PDA

View Full Version : Battery charger Recommendations...

FRENCHIE
06-09-2004, 05:34 PM
Anyone got any recommendations based on experience, on a good batt charger for the boat, and how much$$$??:confused: ALso is anyo9ne familiar with the one costco carries for about $60.00....any good??? it is a carry on jump starter and air compressor in one! thanx Frenchie.;)

Phat Matt
06-09-2004, 05:38 PM
I have the one from costco in my boat. It works good too. It gives you a little more peace of mind as well.
I think I picked up my battery charger at autozone. It has manual or automatic shut off which is pretty cool and it is made for deep cycle batteries.

Mandelon
06-09-2004, 05:53 PM
Just make sure you keep an eye on the water level in the batteries. Charging them all the time can cook out some of the water.
I use a trickle charger with auto-shutoff from Sears. You can install it in the engine compartment permanently connected or get one that clamps one instead.
The jumpstarter dealio is a real life saver, it has started me several times after using all my juice blasting tunes all day....

Hallett19
06-09-2004, 06:15 PM
I just got the automatic regular and deep cycle 12 and 6 volt charger from Sears. It was $75 I think and it has float charging capabilities (whatever that means) the guy told me that was good to have and it shuts off and turns on automatically !!

Dr. Eagle
06-09-2004, 06:19 PM
I have an automatic battery charger from Sears too. I rarely use it because i put a Guest Products charger/maintainer installed in the engine compartment. I just plug the boat in to a cord and it is always ready. If you leave the sears charger on it, it will boil the electrolyte... not something you want. I usually use the sears charger on the jet skis and if I let my jeep sit for too long.

ahhell
06-09-2004, 06:32 PM
I've been using this one in my motorhome for over a year, and have recently switched it to the boat. It has a max charge of 3.2 watts and its made by Volkswagen for their overseas transports. you can get them on ebay for 10-15 bucks, and being solar powered and living in the desert!!......
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1518aaa.JPG

Debbolas
06-09-2004, 06:42 PM
We have the jump starter/air compresser as well.
It is good for peace of mind..........;)

FRENCHIE
06-09-2004, 07:11 PM
im gonna get that jump starter / compressor tomorrow!;)

Debbolas
06-09-2004, 07:13 PM
Our friends have a 30ft Kachina and took it out, didn't switch the batteries right, and ran their stereo all day. At the end of the day, they couldn't start their boat. It is a good thing to have....;)

dicudmore
06-09-2004, 07:15 PM
FRENCHIE the jump starter compressor thing works good....
I've used it to jump a few cars @ work....
So far I haven't had to use it on the boat :D
I wouldn't think you'd have much need for it as much as you drive that boat.....10 hrs in a week? My hero dude....
I've got 19 since I picked mine up in April

FRENCHIE
06-09-2004, 07:15 PM
i hear ya on that one! I think that will be ok for now until winter when i store it, then get some maintenance chargers to keep batteries topped off!;)

dicudmore
06-09-2004, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by Debbolas
Our friends have a 30ft Kachina and took it out, didn't switch the batteries right, and ran their stereo all day. At the end of the day, they couldn't start their boat. It is a good thing to have....;)
oops, don't ya hate that :confused:
ya gots two batteries for that very reason and you leave it switched to BOTH with the stereo on....ah well

Debbolas
We also charge our batteries in the motorhome and boat a few days before we go. Just to be safe.................;)

Dr. Eagle
In my Eliminator I had a little gizmo called a battery coupler. It would couple the accessory batteries when there was a charge voltage on the engine batteries and disconnect them when the voltage dropped back around 12v. It actually worked pretty well.
Made it so I didn't have to worry about switches at all...:D

dicudmore
06-09-2004, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by FRENCHIE
i hear ya on that one! I think that will be ok for now until winter when i store it, then get some maintenance chargers to keep batteries topped off!;)
with my batteries switched off or disconnected I've left them for months and had them crank no prob....
also, anytime during the winter we can pull that thing out of storage and go drop it in the water for a few hours :cool:

FRENCHIE
06-09-2004, 07:22 PM
good to know, thanx on that one!;)

dicudmore
06-09-2004, 07:23 PM
always hear to help out a boating brother.....
however come winter I might have a longer drive to meet ya for that day trip, or you might have to come up to Mead, me thinks I'm moving to LV ASAP :D

Debbolas
06-09-2004, 07:26 PM
so we can come and stay at your house and go to Hallett Beach!;)

dicudmore
06-09-2004, 07:27 PM
so we can come and stay at your house and go to Hallett Beach!;)
damn right :D
I'm looking forward to the house warming party also :cool:

Debbolas
06-09-2004, 07:27 PM
:D

hd&boatrider
06-09-2004, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by dicudmore
FRENCHIE the jump starter compressor thing works good....
I've used it to jump a few cars @ work....
So far I haven't had to use it on the boat :D
I wouldn't think you'd have much need for it as much as you drive that boat.....10 hrs in a week? My hero dude....
I've got 19 since I picked mine up in April
29 hours on mine already :) More to come as soon as I pick it up

77charger
06-09-2004, 07:38 PM
Back to the subject.I have a sears 2/10/50 start chargerIt is all automatic just select between 2 or 10 amps.I paid like 30 bucks for it it was on sale when i walked in to buy a battery saw the price bought it.It does a good job.I definitely get my use out of it.Now the boat gets a 100 amp alternator with 4 gage wire from the alt to the batteries.Should be a quick charge now for sure.

dicudmore
06-09-2004, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by hd&boatrider
29 hours on mine already :) More to come as soon as I pick it up
I'm with ya there.....bought it to run it.
Ive got a lot of hours this year if you count all the different boats I've been out on :D
Just 20 on mine ;)

phebus
06-10-2004, 07:12 AM
Does the air compressor on the jump starters work worth a darn, or would it be better to buy one without it?

FRENCHIE
06-10-2004, 10:21 AM
i just picked up the jump starter from costco today, and gonna play with it tonight, will leave ya feedback!;)

dicudmore
06-10-2004, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by phebus
Does the air compressor on the jump starters work worth a darn, or would it be better to buy one without it?
the comp on mine does not work worth crap. will not blow up a tube.
the $10 dc job from the sporting goods store works ok though....
just low volume

Dr. Eagle
06-10-2004, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by dicudmore
the comp on mine does not work worth crap. will not blow up a tube.
the $10 dc job from the sporting goods store works ok though....
just low volume
I have a separate compressor for tires and another for blowing up tubes and stuff. The ones for tubes need high volume low pressure. The ones for tires generally are higher pressure and lower volume. If I tried to blow up tubes or air mattresses with the one I use on tires, I'd be doing it all day.

dicudmore
06-10-2004, 12:33 PM
exactly.....
however, the thing is still a great jump starter.
Good purchase FRENCHIE