PDA

View Full Version : American ***boat Pilot Episode

Spotondl
06-08-2004, 10:51 AM
Principle shooting has begun on the pilot episode of American ***boat. Themed after "American Chopper" and "American Hotrod", American ***boat will showcase high horsepower, highly custom boats being built from the bottom up.
The show is being shot in High Definition so that it can be broadcast in HD and/or downconverted to standard definition.
To date, there is no "channel" that has picked this up but as the show develops further, negotiations will begin in short order.
This is a general, non-detailed release. As the show develops additional project details will be released.
Thanks to all involved.

V-DRIVE VIDEO
06-08-2004, 10:53 AM
Did you make it over to Pfaff yesterday?? Sorry I couldn't go, I was stuck at the doctors office.:mad:

Spotondl
06-08-2004, 10:57 AM
Was there all afternoon. VERY successful. Those MD's have you on a TIGHT leash.... Thought that when you said "I do" that the leash would be on but... Who knew, huh?

superdave013
06-08-2004, 12:12 PM
Is Hot Boat mag. involved with this?

V-DRIVE VIDEO
06-08-2004, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by superdave013
Is Hot Boat mag. involved with this?
Not yet.

roostwear
06-08-2004, 12:52 PM
What style boats are they concentrating on? Offshore, low freeboard. etc?

flat broke
06-08-2004, 01:28 PM
Whatever Ultra Custom boats is building at the time would be my guess :D
Chris

superdave013
06-08-2004, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by flat broke
Whatever Ultra Custom boats is building at the time would be my guess :D
Chris
I think you might be wrong on this one.
I'm just wanting to eat popcorn and watch when HOT BOAT gets pissy about someone using the HOT BOAT words like they did with American Hot Boat poker run guys.
But that's a different subject.
This project sounds pertty cool and might be just what's needed to get that tevo crap in my house.

Spotondl
06-08-2004, 01:42 PM
Not an Ultra in sight....
1st two projects are low freeboard of the v-drive type...

jackpunx
06-08-2004, 01:49 PM
its about time!
thanks for the info

roostwear
06-08-2004, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Spotondl
Not an Ultra in sight....
1st two projects are low freeboard of the v-drive type...
I wonder if they'll be ready to test at FC2 :D

396_Z
06-08-2004, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by superdave013
This project sounds pertty cool and might be just what's needed to get that tevo crap in my house.
TiVo Rocks!

smalls
06-08-2004, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Spotondl
Principle shooting has begun on the pilot episode of American ***boat. Themed after "American Chopper" and "American Hotrod", American ***boat will showcase high horsepower, highly custom boats being built from the bottom up.
The show is being shot in High Definition so that it can be broadcast in HD and/or downconverted to standard definition.
To date, there is no "channel" that has picked this up but as the show develops further, negotiations will begin in short order.
This is a general, non-detailed release. As the show develops additional project details will be released.
Thanks to all involved.
Hope your spending some time in Lodi? Thats where the State of the Art real deal is Happening as we speak.... COME ON........

Fired Up
06-08-2004, 08:26 PM
I wanted to bring that up to Rolf. HB magazine may have proprietary issues with using HB in the title.....UNLESS its a working title, but there could be product infringement. The legality may be in its use.... ***boat vs Hot Boat. I can't remember if you can copyright the title of a show or not, which is why TV productions may have a working titles until a shows official release regardless if you've registered with WGA or not. Either way I hope the show floats!

MudPumper
06-08-2004, 09:30 PM
Funny shit, Monday night my girl and I were watching American Chopper and she tells me I should make a show about boats because I'm always working on my boat.:D

Jake W
06-08-2004, 09:33 PM
This sounds like a great thing I for one would like to hear more about who is involved .
Jake:D

wsuwrhr
06-08-2004, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by MudPumper
Funny shit, Monday night my girl and I were watching American Chopper and she tells me I should make a show about boats because I'm always working on my boat.:D
How do you think "Brian's Boat Shop" got started?
Brian

69 Elim
12-02-2004, 08:34 PM
Has anyone heard anything about this since - Any updates?

Jake W2
12-02-2004, 09:00 PM
I am glad you brought this to the top agine.
Jake

TRG
12-02-2004, 10:54 PM
i am very interested in seeing this on TV!
finally,...something that would pull me away from this computer! lol

Sanger D
12-03-2004, 07:26 AM
If this show turns into a 22 foot plus boat show,thenthat would suck more than just wake.But you can bet if it gets called HB then you know its mostly gonna be big high doller "penis extentionboats", as my wife calls them.Show should be called BAD BOATS, or liquid hot rod,or THE LOW FREEBOARD SHOW, thats gotta nice ring to it.At least they could do what ever they wanted as far as keeping it tuned to just flatty,s,hydros,circles and the like.ITs amazing how many people dont even know are kinda boats exhist.look at all the diff. eppisodes you could have, 1 week tfh,s then k boats, then comps, hydros ,old true flatty,s as well,shit ,!could go on for ever!!!,hell, maybe we should be in charge of show content,I could think of a million epp.AH, i,m startin to get too excited!!!.No offence to the 22FT plus guys but HB and the media seems to only cover those kinda boats.Just think of the business the smaller hot rod boat mar. shops could get.the atten. we diserve!!Bitchin idea hope it happins.CROSS YOUR FINGERS
Sanger D

dossangers
12-03-2004, 10:08 AM
1st off where's the advertising dollars going to come from the extend-a-boats! if they would do something like MONSTER-V-VDRIVE garage that would be cool! To me a ***boat is like a hotrod small package BIG motor! not 26-34 ft CAT!! thats OFFSHORE theres enough projects going on now for cool stories my restoration, dave sammons build theres a bunch at billy's shop then there's needles filled with ***boats running but it requires lots o $$$$$! so if they do it like boyds show hotrods and ***boatS 18' TO 21' MAX then it will be cool! I dont want to see another DCB cat that costs 300k$ that a guy didnt build he just walked in a bought it! none of his own idea's of engineering or paint or history! were a small group that does our own builds no big print on our stuff. look at ***boat mag barely any v-drives ALL COOKIE CUTTER CATS AND V'S 26-34ft !!!!!!! just my 50 cent.

Morg
12-03-2004, 11:21 AM
Right on the head Wayne.
The only statement made with the big custom cats is that they make to much money.
Personally, a huge part of the enjoyment I get from my boat is designing & building parts for it. (Actually thats the only enjoyment)
I see this as a double edge sword. The parts we make for our boats are not mass produced & The everyday boat buyer is usually not looking for a 1200hp 18 ft flat bottom. So with that said corporate bucks are not heading into our sport. The other edge of the sword would be that our deal is not commercialized by the likes of Jesse James. Don't get me wrong, I like Jesse & his attitude most of the time. But I was in Sam's club the other day & saw a little cheezy plastic mini scooter with west coast choppers on it.
Could you imagine a "Billy B" action figure. Pull the string -"Come on cheif, what were you thinking", "Ha Haaaa" & my personal favorite "Sure cheif, that will work".
K-Morg

78Eliminator
12-03-2004, 11:54 AM
I choose this hobby for a few reasons. I like to do my own work, I like boats, I like to go fast and I like to learn. I discovered I could have all of this working on my V-drive. All you have to do is be willing to invest the time and make friends with the veterans. My experience is that most of the folks here are very interested in what you are doing and will be more than happy to help you along if you demonstrate that you are serious. Building or restoring a boat is a long and thought out process. Like Morg said, you make your own parts, improvise and really make a one of a kind piece of functional art.
Another thing I have noticed about the people who are really into V-drives, is that they are not trendy. Everyone ended up here because of their individuality. Lot's of characters and lot's WITH character. My number one fear about highly publicizing V-drives and "hot boats" is it will bring in a bunch of imposters and turn it into a f ucking circus show. I can see it now, some kind of show with some kind of rep, like Jesse James, and a bunch of crappy clothes at walmart that all the neighborhood teenagers wear. That, would make me ill. I guess since the airing of the discovery channel build shows, it is "cool" to wrench on motors, cars, whatever. And there is a "style" to it. The hat to the side with the bill flattened out. It just cheapens the whole thing. Just my $.02

syndicate
12-03-2004, 11:54 AM
Dossangers and Sanger d are right. I have also heard that back in the day (20 years ago and more) people that hung @ havasu and all the other hot spots were folks with big brains and small pockets, well the opposite is now the case. I have also had people criticize my stuff saying it is junk and won't work right because my dad and I did it ourselves in our own garage. Just my humblel opinon.

HavasuDreamin'
12-03-2004, 11:57 AM
Could you imagine a "Billy B" action figure. Pull the string -"Come on cheif, what were you thinking", "Ha Haaaa" & my personal favorite "Sure cheif, that will work".
That is some funny chit! LMAO :D

superdave013
12-03-2004, 11:58 AM
this don't look like an offshore boat to me!!!
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/48v_drive_bracing.JPG

Morg
12-03-2004, 12:14 PM
SD,
That is what I am talking about. Those v-drive struts are kick ass. Seing that just plain gives me wood. I would love to meet the guy who came up with that, or :idea: see him on a tv program. As long as he did not work with his dad & the dad was always bitchen.
Morg

superdave013
12-03-2004, 12:17 PM
Morg, all you have to do is go to Prime Marine to check out that boat. lol, I have not seen it for a pretty long time but it was just SICK!!! the last time I looked at it.
Those guys would love the work your doing too!!

Jetboatguru
12-03-2004, 12:36 PM
Dossangers and Sanger d are right. I have also heard that back in the day (20 years ago and more) people that hung @ havasu and all the other hot spots were folks with big brains and small pockets, well the opposite is now the case. I have also had people criticize my stuff saying it is junk and won't work right because my dad and I did it ourselves in our own garage. Just my humblel opinon.
Ah Bro!!

syndicate
12-03-2004, 12:52 PM
Tony, what you gonna do? What you think?

Spotondl
12-03-2004, 03:16 PM
Hey guys...
Thanks for all the input and I can say only that I cannot agree more with all of you...
The premise of this entire program is the hot rod boat and extreme performance... Word that I have is that the actual producers of American Chopper have already hit up some of the major manufacturers, shot test footage, etc. and haven't come up with a formula that actually works...
Therein enters the hot boat/ hot rod theme that we are focusing on... There could be some specific instances where an offshore style boat would fit into the "hot rod" theme and I would not turn such an instance down if it fit in with the overall scheme of the show, but the primary emphasis will be on big power, innovation, and cutting edge technology...
Currently I have shot many hours of actual construction & fabrication footage of our first project boat and that footage is being edited into several different marketing clips of varying length. There are ongoing negotiations with certain $$$ company's to fund an actual production budget to take this to the next level. To date this project has been funded 100% by myself with the generous help of several others in the form of equipment donations, time and labor donations, and facilities usage. I would like to specifically thank the following for their generous support...
Gearhouse Broadcast - Camera's and production equipment
Prime Marine, Mike Ramirez & Mike King & the rest of their staff - Facilities & project design
Thank you...
Rich

wsuwrhr
12-03-2004, 05:07 PM
Right on the head Wayne.
K-Morg
Im DYIN over here.
I would buy it. Belly and all.
I can hear him saying it right now, Sure Chief, that will work.
Ha Haaaaa.
Brian

V-DRIVE VIDEO
12-03-2004, 05:14 PM
You know Rich, you have been kind of MIA lately??
I plugged Rich in with Prime Marine knowing they have the goods for a show of this nature. wheres the love chief? :D Now if we could get Rich's drinking team back behind the camera and away from the Beaumont party scene, maybe we could get back on track. ;)
Hey Spot, did you ever get your tub back together? :)
When we going riding?
Jerry

Spotondl
12-03-2004, 05:47 PM
Jerry:
You are absolutely right... HUGE props to you for the Prime hookup and so much more...
Jerry has been extremely giving of his time, contacts, and knowledge of boats and the sport as a whole... Without his help, we would not be nearly as far along as we are... YOU DA MAN CHIEF!!!
Tub is still sitting w/o an engine, parts are everywhere, machine work is done, just need to pick the puzzle up...
I am down for riding anytime now... Actually looking forward to hitting some trails & sand here over the next few weeks... Have a gig in Chico from the 12th - 18th but other than that I am wide open... Lemme know when you are available...
Rich

Kindsvater Flat
12-03-2004, 06:30 PM
Jerry:
You are absolutely right... HUGE props to you for the Prime hookup and so much more...
Jerry has been extremely giving of his time, contacts, and knowledge of boats and the sport as a whole... Without his help, we would not be nearly as far along as we are... YOU DA MAN CHIEF!!!
Tub is still sitting w/o an engine, parts are everywhere, machine work is done, just need to pick the puzzle up...
I am down for riding anytime now... Actually looking forward to hitting some trails & sand here over the next few weeks... Have a gig in Chico from the 12th - 18th but other than that I am wide open... Lem
me know when you are available...
Rich
Whats up in Chico? Thats about 20 minutes from me.

Spotondl
12-04-2004, 06:40 PM
Whats up in Chico? Thats about 20 minutes from me.
I am not sure exactly what it is but I know it is the 25th anniversary of something... the deal is at the Sierry Nevada Brewery and Huey Lewis & The News is playing... We are doing a 6 camera, high definition shoot of the concert for Warner Music... Not a huge fan of Huey but it is a paying gig and rumor has it that we will have an UNLIMITED supply of food and and mor importantly ... BEER :D :D ...

Kindsvater Flat
12-04-2004, 07:58 PM
Sierra Nevada Brewery is cool. Its a very, very nice place. I just drove by there this afternoon to pick up some motor parts.

78Eliminator
12-04-2004, 11:04 PM
Sierra Nevada Brewery is cool. Its a very, very nice place. I just drove by there this afternoon to pick up some motor parts.
Do they do tours?

Kindsvater Flat
12-04-2004, 11:24 PM
Yes they do.

Sanger D
12-05-2004, 07:21 AM
i CAN SEE IT NOW, THE BILLY B Action figure, "hey chief" "any doughnuts?" ,or "c,mon cheif", get your multi colored bezer boat and truck and trailer,dip boat in water and it changes colors :boat ,truck n trailer sold seperately: , batteries not included, collect the whole set,thats fu@#%!n priceless!! AH we luv ya bill,
Sanger D

Hustler
12-06-2004, 10:21 AM
I am down for riding anytime now... Actually looking forward to hitting some trails & sand here over the next few weeks... Have a gig in Chico from the 12th - 18th but other than that I am wide open... Lemme know when you are available...
Rich
Where the hell you been Rich?
New years we'll be out at Spangler Hills, I have so much crap going on this month that I wont be able to ride until then, you and Jerry should head out for the day or even stay the night and ride for two days. Let me know if can make it out and I'll give you some directions

WUTWZAT
12-06-2004, 05:39 PM
I am looking to start a Nordic Flattie project almost any minute. Who is making the decision on this or is it too late? Pass on my info if possible and I will have mine ready for testing @ FC3 if I do start it.
Jason
(949) 916-6167
wutwzat@cox.net

kidstuf
12-09-2004, 04:39 PM
they shot test footage here at eliminator about 6 months ago...

GofastRacer
12-09-2004, 05:58 PM
I am looking to start a Nordic Flattie project almost any minute. Who is making the decision on this or is it too late? Pass on my info if possible and I will have mine ready for testing @ FC3 if I do start it.
Jason
(949) 916-6167
wutwzat@cox.net
I'm doing a Nordic v bottom, will have it at Needles!.. ;)

Spotondl
12-10-2004, 01:07 AM
they shot test footage here at eliminator about 6 months ago...
Not my gig... Have no idea what you are talking about chief.....

HP350SC
12-11-2004, 11:37 AM
VOOM is the cutting edge satellite High Definition provider at this time. They are adding HD channels all the time. I would think there is a shortage of programming for these channels. Format could be individual owners who are pushing speeds, such as Robbie Racer's 25' Carrera, Rock-it Man's 26' Eliminator and tons of others. How about poker run coverage and highlights, visits to custom boat builders/motor builders facilities. West coast boat builders have not received the exposure that Outerlimits and Fountain have enjoyed. MAKE IT HAPPEN, PLEASE!!!

Moneypitt
12-11-2004, 01:42 PM
Ya, that would be cool. Start with session where THEY are assembling their engines and rigging their OWN boats in their garages...OH, I mean the SHOWROOM where they bought 'em..............not.................MP

Sir Psycho Sexy
01-09-2005, 06:51 PM
Has anyone got any info on this, or is it just A myth? It would be cool to see, but on the same hand it would be sure to cheapen the hobby.
Just look around. If it wasn't for all the "chopper shows" that guy up the street from me would still be riding A Honda cbr900. Now he's posing on A hardtail custom!!??? That's like Vanilla Ice turning into A Heavy Metal God. GIVE ME A BREAK!!!
Just my .02

wsuwrhr
01-09-2005, 07:41 PM
If it wasn't for all the "chopper shows" that guy up the street from me would still be riding A Honda cbr900.
Just my .02
Ouch.
Brian