PDA

View Full Version : OT: Been Done But Need Home Page Help

CAHotRodBoy
06-09-2004, 04:41 PM
One of the links from a post here focked up my system. It turned my home page to this stupid search engine page and I can't change it back. Everytime I open IE it goes to this page.
This is what it says in the address box:
about:blank
Anyone know how to get rid of this? I have PopUp Manager but it doesn't seem to help this problem.
Thanks

mickeyfinn
06-09-2004, 04:49 PM
To start with a post here can't screw up your web page. First thing is you should post a link to the page so someone else can try and view it. Then get a good ftp program and see if it is there. Also what kind of server is it on? Did your page get shut down? Did you post a link to something that got a lot of traffic and exceed your bandwidth limit? If you are trying to host from home do you have a dynamic IP address? If so and your IP address changed that would do it too. If it is just coming up about:blank then it sounds like you are linked to a wrong addy or else the information has been deleted.

BlownHowardCat
06-09-2004, 05:11 PM
Try looking at the properties for internet explorer. Right click IE on your desktop........choose properties.......click on the general tab and see what it says your homepage is.......you can paste an addy in there to change your home page.

CAHotRodBoy
06-09-2004, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by BlownHowardCat
Try looking at the properties for internet explorer. Right click IE on your desktop........choose properties.......click on the general tab and see what it says your homepage is.......you can paste an addy in there to change your home page.
I keep doing that but it keeps changing back. I even used ***boat.com and it just goes back. When I check the properties it shows "about.blank" in the box.
Mickey, I didn't have the problem until I clicked on a link that was on here so I assumed that's what did it.
Is there a link to ad ware or cw shredder?

NorCal Gameshow
06-09-2004, 05:23 PM
sounds like it changed some entries in your registry.
check out this forum (http://www.computercops.biz/postt43426.html)

BlownHowardCat
06-09-2004, 05:26 PM
ad aware (http://download.com.com/3000-2094-10045910.html?legacy=cnet)

Phat Matt
06-09-2004, 05:31 PM
Sounds like you've been attacked by some spyware programs.
These programs work well for searching for and removing malware and spyware.
Spybot Search & Destroy 1.3
Ad-aware 6.0 by Lavasoft
Hijackthis
Go to www.download.com or do a google search for these programs.
After you run these and clean you system you can go back tools/internet options menu and change your start up page.
Be care with Hijackthis though. It will show you a list of all current systems running and most of them will be fine. You may only have a few bad programs running at start up that take over your system.
Good luck.

Ntwotrance
06-09-2004, 05:37 PM
also, not only run a spyware tracker on your computer, but do a search afterwards for the webpage name, if it's www.goto.com, do a search of goto, odds are that the actual file is being missed by the spyware..if you find it, delete it.