PDA

View Full Version : Cottenwood to Hoover.

Danhercules
06-08-2004, 03:52 PM
Who has done this? Is a 28' boat to big? How deep is it up there? My buddy bought a new boat, and wants to make the run for a breakin trip. What ya all think?

Mrs Luvnlife
06-08-2004, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Danhercules
Who has done this? Is a 28' boat to big? How deep is it up there? My buddy bought a new boat, and wants to make the run for a breakin trip. What ya all think?
We just did that trip this past weekend......we were in a 23 foot eagle....the biggest boat with us was a 27' Hallet. Not sure the exact depth, but it got kinda shallow near the dam. John that was with us said that Mojave was full and there usually isn't a problem making it to the dam when it's at that level.

boxscore
06-08-2004, 04:28 PM
We did it in the inaugural run with our 26. It's a trip that MUST be done. There are some shallows within the last couple miles of the dam. If you've had any experience cruising the river, you'll have no problems seeing where the deep water is. Looking up at Hoover dam will make your head spin. Awesome. My avatar pic was taken 2 miles south of the dam. The water is crystal clear, pristine, and cold! It will absolutely shrink your crown royal bag.

dicudmore
06-08-2004, 04:34 PM
it is a must do run.....
i know guys that have done it in 29's
i plan to check it out in my 29 in the next few weeks.
done as far as willow lots of times.

burtandnancy
06-08-2004, 04:47 PM
I've done it in 38's and 40's. No worry, stick to the middle when you get near the dam. Its a great ride, although a little flat...

RiverToysJas
06-08-2004, 05:06 PM
I've done it a couple times, the last being in March. The center is good all the way, except just below the last turn to the dam. The water is very shallow to the NV side, as said, you should be able to see this coming. Favor the AZ side at that point and you'll be fine. Depth should be around 9' to 15' on the AZ side. Just after that shallow, there is an overhead line with the sign posting the No Wake from there up.
It's a great run though....
http://www.op6c.com/yearend_03/ye1k.jpg
RTJas :D

Debbolas
06-08-2004, 06:30 PM
We tried to do that but got stopped at Willow Beach by "Rog" the Ranger, the fish were spawning and he didn't want our boat up there. (he was letting fishing boats go in) This was the first weekend of April..............I want to go sometime, how far about Willow Beach is the dam?

RiverToysJas
06-08-2004, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by Debbolas
We tried to do that but got stopped at Willow Beach by "Rog" the Ranger, the fish were spawning and he didn't want our boat up there. (he was letting fishing boats go in) This was the first weekend of April..............I want to go sometime, how far about Willow Beach is the dam?
That time of the year, they don't let boats with more than 60hp past Willow on the weekends, this time of the year it's on Monday's and Tuesday's. Gives the tree huggers in their canoes a chance to enjoy the river. I did it in March, but I broke the law appearently. The Ranger didn't have lights, so he couldn't stop me. He appeared to be writing my AZ numbers down as I passed on the way down, but nothing ever came of it. We read the 60hp thing on the bouy on the way out, didn't catch it on the way up. Now we know....
Willow is around 10miles from the dam.

LUVNLIFE
06-08-2004, 07:15 PM
Awesome ride up to the dam. Those effin tree huggers. JetBoatRich and JetDriver went through then me MrsLuvnlife with MrsJetDriver with all the little ones came through. Some assclowns in a canoe paddled right in front of me then their support boat which was an awesome bayliner cut in front of me. All were laughing as they did it. Obviously they had a prob, I let them know I didn't give a crap by putting it full throttle. I do respect as we were just barly cruising so just be careful because they don't. My .02;)

BarryMac
06-08-2004, 08:14 PM
It sounds like an awesome ride, how far is Cottonwood from Laughlin? Could it be done in a day without rushing? Laughlin to Cottonwood, Cottonwood to the Dam. I would love to do it when we are there in August.
gjb

Debbolas
06-08-2004, 08:17 PM
We stayed at Cottonwood, drove down to Katherines Landing then back up to float. Another day we drove from Cottonwood to Willow Beach.
Katherines to Willow is a long drive, but worth it...IMO
:D

RiverToysJas
06-08-2004, 08:22 PM
Dam to dam is like 64 miles. I think it's about 10 from Hoover to Willow, another 30ish from Willow to Cottonwood, roughly 20 from Cottonwood to Katherine's.

dicudmore
06-08-2004, 08:49 PM
these guys are right on the money....
its 50 miles give or take a few feet from katherine's to willow....
I do it in 1 hour on my boat but by the time you get there the crew is tired of the wind in their face :D

JetBoatRich
06-08-2004, 08:57 PM
DAM, really see the dam it is a great ride:eek:
I am ready to to cruise it again, no problem on depth go for it and have fun:eek:

B-rad502
06-08-2004, 09:31 PM
You have to make the trip to the dam!! It is one of the nicest boat rides you can go on in any of our lakes, Powell, Mead, Havasu, etc. No problem on the depth as long as the lake is full like others have said. Have fun!! Here's myself and a few buddy's at an LVHB get together last year.
http://www.lasvegas***boats.com/iB_html/uploads/post-6-35566-Hoover3.jpg

BarryMac
06-09-2004, 05:37 AM
Please excuse my ignorance, if I am reading your posts correctly Laughlin is roughly 20 miles from Cottonwood, Launch at Cootonwood and your 40 miles to the Hoover Dam? Do you suppose my boat with two 20 gallon tanks would easily make it from Cottonwood to the Dam and back?
Thanks for the insight, I really want to make this trip when we are there in a couple of months.
gjb :)

Jetdriver
06-09-2004, 05:43 AM
Laughlin to Cottonwood is more than 20 miles. Cottonwood to the dam is right at 40 miles. I ran around on 1 tank Friday night, than all the way to the dam and 1/4 way back before it ran dry and I had to switch. so 2 20's shouldnt be a problem unless your drinkin a ton of fuel. Oh yeah and Im running 2 22g tanks.

Mr.Havasu
06-09-2004, 05:50 AM
you can get gas at willow (10 miles before the dam) We ran out of gas on the way there one time. strong current will empty the tank faster than normal.

RiverToysJas
06-09-2004, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by Jetdriver
Laughlin to Cottonwood is more than 20 miles.
Katherine's to Cottonwood, via the lake, is about 20 miles.

FunOnTheWater
06-09-2004, 06:54 PM
great ride, if you get the chance make the run:D

kindsvatercurt
06-09-2004, 08:49 PM
very cool

Ziggy
06-09-2004, 08:52 PM
These pics just got me all hyped on doing this run...
This Awesome pic
http://www.lasvegas***boats.com/iB_html/uploads/post-6-35566-Hoover3.jpg
And this pic
http://www.op6c.com/yearend_03/ye1k.jpg
has got me totally fired up.....just told the wife we're going.
:D :D :D