PDA

View Full Version : F-350 SuperDuty Problem

hcb26
04-04-2006, 08:45 AM
Wondering if anyone else is having this problem? I have a 2005 Superduty with a 6" lift and 37" BFG muds I installed an Edge Chip and intake, have not done exhaust yet. When Im towing my cat or tow hauler and I get up into 28-33 psi(boost) I am leaking radiator fluid out the resivor. Its building up too much psi. I only have 20,000 miles on it and have towed with it twice. The edge has been on for 3 months but I dont drive it hard. Whats going on what can I do.

redi4fun
04-04-2006, 08:53 AM
This might be your problem. Try it out. :idea:
http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/articles/article-06-02.php
Good luck.

hcb26
04-04-2006, 09:12 AM
Thanks that sounds like the problem because it was overheating alittle bit pulling the grades and I wasnt even on it. I will check it out.

H20 Toie
04-04-2006, 10:56 AM
i have a 05 f 350 and 6" lift with 37's and a edge with stock intake but a banks exhaust and have not had any problems pulling the boat which is 10k lbs. i have 15k miles but i do set the progammer at 2 which is tow mode whenever pulling

hcb26
04-04-2006, 11:41 AM
I talked to ford and there is a recall on the coolant level. He said its happing a lot. We shall see.

partytime
04-04-2006, 11:50 AM
Don't forget to pop out that Edge chip first...

83cp
04-04-2006, 01:07 PM
had the same problem on my 05. have them put the sticker on the resevor and also there is a recal for the temp guage not reading correct, changed both of those and the guage doesn't move even up hill with a load. hope this helps

TUNNEL T
04-04-2006, 07:13 PM
I talked to ford and there is a recall on the coolant level. He said its happing a lot. We shall see.
don't let them reflash! you'll lose a little ,plus if your going to take it in you might want to take the edge out for a couple of days, ive got the six gun tuner (banks) and exhaust,had recall and still puked ,i think i might have been too full still! TUNNEL T p.s. dieselstop.com very good site!

hcb26
04-06-2006, 07:55 AM
Got my truck back from ford today, they said the resivour cap was holding 0 psi and that is why radiator fluid was spitting out and it was overheating. I can see it spitting out but why would that cause it to over heat? Losing psi would not cause the coolant to stop flowing correctly, would it??? There is I belive an overflow hose that goes back to the radiator. I will be towing my tow hauler at the end of this month we will see I guess?

riverroyal
04-25-2006, 07:03 PM
get it figured out yet?Mine did it,bad innercooler,now bad turbo,just got it home tonight,,,long story,but its fixed now,i went through the same issues.Pm me if your still messin with it

HTRDLNCN
04-25-2006, 07:49 PM
I take it you guys that are towing heavy loads with chipped diesels are keeping a close eye on your EGTs?
Doesnt take much time at all under heavy load to cook stuff ..

riverroyal
04-25-2006, 07:58 PM
but 4 inch banks exhaust.Mine had a bad innercooler from mile 1,it took awhile but finally busted the housing and was blowing by.Thus causing even hotter gases.Im no diesel expert,but its been a nightmare

flatnfast
04-25-2006, 10:06 PM
to much boost, causing the head bolts to stretch and blowing out head gaskets will cause the bottle to spew. sure theres a recall on the coolant/bottle, people left and right are coming into our dealership with different concerns from no boost issues or coolant concerns and the first thing we have to look for is add on stuff like chips, pyrometers, etc.... any kind of evidence per our rep then it just went customer pay.

soupersonic
04-26-2006, 06:31 AM
to much boost, causing the head bolts to stretch and blowing out head gaskets will cause the bottle to spew. sure theres a recall on the coolant/bottle, people left and right are coming into our dealership with different concerns from no boost issues or coolant concerns and the first thing we have to look for is add on stuff like chips, pyrometers, etc.... any kind of evidence per our rep then it just went customer pay.
So if you put a gauge on a ford it voids the warranty? :rolleyes:

riverroyal
04-26-2006, 07:42 PM
my serv advisor is great,he says exhaust and intake no problem.If they see a chip or programmer your screwed

245 LIMITED
04-27-2006, 11:09 PM
Hey I Wanting To Purchase A New Diesel , But The Ford Is The Truck I Want However I Heard At Approx 40k Miles The New 6.0 Looses A Turbo . I Also Heard They Are Discontinuing The 6.0. I Really Dont Want A Dodge But The Cummins Is Reliable But Slow. The Gm Is Nice I Havent Heard A Bit Of Problems. Is The Allison Trans Only Avail In Gm. I Hear Ford Ford Ford But Spending 40k For A New Truck I Dont Want The Head Aches

soupersonic
04-28-2006, 07:15 AM
Hey I Wanting To Purchase A New Diesel , But The Ford Is The Truck I Want However I Heard At Approx 40k Miles The New 6.0 Looses A Turbo . I Also Heard They Are Discontinuing The 6.0. I Really Dont Want A Dodge But The Cummins Is Reliable But Slow. The Gm Is Nice I Havent Heard A Bit Of Problems. Is The Allison Trans Only Avail In Gm. I Hear Ford Ford Ford But Spending 40k For A New Truck I Dont Want The Head Aches
If you want some good information check out the the diesel forums like www.turbodieselregister.com or www.thedieselstop.com
The cummins is slow? :rolleyes: Want to go for a ride? :D
GM has their share of problems too. If i had to buy another diesel right now i would buy another Dodge or Chevy as a second choice.I was a diehard chevy fan but i when i needed a diesel i did some homework and made my choice. I recommend you do the same.

245 LIMITED
04-28-2006, 10:07 AM
I Looked At The Dodge And Love The Exterior. The Int Didnt Qiute Feel To Plush But Has The Work Horse Look. I Can See It Would Be A Good Truck . The Dealership Discounted Them To 34,000 Out The Door Loaded 4dr,4x4 Big Horn Edition, But The Ford Looks Good To I Am A Diehard Chevy Fan , I Know You All Seem To Be Very Knowledgeable So Thats Why I Ask Whats The Preferences And Why

STV_Keith
04-28-2006, 01:33 PM
Got my truck back from ford today, they said the resivour cap was holding 0 psi and that is why radiator fluid was spitting out and it was overheating. I can see it spitting out but why would that cause it to over heat? Losing psi would not cause the coolant to stop flowing correctly, would it???
Under pressure, the water will absorb more heat. Without the pressure increase, it won't.
I take it you guys that are towing heavy loads with chipped diesels are keeping a close eye on your EGTs?
Doesnt take much time at all under heavy load to cook stuff ..
The Edge Juice/Attitude these guys have has automatic EGT backdown built into it. Set it for the max EGT you want to see, and it will automatically back the power out if necessary, to maintain that limit.
The Ford 6.0 has a well documented history of blowing head gaskets, losing injectors and pissing out of the overflow in stock trim. The boxes are not causing the problems. There is a reason that International/Navistar sells the motors to Ford with NO WARRANTY (because they said the limit was 250hp, and Ford wanted to turn them up to compete with the others out there).

245 LIMITED
04-28-2006, 11:06 PM
i heard them problems too , my father in law works for ford . says they sell a whole lot of them but the engine isnt worth a beans. i thought ford was going to a 6.4 in 07. why did they get rid of the 7.3 , that was a dumb move. even though gm uses isuzu diesel it can take a whole lot of upgrades and perform . with the allison to boot. cummins is awsome but im liery of the trans. i had a 96 dodge diesel and had to put 2 trannys in it and a front end at 95k miles . so what one would you go for.

soupersonic
04-29-2006, 07:34 AM
They vastly improved the dodge tranny.I haul 14k with mine, 60,000 miles now on it. Talk to STV Keith he works for a diesel performance shop.Diesel Dynamics i think. I would value his opinion more than mine.Anyone could recommend a truck and you could have problems with it, none of them are perfect.I would rather see a guy do some research like how many open service bulletins are on each vehicle,how many failures per hundred each tranny manufacturer has and what other known problems like injectors,turbos,fuel pumps ,overheating etc .
Theres a guy here on the boards "photoglue" that get smokin deals on chevy's if you need one.Let us know what you decide. :)

245 LIMITED
04-29-2006, 01:00 PM
i agree we always hear the bad i think they all have a positive and neg about each. the ford and dodge look awsome lifited and the chevy well it looks ok after robbing the pocket for a lift first. with fuel prices killing us the big 3 have hard time selling anything right now her diesel is 3.15 a gl. i sold my 04 gmc 1/2 ton to buy a new diesel. my boat weighs 7500 lbs and 24' not heavy but to much for a half ton. till i find what i want ( with all your guys input) i tow with my old 76 3/4 ton with a 454. what a sled 250 hp and 4.5 miles to the gallon. is there a difference in a out of california truck compared to in cal. i heard they are detuned to meet cal specks. how hard is it to get one from out of state never tried

Cheyenne19
04-30-2006, 05:10 PM
Check out thedieselplace.com
Ford is getting rid of the 6.0 because of the troubles with it. imho Dodge has a great motor, bad tranny. GM is very solid. They had some injector trouble with the old lb7 Dmax's, but warrant most of them too 200,000 miles. The lly which is from '04.5 to '05 is very good. And the new lbz is great with the 6 speed ally. I wouldn't wait long to get a new diesel of any flavor. The epa is killing them with the new emissions laws for 07. The cost of the new equipment on the truck is being passed on to the buyer by all of the big 3. I also hear the power and fuel economy will suffer as well. Paying more for a truck with less power and worse fuel milage sucks. I think chevy is the best bet, but I am biased. pm me if i can help.

riverroyal
05-01-2006, 08:00 PM
my turbo was replaced,last week