PDA

View Full Version : Good deal ?

riverbound
06-09-2004, 08:25 PM
I dropped my motor off today and was wondering what other people pay for this kind of work.
I have a 460 ford this place is going to balance, blueprint, install a new cam, new forged pistons, all new bearings,lifters, pushrods, 10qt oilpan,high volume oil pump, all machine work, new crank, once they completely assemble the motor they are going to break it in on the dyno and dyno tune the motor. They are charging me $3500. I dont know if this is a good price but the people were really cool and seemed to know there stuff. I dont have specs on what they are putting in but they said they would put the same brands of stuff I had before. TRW pistons, isky cam. They did have quite a few boats there with some pretty sick motors. And the owner was very familiar with my hull and pump and told me he would build the motor to suit my particular pump hull and driving style.

plaster dave
06-09-2004, 08:36 PM
who is doing the work? i just did mine with my buddie in his garage, and i kept my same pistons rods crank but i did put a new cam, valves, springs, rockers, push rods & i spent $ 1,000.00 just in misc. stuff at hawaii racing, so yea thats a great deal cause i did all the work with him, well he did 85% of it but i was their, so ggod luck bro :D

riverbound
06-09-2004, 09:06 PM
JMS racing engines in Monrovia. They are putting in everytrhing new except the rods.

Moneypitt
06-09-2004, 09:28 PM
I would love to SEE the BLUEPRINT posted here. Just the labor involved in BLUEPRINTING would cost more than $3500. I wanna puke when I hear some scam like that......Ask them for the actual blueprint of YOUR motor in advance. In other words I call BS...MP

spectras only
06-09-2004, 10:22 PM
QUOTE]Originally posted by riverbound
They are putting in everytrhing new except the rods. [/QUOTE][/B] Riverbound, your 460 has the truck rods. For 3500 they should get you a set of used 429 rods at least;) Here's a 460 with 429 heads/rods ,TRW 10.5:1 forged jugs ,ford motorsport A 443 cam, speed pro rockers . Total cost of rebuild 1500 pesos;) ,oops cdn:D . I would check out the SVO catalog and get a longblock from there if you don't want to wrench yourself.http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/ford460.1.jpg

BOBALOO
06-10-2004, 02:19 PM
I am familiar with Johnson Machine Service (JMS) because they are only 2 miles from my house. I have had some work done from them
boring/ cam bearings
Heads ( they have a serdi)
crank turning
and have bought misc parts from them.
I dont have prices in front of me but the work was done on time and was quality from what I could tell.
My buddy has a 22 Cole that they built a mild 383 for and he is in the low/mid 70s with no problems in 1 1/2 seasons.
I am not sure on the pricing but would say if you took your engine there after some research and are happy with the price and service than you are ahead of many of us and 3500 for an engine does not sound bad. This is a boat we're talking about here.

riverbound
06-10-2004, 02:45 PM
I am actually happy with the professionalism and the knowledge that they have. I am by no means being a tight ass I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't getting taken advantage of. I am the kind of person that will pay more just because of the way I was treated and in the past it has put me in the situation where I was way overcharged. As long as I am in the ballpark of what I should pay I wont complain about price.