Mrs. Flanagan,
Thank you for your concern for the Parker family and your interest in the operation of the park. Although I do not personally know the Parker family, it is evident by the emails in support of their family that they were very appreciated.
The Department of Regional Parks was required by County policy to solicit other proposals and select the highest scoring proposer. This was required because of the expiration of the previous contract. Additionally, it would be inappropriate for the Board of Supervisors to try to influence or dictate the outcome of the selection process. In addition to those facts, the selection process has already been completed.
Thank you again for your concern.
Sincerely,
David Zook
Field Representative to
BILL POSTMUS
Supervisor, First District
County of San Bernardino
(760) 955-5400
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, June 01, 2004 2:49 PM
To: Zook, David (BOS)
Cc: Park Moabi our favorite place; Park Moabi Marina
Dear Mr. Zook,
My concern with Park Moabi is that that Parker Family has been a part of that park for such a long time, and really, made it what it is today. To remove them from their dream, is cruel and just not smart. Park Moabi would not be the success it is today, if they were not manageing the marina. They have seen that park through many of their own personal tragedies. Park Moabi is a part of their family. They are like family to us when we go there. I can't understand the reason why you would want to "fix" what is not broken.
Sincerely,
Deb Flanagan
To: Debbo
Sent: Monday, May 31, 2004 11:55 AM
Hello,
NO, we did not get the contract. Two men from Arizona did. However, the Board of Supervisors, have not signed or given the ok until June 15th. Miracles can happen. We are in the process of selling everything we own and getting ready to move. We will have to look for jobs and start out once again.
We want to thank you all for all your thoughts and support. We will update our Webpage and let you all know what happens.
Again thank you, The Porter Family
To: Park Moabi Marina ; Park Moabi our favorite place
Sent: Friday, May 28, 2004 9:08 AM
Subject: Fw: Park Moabi
Did you guys get the conciession? Let me know so I can post it on Hot Boat.com.
Thanks!
Deb
To: '2debbo@earthlink.net'
Sent: Friday, May 28, 2004 8:58 AM
Subject: FW: Park Moabe
Dear Mrs. Flanagan,
Thank you for taking the time to contact our office regarding your concerns with the Moabi Regional Park concession contract. In response to your request, I would like to provide the following information regarding the contract.
On June 30, 2004 the Moabi Regional Park Marina concession contract will expire. Pursuant to County Policy No. 08-03-02, Regional Parks was required to utilize a request for proposals or solicitation of proposals process to seek proposals from individuals or entities, including the current concessionaires, which might be interested in operating the marina.
On February 14, 2004 through February 23, 2004 Regional Parks advertised the concession opportunity in numerous newspapers. On March 1, 2004 a mandatory meeting was held for all those interested in operating the marina.
Regional Parks received five proposals. Each proposal received was submitted by an eligible individual including the current concessionaire. Each proposal was then evaluated based on the criteria listed in the Solicitation of Proposal.
On April 21, 2004, each proposer was asked to present their proposal to a panel of five. Upon the final interview the panel individually scored each proposal based on a predetermined set of weighted questions. The scores were then tallied and the panel discussed the results. The proposer with the highest score was selected. Park Moabi River Marina Inc. was the applicant selected for this contract.
Please feel free to contact us again should you have any other matter with which I may be of assistance.
Sincerely,
David Zook
Field Representative to
BILL POSTMUS
Supervisor, First District
County of San Bernardino
(760) 955-5400
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, April 21, 2004 2:10 PM
To: Supervisor Postmus
Subject: Park Moabe
Please do not take Park Moabe away from the Porter Family. They have done an excellend job of running that place and do not deserve this.
Sincerely,
Deb Flanagan
P.S. I vote!!!

Debbolas
06-08-2004, 06:10 AM
Zook, David (BOS)
E-mail Address(es):
dzook@sbcounty.gov
Park Moabi our favorite place
E-mail Address(es):
moabi@ctaz.com
Park Moabi Marina
E-mail Address(es):
pmmarina@mohaveaz.com

Debbolas
06-08-2004, 11:47 AM
bump;)

twistedpair
06-08-2004, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Floatin'
I don't understand :confused: The Porters took over the concession at Park Moabi approx. 13 years ago, at the time they took over there must have been a contract for a certain length of time, apparently that contract was extended and it has now expired and the concession has gone out for bid. The highest bidder was awarded the new contract for the concession, correct? I feel bad for the Porter family however it sounds like maybe they didn't plan on losing the bid for the new contract and now it is too late, am I right or wrong ?
It's all politics. The county has a problem with the Porters, and now they have resolved it (as far as they are concerned).:(
It's funny how the official wording is written, very carefully. All the I's are dotted and the T's crossed. If you know Vaughn, you know he is a stand up guy and does not play politics, this apparently does not sit well with SBD county.
They make it sound all nice and fair, yet the Porters were basically told to pack their bags a year ago. It has been pretty much non stop harassment and intimidation since the county had to foot the bill for the new gas pumps (purely coincidental I'm sure):rolleyes: Since when does a guy need a license to have his personal welding equipment on his own property? If this is how things work in Cali, I guess that is just another good reason not to live there.
So, good luck to the new operators, you won't be seeing a penny from me. Moabi will only get space fees from me, I'll get my food and beverage in Nv. and my gas in Az. no sense feeding the local tax coffers.

Debbolas
06-09-2004, 06:42 AM
bump;)

Debbolas
06-09-2004, 07:01 PM
bump;)

THATJEFFGUY
06-09-2004, 11:30 PM
I agree, the Porters are a very nice family and have done an excellent job at Park Moabi. It also sucks to lose your business that you've worked so hard to build over the years. However, just like doing business with any other county/city/state entity, the contracts are only good for so long, before they are bidded on again. If the Porters have had this for 13 years, then I can assure you, their original bid was extended many times for them. They had to know that at some point in the near future, the County would have to solicit bids for a new concession contract...it can only be extended for so long. I'm speaking from experience as I do alot of business with the County and local cities here in SB County, and when it comes time to bid...you MUST be competitive and/or creative, unless of course you have an "inside" contact for privy info. That's just how the game is played, like it or not. This is done for obvious reasons... to spread the wealth, so that everyone gets a fair chance to rip off...err, I mean dip into the deep pockets...err, I mean...to do business with the county.
And Deb, I understand you would like all of us on the HBForums to try to change the situation, hence your repeated "bumps". However, acccording to the letter you posted from David Zook, that was written on May 28th, "The proposer with the highest score was selected. Park Moabi River Marina Inc. was the applicant selected for this contract."......then again on June 1, 2004, "the selection process has already been completed", it seems this is pretty much a "done deal"...or am I missing something ? I seriously doubt that a bunch of letters from us boaters will change the minds of the County Board of Supervisors. Also, in speaking to some "connections" I have within some SB County Govt offices, typically the only time a winning bid is retracted is if the bidder decides to back out. So to me it seems like you're beating a dead horse. You can now hope for 2 things...(1) the company that received the concession contract will fail at their attempt to do as well as the Porter's did, therefore, the County will be forced to solicit bids early..or (2)when the concession bid is solicited again prior to it's expiration, the Porter family can submit a new proposal, and hopefully win. Sure, miracles DO happen once in awhile, but it's a little late in the game, and this is SB County we're talking about...don't expect much ! Just my $.02 Good luck to the Porters..sorry to see you go.

v-drive
06-10-2004, 03:56 AM
Originally posted by THATJEFFGUY
I agree, the Porters are a very nice family and have done an excellent job at Park Moabi. It also sucks to lose your business that you've worked so hard to build over the years. However, just like doing business with any other county/city/state entity, the contracts are only good for so long, before they are bidded on again. If the Porters have had this for 13 years, then I can assure you, their original bid was extended many times for them. They had to know that at some point in the near future, the County would have to solicit bids for a new concession contract...it can only be extended for so long. I'm speaking from experience as I do alot of business with the County and local cities here in SB County, and when it comes time to bid...you MUST be competitive and/or creative, unless of course you have an "inside" contact for privy info. That's just how the game is played, like it or not. This is done for obvious reasons... to spread the wealth, so that everyone gets a fair chance to rip off...err, I mean dip into the deep pockets...err, I mean...to do business with the county.
And Deb, I understand you would like all of us on the HBForums to try to change the situation, hence your repeated "bumps". However, acccording to the letter you posted from David Zook, that was written on May 28th, "The proposer with the highest score was selected. Park Moabi River Marina Inc. was the applicant selected for this contract."......then again on June 1, 2004, "the selection process has already been completed", it seems this is pretty much a "done deal"...or am I missing something ? I seriously doubt that a bunch of letters from us boaters will change the minds of the County Board of Supervisors. Also, in speaking to some "connections" I have within some SB County Govt offices, typically the only time a winning bid is retracted is if the bidder decides to back out. So to me it seems like you're beating a dead horse. You can now hope for 2 things...(1) the company that received the concession contract will fail at their attempt to do as well as the Porter's did, therefore, the County will be forced to solicit bids early..or (2)when the concession bid is solicited again prior to it's expiration, the Porter family can submit a new proposal, and hopefully win. Sure, miracles DO happen once in awhile, but it's a little late in the game, and this is SB County we're talking about...don't expect much ! Just my $.02 Good luck to the Porters..sorry to see you go.
Ditto.........v-drive

Debbolas
06-10-2004, 05:48 AM
No you are correct Jeff, it is a done deal.:(
I just asked them if they wanted this posted on the boards at ***boat and they replied as follows:
Hi Deb,
Thank you so much for your kind words. And thank you for your letters to the County Supervisor.
Yes, let Hot Boat friends do their thing, blow the supervisors out of their chairs, and we would love to hear from all. We are not going down without a fight.
Thank you again,
The Porter Family
It is our favorite place to go, so I thought the good folks on this fourm would like to know what is going on.
;)

Jordy
06-10-2004, 06:03 AM
So to me it seems like you're beating a dead horse.
That never happens around here... :rolleyes:
But is it the Porter family or the Parkers? Attention to detail like that will really wow the Board of Supervisors. :D

Debbolas
06-10-2004, 06:06 AM
I can't believe I'm saying this..............
But that is an excellent point........................;)

THATJEFFGUY
06-10-2004, 01:48 PM
Jordan, I was thinking the same thing..but I was just referring to what Deb had written. Parkers...Porters..who knows anymore ! But then again, Deb also "wowed" the Board of Supvs. by addressing the place as "Park MOABE" too ! :rolleyes: Again, some attention to details would help !

roostwear
06-10-2004, 02:21 PM
Oddly enough, I can't find a listing or articles of incorporation for "Park Moabi River Marina, Inc" (http://kepler.ss.ca.gov/list.html)
I'm a little interested in who the officers of the company are.......

roostwear
06-10-2004, 02:24 PM
Never mind, it's an Arizona company. Park Moabi River Marina, Inc (http://starpas.cc.state.az.us/cgi-bin/wspd_cgi.sh/WService=wsbroker1/names-detail.p?name-id=11313085&type=CORPORATION)