PDA

View Full Version : casale question?

76BARRON
06-08-2004, 09:46 AM
Am I correct in remembering that if the gear set is stamped
L.H. or R.H (left/right rotation)that the v-drive doesn't really
care wich way it rotate's? I belive I read on these boards that
people have been running L.H. gear's in circle boat's for year's
with good sucess. It is my understanding that L.H gears are much more common than R.H gear's? I will be changing gears soon
and have found L.H. gear's, but I run off of the front (snout)of
engine.Will this be O.K. or will it be bad new's?

ColeTR1
06-08-2004, 10:22 AM
The rotation direction is from the input from the motor. I never thought about how the gears are cut. I guess if they where straight cut it would madder. I wonder if they are cut at angle so they push forward with in the v-drive? I know angle cut make the gears quieter.

V-DRIVE VIDEO
06-08-2004, 10:36 AM
John, there is no difference from L.H. to R.H. gears. Just make sure the angle is correct.

superdave013
06-08-2004, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by V-DRIVE VIDEO
John, there is no difference from L.H. to R.H. gears. Just make sure the angle is correct.
Yes there is. Heck, sometimes even LH gears are cut different. lol
The last time I posted this pic I go an e mail from vdriveking@whatever.com. Saying that the odd ball set was made by someone else. Well, I still have them so I guess I could re-shoot the pic so you can clearly see the CE stamp in both sets.
If you look close at the second pic you can see their logo.
I don't think it will hurt anything. It will load the bearings in the cover instead of the rear ones. I see people doing it all the time with no problems. The guys who put 10 degree gears in a 12 degree box are the one's that scare me.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/48left_hand_12_gears_2_sets1.jpg
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/48left_hand_12_gears_2_sets.jpg

V-DRIVE VIDEO
06-08-2004, 01:48 PM
I was told by Phil Stock that aside from the R.H./L.H. stamping that is on some of them they are interchangeable.