PDA

View Full Version : Question for smart ones out there.....

Janky
12-09-2001, 12:13 PM
I have this friend that I think is a total liar.. I don't know the slightest thing about motors except that I turn the key and they make rude sounds that make me happy... He is claiming that he is pushing 1000 HP out of a Chev 350 in his Camaro with a NOS system that makes it 1500 when engaged.... Tell me if I am the only one that thinks he is a liar.... O yeah... I asked him if he had a blower and he didn't even know what kind or what size. And as far a carbs... he doesn't know what they are either. I think that if I had this kick ass motor in my camaro that I would know what was on it pushing the 1000-1500 horses.

Leland Bailey
12-09-2001, 02:09 PM
Janky,
If you dont want to hang out with liars, you need to change friends. If that 350 was making that kind of hp Jeff Gordon would be looking for your friend. Would probably pay ten zilloin for it. 350s dont make that kind of hp. I am sure someone will tell me I am wrong but when you do, better be prepared to prove it. Keep in mind he said in a street car. Later383

Dimarco Kid
12-09-2001, 02:21 PM
You right Leland, 350's don't make that kind of power but 355's do! LOL
Thought you might like that,
D Kid

Infomaniac
12-09-2001, 03:44 PM
Janky,
Just for comparison. An Outlaw sprint car engine 410 CID 15:1 - 16:1 compression built to the hilt injected alcohol make approx 800 HP give or take 25. Tell your friend to eat shit and die.

wsm9808
12-09-2001, 11:27 PM
The guy I bought my jetboat from claimed it ran 95 mph, but as fast as I could get it to run with his set up was 60mph. Some people are just full of crap. But if you want to one-up your buddy you can tell him I got an uncle that has a 327 that makes 1250hp with a single carb and runs on fuel made from squeezed corn. Honest! The only reason no one has heard about the stuff is because the exhaust fumes duplicate the smell of doe deer in heat and Bucks will chase down any car using it and hump the $h!t out of everyone in the car. Government had to ban the stuff. If you could see how funny my uncle walks now you would know it was true.
[This message has been edited by wsm9808 (edited December 09, 2001).]
[This message has been edited by wsm9808 (edited December 09, 2001).]

Craig
12-10-2001, 06:51 AM
Make him prove he's even close. Either find a shop that has a chasis dyno or run it at the drags. At the drags it's easy to compute rear wheel horsepower if you know the weight of the car and use the speed at the end of the quater mile. Basically, if you assumed his car weighs say, 3500 lbs. he would be running in the neighborhood of 155 mph in 9.5 sec. and that's without the juice. Most of the times they'll be afraid to run it at the strip because they're afraid of the truth! Of course there's a lot of guys out there running 10 sec street machines that would be lucky to break into the 12's!
Craig
[This message has been edited by Craig (edited December 10, 2001).]

Janky
12-10-2001, 04:50 PM
Thanks guys your replies were awesome... I can't wait till he brags again so I can tell that bull SH&^ corn fuel deer story. LMAO

CrazyHippy
12-10-2001, 10:02 PM
I've got a 10 sec street machine (honest 10.2) and it is running right around 165 hp.... little tiny motor, but damn it's fast!!!
BJH

Clutch
12-12-2001, 10:52 AM
Hey WSM
Stop your killin me, I will pass that story to my friends.By the way have you stumbled across any 468 pistons? Russell

wsm9808
12-12-2001, 06:45 PM
Actually, I did read something a few weeks ago about an alternative fuel that is being tested that is made from corn, I just kind of skimmed over it, but I thought they said they were selling the stuff at the pump in a few test areas. Think it had properties simular to ethanol.
No 468 pistons, but a guy called today wanting to sell some .005 over 454 SRP flat tops. I would like to have them for a blower motor I'm staring on, but I've got myself on a spending freeze untill after New Years when my shop work load gets back up to normal. It always gets real slow just before Christmas.