PDA

View Full Version : Time to be humbled

68campbell
06-10-2004, 06:52 AM
I finally sold the flatty and promptly "invested" the money in a race car.
My first race is this saturday at the Santa Maria Speedway. (Mini-Stock #2x)
I need advise, pointers and tips from anyone who has driven a race car as this will be my first time.
The good news is that I am excellent at body work and "re-fabrication".
http://www.mavericksaloon.org/bmw1.jpg

Freak
06-10-2004, 07:17 AM
How’s the setup? Has that car been running on the track you plan on attending? You have a friend that has been running? Don't let the frustration in the beginning get you down.
Usually a practice is held on a weeknight. At least the tracks I attended. Go to it this week. Then you get to run with a few guys instead of a whole field and the other drivers will help and you will have a little seat time before the big night. Watch the other drivers. Look for their break points on the track. Remember them. Ease into those break points. Meaning break early in the beginning. If not I guarantee you will go in to hot and will be facing the wrong way. My car I braked hard at the break point to set the car then slowly lifted so at the apex I was back to the gas. Don’t fool with the setup in the beginning. Learn the car first. Run some laps. Right now you have no idea what it needs. Then make small changes one at a time. Like air pressure on one tire. Feel the difference.
In the drivers meeting they will tell the slower drivers to stay low on the straights if the leaders are coming around. Watch the flags he should tell you when they are behind you. HO BOY YOUR GONNA HAVE SOME FUN!
A post of how you did is mandatory.

68campbell
06-10-2004, 07:35 AM
The set-up is 60-40 left to right and front to rear. The car has been running with a "newer" driver. We just completed a new car for him and I get this car til my new one is ready (about a month away). The set-up seams to work on this track, but til I'm behind the wheel I don't know if its right for me.
I've pulled ski racers since I was 16 and have been driving flatty's about as long, so being in the "mix" and driving fast shouldn't be an issue.

Freak
06-10-2004, 07:36 AM
Cool so your not totally green and it sounds like you have some peeps with ya running. You will be fine. Keep us posted.

riverbound
06-10-2004, 08:13 AM
Go fast then turn left:D

sidewound
06-10-2004, 09:37 AM
Make sure all the saftey gear is up to snuff!
Peace Man!:cool:
CESAR

summerlove
06-10-2004, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by 68campbell
I finally sold the flatty and promptly "invested" the money in a race car.
My first race is this saturday at the Santa Maria Speedway. (Mini-Stock #2x)
I need advise, pointers and tips from anyone who has driven a race car as this will be my first time.
The good news is that I am excellent at body work and "re-fabrication".
http://www.mavericksaloon.org/bmw1.jpg
let me see if I get this right....you sold a perfectly good boat and bought the car pictured above?:confused: Good luck with that!;)

Freak
06-10-2004, 11:12 AM
These pure stock classes are a ball to drive in if your car is fast. I loved rub'in through the pack. Ahhh memories.

HCS
06-10-2004, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by summerlove
let me see if I get this right....you sold a perfectly good boat and bought the car pictured above?:confused: Good luck with that!;)
That's just what I was thinking:confused:

OGShocker
06-10-2004, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by summerlove
Might be hard to ski behind.

68campbell
06-10-2004, 11:28 AM
I still have 4 more boats, well 3 if they need to run...
The car pictured is temporary, the new car still need to be completed.
http://www.mavericksaloon.org/bmw2.jpg

jackpunx
06-10-2004, 12:09 PM
Try shifter Karts...

68campbell
06-10-2004, 12:56 PM
Shifter carts...
...You've obviously never seen me drive, roll cage required

WaTchTheGelCoat
06-10-2004, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by jackpunx
Try shifter Karts...
Anyone interested? I sell em. ;) :D

CrazyHippy
06-10-2004, 04:16 PM
I keep looking at them, but this boating habit eats money....LOL
Last thing I need is another Hole to throw money at
BJH:D

RiverToysJas
06-10-2004, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by WaTchTheGelCoat
Anyone interested? I sell em. ;) :D
Do you have a website? What do they cost? I need more hobbies I can't efford!!! Actually I just need my wife to walk up behind me while I'm "shopping" for one!!! LOL She'll shut that down faster than a John Force elimination pass. ;)
RTJas :D

HighRoller
06-11-2004, 12:52 PM
Start in the back!!!Nothing's scarier than starting in the middle of the pack when you don't know what to expect, then they drop the rag and people are beating on you from behind because you're not going fast enough. Soon, you try to go too fast and do something stupid! Make sure you tell the starter this is your first race and he'll tell you the rookie procedures. Other than that, make damn sure you have a firesuit, helmet, gloves and that your belts are in good condition.(Clean, not frayed, not bunched up etc...)Make a special effort to pay attention to the flagstand when you pass by. Reading the flags is hard at first but gets easier with time. Most of all, HAVE FUN!

jackpunx
06-11-2004, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by 68campbell
Shifter carts...
...You've obviously never seen me drive, roll cage required
Well .. let me know when you want to be challenged ... I'll take you out in my shifter.. You'll never get back in a car..Well thats not all true.. but ask anyone who has run shifters.. its the closest thing to F1 that you can get.. (power to weight ratio) for cheap..
you can get into a new shifter with a nice motor for about 8k.
We go in the winter
Regardless what you do.. have fun.. and be ready to break something..And practice as often as you can.. make sure you know your breaking points.. its better to go in slower for a faster exit..
When you feel like your going slow.. Usually it means your in the zone.. and your running clean.. not scrubbing time by sliding around.. You will find when you look at your clock.. that you are actually going faster..
Have fun..
Dont be bummed out when that 14yr old kid hands you your ass.lol
..:D