PDA

View Full Version : Stringers???

JET-O-VATOR
06-09-2004, 09:52 AM
OK NOW WE ARE WORKING ON MY OTHER BUDDYS BOAT AND THE LEFT STRINGER WAS IN REALLY BAD SHAPE. BUT THE RIGHT WAS AWESOME. SO WE CUT OUT THE BAD STRINGER ALL THE WAY UP TO JUST UNDER THE DASH WERE THE WOOD WAS STILL IN GREAT SHAPE. SO OUR PLAN IS TO GLASS IN THE NEW STRINGER AS WELL AS SCAP IN ANOTHER PIECE THE WHOLE LENGTH OF THE WOOD AND GLASS IT ALL IN AND THEN HAVE A PIECE OF METAL ROLLED THE THE LENGTH OF THE ENGINE AREA ON BOTH SIDE TO MOUNT THE MOTOR MOUNTS TO.... ARE WE HEADED IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION OR NO. AND WHAT KIND OF GLASS SHOULD WE USE?? THANX IN ADVANCE..

BrendellaJet
06-09-2004, 11:48 AM
You'll be better off glassing in a new stringer. Make a jig that will place it exactly where the existing one is and get to work. It will be stronger this way. Right under the bow is probably the spot where the stringers go through the most torture, so you want to make sure you have one pice there.
Ill need more detail on your motor mount idea. Its fine for the stock mounts to bolt up to the stringers... You could go with a rail kit, but I dont think they are any stronger, just less stress on the stringer.

Jake W
06-09-2004, 12:01 PM
I second do the whole stringer.
I am sure the boat is made of Poleyester type resin and mat,cloth roving ect.so you would want to go back with this type of material.
Jake:D

JET-O-VATOR
06-09-2004, 12:03 PM
YOU GUYS ARE ALWAYS TALKING ABOUT A RAIL KIT BUT I DONT UNDERSTAND WHAT IT IS . THE IDEA ON THE MOTOR MOUNT THING IS WE ARE GOING TO TAKE A 4 FOOT LONG PIECE OF METAL AND HAVE IT ROLLED LONG WAYS THE SAME WIDTH OF THE STRINGERS, SLIP IT OVER THE STRINGERS THEN BOLT IT THROUGH THE STRINGERS...

Jake W
06-09-2004, 12:33 PM
I have seen wht you are talking about done but with Alum so it wont rust and will be lighter.
A rail kit is two pices of alum angle running from the transom to the front of the motro along the srtingers and alum flat stock on the sides for the alum angle to be bolted to.then flat plate motor plates are fabbed and all is bolted togeather with alum blocks .I put a pic up of mine I have started on I am sure alot of people have very clean pics of theirs too.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/2/4324Rail_kt.jpg

JET-O-VATOR
06-09-2004, 12:44 PM
THEN I QUESS MY BOAT HAS A RAIL KIT. THE STRINGERS ON MY BOAT ARE FULL LENGTH BUT ONLY MAYBE AN INCH WIDE BUT THEY ARE STRONG AS HELL AND IN THE MOTOR AREA WHERE THE ENGINE MOUNTS THERE IS A 1/4 X 6"X 2 F00T PIECE OF ALUMINUM ON EACH SIDE OF THE STRINGER ON BOTH SIDES...... BUT ANYWAYS WHAT KIND OF GLASS AND RESIN SHOULD WE USE?????

Jake W
06-09-2004, 07:56 PM
Marine Poleyester Resin ,and what ever type of weight mat you want to use but make sure if it is thinner mat or cloth you use enough layers.
Some have used the new epoxy type resin and say it is the best?I have never used it over a poley boat so I can not coment on it.

JET-O-VATOR
06-10-2004, 06:50 AM
THANKS ALOT WE ARE GOING TO JUMP INTO INSTALLING THE NEW STRINGERS TONIGHT AND HOPEFULLY FINISH THEM BY THE END OF THE WEEKEND....