PDA

View Full Version : 460 HP capability

Beavertim
12-05-2002, 10:01 PM
I have a 460 Ford with a PFM twin turbo setup making 8 psi boost (intake boost control). My desktop dyno runs say it should make 550 HP @ 5000 RPM. Porting the heads and installing bigger exhaust valves will add ~90 HP (according to DD). My question is this; how much HP can the bottom end of the 460 handle? It has a stock crank, CJ rods w/ARP bolts, forged TRW pistons (~8.3:1 CR). BTW, its in a 21 ft Eliminator cruiser driving a Dominator jet with a AA Aggressor impeller.

Craig
12-06-2002, 07:28 AM
From what I recallfrom my jetboat days;
The 68-74 blocks have thicker cylinder walls and will take a larger overbore and be a little stronger.
If it's apart you can add 4 bolt mains if you don't have the rare CJ block.
The good Ford rods are the truck/police/SCJ rods. They're identified by the football shaped head on the rod bolt.
The stock crank can be nitrided for a little more strength.
These motors can eaisly handle 600 horspower if assembled properly.

Blown 472
12-06-2002, 07:31 AM
You might want to talk to 058, I have had bearing problems with mine and he dialed me in.

HOSS
12-06-2002, 12:07 PM
How much is too much?
You are fine as is. But if you are going to still go for more hp,,,,,Then you better get some different main caps, like 4 hole ones. And of course, you have balanced this deal right?
Damn, you got a twin turbo, that`s what I want. Can you post pics?
Ford BIG blocks can handle some power as I`ve found out. Thank goodness I left Chevy in the dust.
Gotta love those bench racers!
[ December 06, 2002, 12:09 PM: Message edited by: HOSS ]

Hotcrusader76
12-06-2002, 12:17 PM
HOSS,
Check your ***boat in box?

12-06-2002, 02:23 PM
Blown 472:
You might want to talk to 058, I have had bearing problems with mine and he dialed me in.058 is in the building..... :D The 460 lower end is pretty stout. I've run 12-13 lbs of boost with a 2 bolt block [studs] cast crank [no heat treat] truck rods with ARP bolts and Speed Pro L2404F pistons spinning the engine 67-6800 and never had any crank/bearing problems. Make sure there is plenty of clearance on the mains. The 3" journal needs .0033"-.004" and a HV oil pump, set running pressure to 65-70 lbs. Make sure you keep the engine from detonating or pre-igniting. The weak point I have found so far is head gaskets, if you plan on more boost have the block O ringed. If you have the D2VE heads [open chamber] throw those away and find a set of D3VE-A2A heads, they are 91cc closed chamber and will work alot better than the detonation prone open chamber heads. Have a shop cut the heads for the 2.24" intake and the 1.74" exhaust and do the usual ex. port work. Get a cam ground specifically for turbocharged engines, try something like 114 L/C, longer duration on the intake and shorter duration on the exhaust and as much lift as your wallet and heads will stand. That should get you closer to where you want to be.

Fiat48
12-06-2002, 07:07 PM
More Ford info can be found here: http://www.reincarnation-automotive.com/index.html

HeavyHitter
12-06-2002, 08:07 PM
Over 1000 each in torque and hp. 71 block machined for 4 bolt chromoly splayed caps and forged internally balanced crank. Lunati pro mod rods and J&E pistons. 14 psi boost maxed the fuel system. 514 BBF. Stock will handle more than 600 hp but it better not get in trouble or you're buying new rods, crank, and block. Cast parts don't take abuse.
http://home.earthlink.net/~wstoss/_uimages/IM000177.JPG

77charger
12-06-2002, 08:31 PM
I can say that the bottom end is bullet proof.i use a stock shortblock out of a lincoln and i have wound it up to 5700 on the bottle.it has held up well for at least 1 year and still runs strong.The motor is bone stock except for the cam and valve train(the weak part if stock)I added the goodies studs,rockers,guide plates.
IMO the stock bbfs are stronger than the stock bbcs.Oh yea my motor is the 429 and i have another dive block laying around.

Beavertim
12-06-2002, 09:24 PM
Thanks for all of the good input. Sounds like my setup (bottom end) can handle an additional 100-150 HP w/o problems. I'm turning an AA impeller so the R's even with added the added HP shouldn't exceed 5500.
Heavy hitter, thats the first blow-thru system I've seen on a boat. Is it intercooled? Also, those Aluminum heads must be nice.
What are you turbo guys using for intercoolers? I'll try to get a pic of my setup on here. My pics aren't good because there stills from my video camera. I'd upload the video, but this lousy dial-up would take forever. Thanks all, Tim

Beavertim
12-07-2002, 08:01 AM
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Forum_Graphic_Depot/boat001.JPG
Here is the pic of my turbo setup (sorry about the quality)