PDA

View Full Version : SuperCharger Question

tisfortexas
06-09-2004, 01:47 AM
I pulled one off I believe was a 4 cylinder 2 cycle diesel engine several years ago thinking it could be used later. Would this be a 4-71 charger off a small Detroit diesel? It was bolted on the right side of the motor. No snout or drive on it, just a gear where its driven on the front of the motor under the front plate. Second question is this too small to do any good for power other than what it came from or maybe an import? Also how the hell do I get this industrial orange paint off it to polis it? Even if it's too small for my use I think it would look cool cleaned and polished sitting on a desk or something. You know like a rich persons conversation piece; but my poor ol' boy bullshit part.:wink:

06-09-2004, 07:40 AM
Most likely a 4-71 as you thought. Not much use for those anymore, back in the late 50s and early 60s the 4-71 was used on 265-283 SBCs for a street engine that didn't need much more than about 4-5 lbs of boost. Make a door stop out of it....thats about all its good for.:D

HeavyHitter
06-09-2004, 07:46 PM
4-71 will work fine for a small block. You just have to spin it a bit faster than a 6-71. You'll want to have it clearanced for boost application (rotors moved to 0.003 of the exhaust surface). The bolt pattern should be at the base of the casting. If its through the bulk of the casting then its a smaller 53 series blower which is what the small B&M/Weiand blowers are copied from. Don't know anyone who makes a drive snout for those little blowers so in that case it's a door stop or paper weight.

superdave013
06-10-2004, 01:47 AM
here's a pic of Disco Charger's 4-71 BBC.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/273DSC00973-med.JPG