PDA

View Full Version : Is it being a D!ck or helpfull

Jake W
06-10-2004, 06:20 PM
It seems like alot of the new guys ask the same questions or all of us at one time have done the same.
I see alot of people being cheap.I have been cheap and had to redo alot of stuff and wished I just did it right in the first place.So my qusetion is is it being a dick to tell them the stuff they bought sucks and to try agine.
Oyea Jetboat
Jake:D

Blown 472
06-10-2004, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by Jake W
It seems like alot of the new guys ask the same questions or all of us at one time have done the same.
I see alot of people being cheap.I have been cheap and had to redo alot of stuff and wished I just did it right in the first place.So my qusetion is is it being a dick to tell them the stuff they bought sucks and to try agine.
Oyea Jetboat
Duh, what?
What is being cheap, cuz they use stock parts? instead of shelling out cash for the latest and greatest?

Jake W
06-10-2004, 06:37 PM
For instance I wanta go fast and I bought a glastron:D :D
Jusk kidding.
No really stuff like using car guages ,home depot carpet ,fence wire turnbuckles instead of heim joints.Just little stuff like that.
I did not mean to sound like I know every thing because I know not nearly enough.

fourspeednup
06-10-2004, 06:39 PM
I'd list the possible equipment they could use but make it clear that some items are of higher quality and will last longer
edit: oh and it's not being a dick, just helpful. Although when I give advice I try to keep it constructive and not blatantly tell them that they are morons;) Just last year I was on here asking "dumb newbie" questions and got some good info

GlastronGuy
06-10-2004, 06:50 PM
The words aren't the dick part. You are.

Cheap Thrills
06-10-2004, 06:51 PM
:rolleyes:
some people like myself enjoy the Cheap Thrill .
just because I dont have 20 grand tied up in my boat doesnt mean it wont last . hell my boat has already outlasted most of the boats on these boards being almost 40 years old .
yes you can do it cheaper , yes it will last just as long ,
and yes youre a d ick . Next Question ?
C.T. :wink:

BigBlockBaja
06-10-2004, 06:52 PM
For instance I wanta go fast and I bought a glastron:D :D
Jusk kidding.
No really stuff like using car guages ,home depot carpet ,fence wire turnbuckles instead of heim joints.Just little stuff like that.
I did not mean to sound like I know every thing because I know not nearly enough.
No, some of us are just trying to get on the water with extreamly limited budgets. So come the cheap HD carpet. Its what I can afford right now.. Fence wire turnbuckles.. same thing.. I, We just are itching to launch our projects for the first time. I know Im in the same "boat" as others here and dont mean to start a problem, but I still got a morgage to pay.

Jake W
06-10-2004, 07:09 PM
I hear you guys.
GlastronGuy I know why you think I am a dick.And I see you have changed where you are from ,intresting
Blown I know why you think I am a dick.So we are in good company.
Chep thrills I do not think I have done a thing to you so you calling me a dick is pretty dick your self.
I was just board and wanted something to discuss well hear it is.
The Glastron coment was just for Blown it goes back to another thread.
Jake;)

Cheap Thrills
06-10-2004, 07:28 PM
yes your right I am a dick and a bigger dick than you so put that in your F uckin pipe and smoke on it . you dont have to do anything to me directly for me to concider you a dick , it's your attitude towards others that show it .
C.T. fired that shot , and I'm back out !

Jake W
06-10-2004, 07:34 PM
Let the true colors fly.I think you are a great guy C.T .
Jake

AmericanThunder1
06-10-2004, 07:48 PM
My 2 cents worth is to give them your advice and let them use all the ideas to make their own idea that bests fits them and their budget. Not all cheap stuff is a bad thing like for example that guy that made his alternater braket that was homemade idea but yet worked better then the original stuff for half or less the cost and half the bullshit in finding the right stuff.
I love all the info I get from this forum so please dont loose sight of why its here.

Jake W
06-10-2004, 07:59 PM
American Thunder1 I have been posting on hear for a while and in the time learned alot to me this is the best forum to get ideas and to disreguard ideas.
There has been alot of drama in hear you have missed (good for you).
I do not think I am loosing sight just thought things I have done that wernt so good I would share with other people.and mabey direct them in a better path.
Dan or Squrtcha has been running one of thoes turn buckles for a few years and posted how he did it back then.That is where I got the idea to do mine but spent the extra 15 bucks so it could be polished alum and stronger parts.Some people take pride in what they are building.I just cant see croming out your motor and using the wire strecher.But yes it is a great idea.

AmericanThunder1
06-10-2004, 08:12 PM
Jake W, ya your right I have missed a lot. I have been on and off this forum for 3 years or so I just now started getting real serious in detail of jets. I am sure there is a lot of inside conversations that most guys like me would miss understand. I just think that sometimes a stupid idea can be turned into a great one. Most of us most likely started our project with a stupid idea and then ended up going all the way lol I did.:D

TRG
06-10-2004, 09:22 PM
jake, you are on to something! three years ago i went through my rogers and now ita all apart and finally now, im doing the things i wish i did right in the first place!
think about it!
big block baja, the carpet that you are going to use is going to be a bear to use, if you use actual marine grade carpet, it flexes and bends in ways that your carpet will not!
i think that if you weigh out the differences between the cost of the two, you will find out that the marine is the way to go!!!
as for the glue, i use a qt. pressure pot and yellow sprayable carpet adhesive, it is a DAP prod. (dont have a part # for ya) that you can find at any upholstry warehouse, this way is way clean way of laying carpet too!
wrong thread, i know but BBB knows what im talking about, thats all that matters!
todd

shaun
06-10-2004, 10:21 PM
It depends on how you say/post it i guess. I think one should share there experiences and advice in a polite way.

CARLSON-JET
06-10-2004, 10:41 PM
Jake, I resemble that glastron remark :wink: IMO if it's carpet whatever, nobody died from cheap carpet. ( and I used excactly what BBBaha is using) when it comes to important issues that really have to do with fire, injury to self or others, sinking or loss of control I think good judgement should be used . pointing out dangers to beginners is a must do situation and really somewhat of a responsibility if one is going to post on any given subject. I'm such a cheep b@$terd even if I was a billionaire I probably would scrimp on what I could. good money after bad is really never well spent but there is what I call an enjoyment per dollar factor involved. I myself am typically more impressed with hands on then open wallet .. just my taiste though (aka lowbuck jetster) R.B.

LVjetboy
06-11-2004, 03:27 AM
Jake, to your original question, I'd say no, just post your thoughts. Many of us have done the cheap thing. My first jet cost me $4,500 complete...running...with trailer. And I had a very limited budget for upgrades.
Some who post answers (if they're thoughtful) tailor to the questioner. Some don't. It's up to those who post to consider the audience and those who question to consider the answers...then pick and choose. Either way, I say just post away. Not everyone reading the thread has the exact same experience or questions for that matter. And the more feedback the better.
jer

Blown 472
06-11-2004, 06:26 AM
I hear you guys.
GlastronGuy I know why you think I am a dick.And I see you have changed where you are from ,intresting
Blown I know why you think I am a dick.So we are in good company.
Chep thrills I do not think I have done a thing to you so you calling me a dick is pretty dick your self.
I was just board and wanted something to discuss well hear it is.
The Glastron coment was just for Blown it goes back to another thread.
Jake;)
Hummmmm if I want to go fast I can go out to my garage and get my blown car, that was built on the cheap and hound on that ****er all day long, boat wise, never said the glastron was fast, I had a extra blower and carbs so I put it on my boat for shits and grins, now it is off and a single four is going on.
When I build a fast boat it will be a blown v drive. Which I am sure will be way over your head.:D

Squirtcha?
06-11-2004, 06:42 AM
Hey Jake
That turnbuckle has been on my boat for 5 years now and still works.
You can't even see it when the back seat's in so it doesn't matter if it's shiny or not.
All the pics I've put up were with the back seat removed.

victorfb
06-11-2004, 09:13 AM
one of the most common misunderstandings i hear is the word "cheap". so many confuse it with "inexpensive". alot of home builders like to be able to go to a local retailer and purchase "inexpensive" items for thier projects. (ie, turnbuckles) this does not mean its a cheap product. i will agree that it may not have the "bling" factor that you will get from a product purchased from a speed shop, but in many cases the inexpensive part works just as good if not better. some products sold in retailers have a much higher quality control, and have to pass UL testing. race products do not. is it "cheap" to plumb your boat useing fittings from home depot intead of going to goodridge, earls, russel? hell no, but it is less expensive. you just dont get the bling factor. and in some cases the brass will outlast aluminum. (even anodized). so to answer your question, id say NO your not being a d*ck when giving advise to use less expensive products, as long as your not comprimising safety.
on a side note: i agree with Toddnjuzz. use the yellow glue. it can be sprayed (if you have the presure pot) or brushed on with inexpensive brushes from home depot. or you can get some real expensive brushes from a paint supply house and leave them on the deck of the boat after your finished so everyone can see you spent alot of money on it.:p

signmaster
06-11-2004, 10:44 AM
hers my input were do you guys think jet boat parts came from ? guess what,they all came from someone in there garage ,for instance the pumps were not designed for jet boats they were adapted to fit !!!!!.we wouldnt have hot rod boats or cars for that matter if it wasnt for the guy out in his garage making his own part . all these boat companys didnt just decide one day ,lets make a hundred mile an hour boat ,it took a lot of backyard mechanics and about 30+ years to get there.!!!!! ,jet boats are nothing but cobble jobs ,thats why I love them its all about individual ideas and designs.

kachina_labala
06-11-2004, 01:16 PM
Voicing an opinion, having your own ideas on things or even telling someone “from my experience that part sucks” isn’t being a dick. Belittling someone for not knowing or for not matching your opinion …that’s a dick. Is it nessesary to cut someone else's boat, kids or other things to make yourself feel better?...Um no. But if your trying to save someone a few bucks in the long run or keeping them from getting hurt by all means voice that opinion. I believe in doing things right the first time (to the best of my ability or budget) It is the best practice for anyone. If the previous owner of my boat followed this practice I would be thousands of dollars better off. Polished, chrome, anodized doesn’t make anything faster or stronger. Last longer and look better, yes. We are the hot rodders of the boating world. Innovation is a key part of what we do. Sharing our thoughts and getting opinions on them helps the development process. I value everyone’s opinion in the forum. It seems that everyone is here to help. Read the newby posts and the answers they get. A lot of the time the first people to answer them is our most controversial members with good advice. I think one of the first people to answer my newby post was jer and two of the people who answered my last post were jake and chet all with good solid advice. Thank you to all that have posted.
After all is said and posted the final decision is your own and you only will have yourself to blame for the results of your actions. Read wisely and form your own opinions as to who is a dick and who is worth listening to. The sun even shines on a dog’s ass once in awhile.
Matthew

MAXIMUS
06-11-2004, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by Blown 472
Hummmmm if I want to go fast I can go out to my garage and get my blown car, that was built on the cheap and hound on that ****er all day long, boat wise, never said the glastron was fast, I had a extra blower and carbs so I put it on my boat for shits and grins, now it is off and a single four is going on.
When I build a fast boat it will be a blown v drive. Which I am sure will be way over your head.:D
Why are you so angry??? The lord can shed light on your pain! Give into the lord & sell your soul!!!!:devil: :devil:
P.S. Going blown in a v-drive is kinda like puttin on a dress. A man would do it in a jet!:p

Jake W
06-11-2004, 05:01 PM
Blown I am sure your Blown Vdrive will be way over my head and thats ok with me.I was just razzing you back for the latest and greatest comment.
Dan I knew it would look bad when you read this post and you read about the turn buckle.I was not putting your Idea down at all in fact I said this is where I got the idea for mine.Dan you are one of the guys on hear that gives good info and is never a jack ass.You seem like a really good guy.I was just giving you guys another way to make them that could be polished and made two inches to two feet.And prefered buy me over the other.
The answers I gave blown were the ones I have posted on in the last few days and that is why I ased them as for instances.
And I do not think I told any one that their idea sucked or thay were stupid.
Any way thanks for the responces.

BigBlockBaja
06-11-2004, 05:11 PM
WOW!!! look what I started! I was just asking about laying some carpet.. In the boat that is... My girl is happy with the way I treat her carpet. Hehe :cool: :cool:

TopCat
06-11-2004, 06:05 PM
wtf i hear this all the time ....example: i've had my boat 5 years now i'm having to re-do whatever i wish i'd done it rite the first time WEL HELL YA thats a no brainer but if that got you on the lake having fun 2yrs sooner then get your head out of your ass thats the trade off ...the bigger question is would you give those 2yrs of fun back to go alittle faster or be alittle prettier now HELL NO! cheap mite be bad but low cost isn't if you put in as many hours aweek working for the american dream as i do then any fun can be worth its w8 in gold who cares what f...ing carpet or what i hav chomed its about living for chist sakes what this is about is asking what if or this is what worked for me not the god dam name calling, charter assassination bull shit that go on lets just get back to boating HUH

Blown 472
06-11-2004, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by MAXIMUS
Why are you so angry??? The lord can shed light on your pain! Give into the lord & sell your soul!!!!:devil: :devil:
Not angry? maybe I need to use more smilie thingies???
P.S. Going blown in a v-drive is kinda like puttin on a dress. A man would do it in a jet!:p
Huh???:confused:

Blown 472
06-11-2004, 06:23 PM
Blown I am sure your Blown Vdrive will be way over my head and thats ok with me.I was just razzing you back for the latest and greatest comment.
Dan I knew it would look bad when you read this post and you read about the turn buckle.I was not putting your Idea down at all in fact I said this is where I got the idea for mine.Dan you are one of the guys on hear that gives good info and is never a jack ass.You seem like a really good guy.I was just giving you guys another way to make them that could be polished and made two inches to two feet.And prefered buy me over the other.
The answers I gave blown were the ones I have posted on in the last few days and that is why I ased them as for instances.
And I do not think I told any one that their idea sucked or thay were stupid.
Any way thanks for the responces.
Thats cool, just giving it back to ya.:D :D :D
And maxi? wtf? you been hanging around paul b. way too much.:p :p :p

TopCat
06-11-2004, 06:24 PM
i guess you are probably right effects of a killer day will be my excuse Sorry! really!

kachina_labala
06-11-2004, 08:26 PM
Jake, Please dont misinterpit my post. It was not directed at you. It was intended as a general statement. Im not here to cause drama or pick fights. Im here to listen and learn. Maybe I should stick to that.
Matthew

LVjetboy
06-12-2004, 12:55 AM
Not sure, but did I just get compared to a dog's ass? No wait, that must've been Chet...
:D
jer

Ken F
06-12-2004, 05:34 AM
Come on Jake, just admit it.
You know deep down you are just a D!ck
(lol)
Ken F

Jake W
06-12-2004, 03:00 PM
You called it Ken.;)

BigBlockBaja
06-13-2004, 06:55 PM
You just wait Jake till I sober up and post pics of my Lowes carpeting job.. I think you will be impressed. :cool:

Squirtcha?
06-14-2004, 08:27 AM
No sweat Jake. I aint gonna get all butthurt over a little thing like free exchange of ideas/opinions. I agree that the piece you chose to use is a much better looking deal aesthetically and doesn't really cost that much more. It's probably sturdier too. At some point in time, I may even buy one myself.............It's just not real high on my list of priorities right now.