PDA

View Full Version : If you were going to purchase a new pump?????

ShowDown
06-09-2004, 09:00 PM
If you were going to buy a new complete pump for your project boat (18-21ft) that was going to be used as a lake/river rod and occaisional bracket racing what would you purchase and why?
I am only talking about new pumps here, I know that not everybody would go that route so look at this as a hypothetical question. Also keep in mind that in your new pump you want an SS impellor and upgraded shaft and you also want to get the pump you feel would perform the best "out of the box" because that is the way you are going to run to begin with even though you will be having it worked over in a couple of years by a pro.
1. American Turbine
2. Berkeley
3. Dominator
4. Legend
5. Aggressor
What would you pick and why?

UBFJ #454
06-09-2004, 09:15 PM
Without Question ... Dominator.

ShowDown
06-09-2004, 09:29 PM
BEAR_454PE said...
Without Question ... Dominator.
Hi BEAR, I read your posts all the time and I know you are very knowledgable in the jetboat relm, and I also remember seeing your thread ahowing your busted Berk suction piece. Could you please elaborate on why your choice is Dominator? Thanks

UBFJ #454
06-09-2004, 09:36 PM
Will do when I Sober Up.

ShowDown
06-09-2004, 09:39 PM
Sounds good Bear, and I would appreciate it.
PS. I am having a little Maker's Mark and Coke myself!:D :D

Cs19
06-09-2004, 10:05 PM
Id look into a legend first, the quality is the best and they have some cool features in their pumps, especially if your going with a full set back.Droops and (i think)bowls are not compatible with the other pumps, so you cant swap with your berk buddies.
Cant go wrong with the Berk. a brand new berk has a few updated parts and the quality is good.I would not be concerned about breaking a suction housing unless your making huge power, sounds like your a hot rod river guy and its not a concern.
Dominator would be my 3rd choice, however some of their design isnt all that great and the quality is reasonable.I really dont like their suction piece since its so heavy and it has those big ass gussetts on the side, those make for a big pain in the ass if your fully set back.Yes, the strength is nice if you have 1500 horse like Bear has, but its not a concern for a river guy.Another thing is their bowl bushing set up isnt my favorite, i like the bowls that have an oil resevoir like Legend and berk.However,I do hear their bowls perform well for the performance guys after they have been worked some.
I cant really comment on Aggressor or Turbine, but from what I hear Agg. has had some quality issues in the past and Turbine does not.Ive only seen parts from turbine, and from what ive seen its nice stuff.You really dont see turbine around here a whole lot.
Call each pump company and see what they have to say.
Another option would be to piece something togethor and have a pump shop assemble it for you.
Like run a berk suction housing, legend aq shaft, legend ss impeller and wear ring,dominator bowl,amt droop,and a place diverter,thats what I would do if was starting from scratch and had the cash to do it.
good luck.

TRG
06-09-2004, 10:13 PM
jacuzzi all the way!!!

Cs19
06-09-2004, 10:20 PM
Panthers are actually the hot set up now..LOL

ShowDown
06-09-2004, 10:24 PM
Sorry, but no dice on the Jacuzzi deal Todd. Now if I really wanted to go ultra high horsepower we all know that the Panther can't be beat!:D

Cas
06-09-2004, 10:58 PM
glad to see you guys are finally coming around :D
tell ya one thing, breaking in a new motor is by far easier with a Panther. Just put the motor, hook everything up and break in the motor.....can't hurt the Panther.

UBFJ #454
06-10-2004, 07:30 AM
ShowDown -
As I'm sure you know, a Good Night's Sleep Does WONDERS for the body after having a beer or two, or three, or ... :D .
Some of my thoughts about jet pumps currently available on the market are as follows ...
First, I am not at all comfortable with any of the current manufacturer's cast suction pieces when Big Hp, say 2,500 +, is put to them ... I'd much prefer having a Billet Piece ... The bowls, droops, nozzles, etc. I can live with (for a while). Why ... Because AL has what you might call "Fatique Memory" and with the tremendous forces involved with Big Tq & Hp it's bad enough having that in a billet piece let alone in a cast piece.
Secondly, when buying a new pump these days from ANY manufacturer tell them up front that you will not accept delivery of any suction piece casting that has experienced a Core Shift during the casting process. Generally, you don't have to worry too much about this, but, one should watch for this as I have seen a number of pieces with core shift slip by the QA/QC process.
Thirdly, when ordering the suction piece & bowl, I would order them with a 16 hole pattern rather than a standard 8 hole pattern. I would also order the bowl with studs in the 16 holes rather than have it as a bolt on setup.
My preference for Dominator Pumps is based on the following:
1) They have the thickest suction piece wall thickness, something I really like when installing/running a PopOff Valve,
2) The bands along the sides of the suction piece casting add considerable strength in an area that it is needed,
3) The thrust bearing housing cast into the Dominator suction piece does not protrude out beyond the roof of the suction piece thus water fow along it roof, if any, is not split and sprayed to the top of the impeller ... probably not a big deal for a lake boat, but, with a racer, your looking for every little bit,
4) The bowl is longer by just over two inches and the veins in the bowl come all the way out straight (parallel to the center axis of the pump). This straightens the flow of the water and slows it slightly giving a very slight boost in pressure as the water goes into the nozzle. I also like a "stuffer plate" in any bowl.
and,
5) Any of the other manufacturer's droops will fit onto the back of the Dominator Bowl.
Regarding the impeller ... I like the SS Legend (with a SS shoulder wear ring) with an inducer installed before it. Not knowing your motor's Tq & Hp Spectra, I can't suggest what would be the best cut for your setup.

LakesOnly
06-10-2004, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by BEAR_454PE
My preference for Dominator Pumps is based on the following:
4) The bowl is longer by just over two inches and the veins in the bowl come all the way out straight (parallel to the center axis of the pump). This straightens the flow of the water and slows it slightly giving a very slight boost in pressure as the water goes into the nozzle.
And I belive that the Berkeley bowl needs a "stuffer" to get the efficiency of the Dominator in stock trim.
LO

toad polumsky
06-10-2004, 09:20 AM
These stainless steel impellers are pretty nice. And it is a Dominator.

toad polumsky
06-10-2004, 09:27 AM
Did you guys know that Dominator and American Turbine pumps have all the same components except the suction housing. They are both manufactured in Asotin WA, and all the parts come out of the same bin.

ShowDown
06-10-2004, 11:41 AM
Well, I have been calling pump manufacturers for the past week or so and WOW do you get some good/ very different stories from all of them. I guess you just shoot the dice to pick the version you want to believe, and hell thats coming from me, a life long salesman:confused: . I also talked to several "Pro" pump builders and got their opinions to. What I found interesting was that although you really don't hear much about Dominator pumps here on the boards a lot of the "Pros" really like them, or at least like their bowls in modified form. I talked to two guys who ran Blown Fuel Jets and one of them,(Earl McCoy) said that he ran both Berk and Dominator suction pieces but always ran Dominator bowls. Now I realize that he quit running BFJ 10-12 years ago and some of the things available now probably weren't then, and as far as the suction pieces went he said that he would sometimes look over and check out five or six different ones before he found one he liked, but he did not go into what his inspection process was. Don Bowers also told me that he Dominator exclusively in his Blown Fuel Boat and he as I understand had one of the baddest ones around up until just a few years ago. Don also said that a couple of the guys had good luck with American Turbine pumps in BFJs. The "Pros" I talked to on the west coast were Berkeley guys for the most part with an occasional Aggressor and Legend mention, and almost all of them liked either Aggressor or Legend impellors in their Berks.
toad polumsky said...
Did you guys know that Dominator and American Turbine pumps have all the same components except the suction housing. They are both manufactured in Asotin WA, and all the parts come out of the same bin.
So are Dominator and American Turbine Bowls the exact same?

rivercrazy
06-10-2004, 12:00 PM
I'd choose a Dominator or American Turbine myself. Not too impressed with Berkeley. Legend is also nice.

toad polumsky
06-10-2004, 12:05 PM
Dominator bowls since 1987 are the same as A.T. bowls.

UBFJ #454
06-10-2004, 12:21 PM
The Dominator Name is owned by the same family that owns American Turbine ... They originally did the design and owned Dominator ... Some things happened, but they now have the rights to the castings back ... Since it's not pertinent to the original question asked here ... Someone else can fill you'all in on the history of what happened ...
The question of difference of bowl designs between AMT $ D Bowls could be better answered by "American Turbine Man" who posts here ... Call him out and ask your questions.

TRG
06-10-2004, 08:43 PM
thats a real nice lookin imp. toat!

Jet Hydro
06-10-2004, 10:02 PM
The Jet Hydro had a Dominator on it when I bought it. Ran it for one season then changed to the Aggressor. After the first season running the Aggressor I installed the Dominator bowl and stuff on the SJ ( The Turd ) because it was never going to go back on the Jet Hydro.
I`d have to say Aggressor all the way.

ShowDown
06-11-2004, 07:54 AM
JetHydro--Was your Dominator pump in stock form or had you had the bowl and or imp. worked? Also, what kind of performance gain did you get by switching to the Aggressor?

HammerDown
06-11-2004, 09:31 AM
What ever became of Barracuda Pumps anyhow?
Bay Jet was the one to have :p

Cheap Thrills
06-11-2004, 12:01 PM
If I were to buy a new one Hamilton would be the one .
http://www.hamjet.co.nz/
C.T. :wink:

TIMINATOR
06-11-2004, 08:10 PM
Depends on what HP you have.... the less HP, the less difference most of the stuff makes. Same with speed..... the less you have the less difference all the little stuff makes. After 75+ things happen much differently. On a 60 mph boat the grate, bowl, and impeller differences don't mean squat.(ok a bit, but not enough to spend the$$$ to change them). At that level Horsepower per dollar spent on upgrades means much more. After 70 or so its probably a toss up IMO. Above 75-80 little differences in the setup can mean a BUNCH! My Daytona ran 90+(not sayin HOW much +), but with a bunch of small changes in the last 2 weeks I picked up 6+...! I ran a STOCK Dominator, now its not....... TIMINATOR:D

Ken F
06-12-2004, 04:46 AM
Just did buy a new pump for the new Cheyenne.......
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/552013000_Aggressor_Perf_Jet_cr-med.bmp
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/3085/5520OnTrlr1-med.jpg

UBFJ #454
06-12-2004, 05:28 AM
Aggressor makes excellent pumps and pump parts. It also probably has the largest dealer distribution and best customer support systems in the industry ... Things that are very important when considering a pump purchase.