PDA

View Full Version : So whats gonna help.

Jetdriver
06-08-2004, 12:55 PM
So here is what I have, 454 with a setback berk, Agressor bowl with an A imp., Shoe and rideplate, hydro diverter and loader grate. Boat is a 21' will the Berkly long droop help air her out a bit more? What will help me get to 70. Currently Ive hit 64.2 gps at 4900 rpm. What else can I do with out going to a bigger motor.

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
06-08-2004, 01:02 PM
bottle feed it if your engine is setup to handle it.:cool: cheapest hp you can buy and I think it will definitely take more hp to get you to 70.
Omega

flat broke
06-08-2004, 01:04 PM
Start experimenting with your setup. We pretty much beat this to death in another thread regarding this boat, so get out the pen, paper, GPS, and camera and get to work ! :D
Outside of that, a 200hp shot of NOS would probably move you along a little quicker ;) You only said you didn't want a "bigger" motor. :p
Chris

HavasuDreamin'
06-08-2004, 01:04 PM
It would seem that your pump is right there. Maybe a couple of tuning tricks to get you a little more, but probably not 6 mph. You need HP. Cam, heads, intake, carb...........and exhaust if you haven't done that.

Jetdriver
06-08-2004, 01:05 PM
I have actually considered NOS! :D I was just wondering more about the droop than anything. I have a good feeling about the shoe and rideplate now.

Jetdriver
06-08-2004, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by HavasuDreamin'
It would seem that your pump is right there. Maybe a couple of tuning tricks to get you a little more, but probably not 6 mph. You need HP. Cam, heads, intake, carb...........and exhaust if you haven't done that.
I figured that I was dialed in pretty well. Im just looking for the next thing to tighten her up a bit. ie. droop or snoot. I know I have beat this to death, but Im leary of spending cash on a droop to not have it work for me.

HotHallet
06-08-2004, 01:15 PM
Play with the rideplate and air the shit out of that thing!

Jetdriver
06-08-2004, 01:17 PM
Well the plate is all the way up!

flat broke
06-08-2004, 01:25 PM
If the plate is all the way up and you're not porpoising, pull the cradle, trim it down and run it again, if you get a porpoise add some shims back in to bring it back to where you had it. Don't trust the envelope of performance to be what a prefab part made for a generic application allows you to attain.
You might also try getting a hold of the snoot and testing one of those to see if you get any benefit from less droop, but more nozle extension.
Chris

jackpunx
06-08-2004, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Jetdriver
So here is what I have, 454 with a setback berk, Agressor bowl with an A imp., Shoe and rideplate, hydro diverter and loader grate. Boat is a 21' will the Berkly long droop help air her out a bit more? What will help me get to 70. Currently Ive hit 64.2 gps at 4900 rpm. What else can I do with out going to a bigger motor.
You could try having a lighter person drive it:D

Jetdriver
06-08-2004, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by flat broke
If the plate is all the way up and you're not porpoising, pull the cradle, trim it down and run it again, if you get a porpoise add some shims back in to bring it back to where you had it. Don't trust the envelope of performance to be what a prefab part made for a generic application allows you to attain.
You might also try getting a hold of the snoot and testing one of those to see if you get any benefit from less droop, but more nozle extension.
Chris
Was also thinking about those bowl extenders that have been talked about this week.

Jetdriver
06-08-2004, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by jackpunx
You could try having a lighter person drive it:D
How did I know that was coming! Thanks Mark!

jackpunx
06-08-2004, 01:52 PM
LOL>. Love ya bro:D

Jetdriver
06-08-2004, 01:53 PM
:D :D :D

Squirtcha?
06-08-2004, 02:36 PM
Well since there aint much going on here, I'll take just a minute to put up the results that I got from all "the goodies".
Boat ran 70.3 mph with a Berk, 4 degrees up wedge and a jetovator.
Had the pump setback, swapped the jetovator for a Place Diverter and added a PD droop snoot. Initially got a 0 mph gain. With some help from a buddy that races and some setup time (adjusting rideplate, messing with wedges, etc.) I got a 3.4 mph gain so now she's running 73.7 mph. I tried every setup imaginable and this was the best she'd do.
Swapped the PD droop out for an HTP snoot and initially got zero gains. After more setup stuff (wedges, rideplate, backcut shoe etc.) I ended up with another 2.3 mph. Now running 76 mph (and change).
That's a lot to go through both work-wise and money-wise for a measley 6 mph gain. Don't get me wrong, I don't regret it and the boat's no slouch. Most folks will at least know they've been in a race when it's over and she'll beat lots of the stuff on our local lakes.
The biggest and least expensive of all the gains came from a little 100 hp shot of nitrous.
When the boat was running 70.3 the 100 hp shot took it to 76 mph.
When it was running 73.7 mph it took it to 80.1 mph.
Now that it's running 76 mph it'll take it to 85 mph. This one surprised me because it was the biggest jump in speed. It has been explained to me that both the backcut shoe and the snoot will net more lift, hence more speed, with more horsepower.
One thing's for sure, if you go with pump/ride mods, you'll have to be willing to mess with your setup. If you don't adjust rideplates, add/change wedges, try different shoes, it'll all be for naught. You have to be willing to experiment. Bolting the stuff on didn't do anything for me until I started adjusting stuff by trial and error. Lots n lots of errors.
My nitrous kit cost $350 and came with everything to install it and make it work. In retrospect, that's a pretty cheap 6 mph gain. All that other stuff cost me thousands (literally).
P.S. It's still not enough. Next trip I make over to the river I'm bumping the nitrous up. Gotta at least be close enough to LVjetboy, HBjet and Hackjob to hollar out "nice job" and have them hear me at the end of the race.

Jetdriver
06-08-2004, 02:49 PM
I was thinking of getting an adjust a wedge and a long droop. Then next winter go for the NOS install. Thinking of the nos sniper setup. I have no problem playing with settings at all. What do you think of the NOS setup.

UBFJ #454
06-08-2004, 02:59 PM
You might borrow an Agressor short droop and try it ... It'll raise the thrust line a bit.

Squirtcha?
06-08-2004, 03:05 PM
I'm running the Edelbrock, but from what I've seen.........they're all pretty much the same. Looking back I should've bought the sniper as it will adjust to 150 hp. Mine was originally designed as 100 hp max.
Since I'm running two plates on a tunnelram and the plates are good to 100 hp each, I'm gonna jet em both for 75 hp and that'll be 150 total The solenoids are currently "Tee'd" to run each plate. The solenoids are smallish and only rated at 150 and this will be my limiting factor. I'll be pusing it, but if it doesn't work, it'll be back to 100 hp or buy larger solenoids. I'll know for sure after this weekend whether or not it works.
The only downside is filling bottles. I have lots of places around here, but I constantly get "The nitrous technician is off today" "We ran out of nitrous" "We can do it but not until after 4:00 pm."
At $40 per fill, it gets a little pricey too.
I checked on getting 57 lb bottle so I can fill my own, but you only save $10 per fill. Haven't decided if I'm gonna go that route or not.
$150 bottle deposit
$60 annual rental fee
$50 for misc adapters
$157 each time you exchange the big bottle.
Oh yeah, one last surprise. Lots of folks have misconceptions about how long a 10 lb bottle will last. At 100 hp jetting you get a total run time of 2 minutes. If you're running a 150 it's down to 1.5 minutes. At 100 hp, I can get approx 12 quarter mile passes from mine and she's done for. If I step it up to 150 it's down to 8 passes. Typically you go crazy showing your friends when you first get it. You'll calm down after a while though (after you pay that $40 price of admission a few times).

Jetdriver
06-08-2004, 05:55 PM
So whats the difference between the aggressor short droop and a berkley long? Wouldnt the long lift the boat more?
Do I need to install a second fuel pump for the NOS?

Squirtcha?
06-09-2004, 05:54 AM
Can't answer the droop question.
As for the nitrous/fuel pump deal. You can run with just the one pump provided it has the flow needed. There's a formula for figuring out the gph vs. hp. Unfortunately I don't have it in front of me.
I'm using a separate electric pump and regulator for my system. I think it's the best and safest route and supposedly the electric pumps are better due to less surging.
Here's what Holley says about fuel pumps and nitrous.
Q: Should I modify my fuel system to use nitrous oxide?
A: Most stock fuel pumps will work adequately for smaller nitrous applications. It is important to check to see if your pump can flow enough fuel to your existing fuel system (whether carburetor or fuel injected), as well as being able to supply the additional fuel required by the nitrous kit under full throttle conditions. It may be a good idea to dedicate a separate fuel pump to the nitrous kit.
Here's some information from Holley on goofy gas.
Nos technical info (http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/TechServ/TechInfo/NOSTech.html)
I'll see if I can find that forumla and post it up for ya.

Jetdriver
06-09-2004, 06:13 AM
Thanks Squitcha!