PDA

View Full Version : New Rex Marine Silencers?

rivercrazy
06-11-2004, 09:01 AM
Are they out yet? Any loss in performance on a 496HO? DB reduction? Do they have internal flapper? Cost?

dicudmore
06-11-2004, 09:07 AM
I guess I'd be interested in that too.....
F'ing noise cops :(

Quality Time
06-11-2004, 11:22 PM
FYI if you are 28 and over and have an auto halon or similar system in the motor compartment, you only need one.

Rexone
06-12-2004, 10:54 AM
Are they out yet? No
Any loss in performance on a 496HO? None, tested to 800 HP engines
DB reduction? You should be well under 88, we've seen results clear down to 84. 88 on blown applications at J2005 test standards.
Do they have internal flapper? Yes they include the Superflapper although they probably don't need it. We're installing them to get around any warranty issue not doing it might create.
Cost? Undetermined but should come in significantly less than other silencers currently available in this category.
When (I know that's your next post).
Tip replacement version - hopefully in 2-3 weeks, they are getting close with only a couple components remaining unfinished before final assembly and polishing.
Clamp-on 4 1/2 version - will be longer (undetermined time) - encountered setback in clamp design manufacture, will likely be a couple months still on this model. The silencer portion is the same as above but the clamping configuration makes this model very much different and to manufacture.
:)

rivercrazy
06-12-2004, 01:09 PM
Hey RD. Haven't been stopped. To be honest, my boat isn't really that loud with the tips below the swim step (496HO). But up on plane its relatively loud. I'm really not that worried about getting rolled. But since I don't plan any performance upgrades to the motor, I figure its good to be a little quieter. The rear bench is louder than the passenger seats and a long cruise at certain RPM's will fatigue the ears after a while. The added bonus is hearing the stereo even better while up and running.
REX - PM me when the tips become available. I'm interested in a pair depending on cost. I would be happy to give honest feedback on the boards for this new product. Looking for a pair of the replacement tip silencers (one of my existing tips blew a flapper) :D :D

Rexone
06-13-2004, 12:00 AM
RC if that tip is one of ours we will repair it (upgrade the pair) for free for you. At least that way you could sell the tips when you change over. I'll post when the silencers are ready.

rivercrazy
06-13-2004, 08:15 PM
They are the older style Rex tip. Your were great enough to offer that to me. I appreciate it and will take you up on it.

DogHouse
06-14-2004, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by Rexone
Clamp-on 4 1/2 version - will be longer (undetermined time) -
Waiting (im)patiently on these bad boyz... ;)
Boat runs noticeably better without my current silencers but kills the ears. Full time quiet and no performance loss would be great! Also glad to hear that your prices will be more reasonable than the competition.
:cool:

beer hunter
07-01-2004, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by rivercrazy
To be honest, my boat isn't really that loud with the tips below the swim step (496HO). But up on plane its relatively loud. :D :D
RC, do you have the lowered swim step with the "S" pipes? I don't and it's quite loud at idle, probably in the 92 or 93+db range. :)

THOR
07-01-2004, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by beer hunter
RC, do you have the lowered swim step with the "S" pipes? I don't and it's quite loud at idle, probably in the 92 or 93+db range. :)
From experience, yours is at least that loud BH.

dicudmore
07-01-2004, 07:35 AM
I second that....
mine was popped for 92.8 and BeerHunter's sounds every bit as beautiful, uh I mean loud :D

Havasu_Dreamin
07-01-2004, 07:36 AM
Ours is over 100 on the meter.

rivercrazy
07-01-2004, 08:36 AM
Hey Bro. Yea I have the lowered exhaust / swimstep using the "S" pipes. It makes it pretty quiet at idle and its easy to get into the boat from the water! :D

RiverToysJas
07-01-2004, 09:49 AM
Are there newer internal flappers that don't rattle? How do I know if I have Rex tips?
RTJas :D

Essex502
07-01-2004, 11:16 AM
Dude...if you ever come back to the lake we'll thow the meter on ya' to see for sure...If your exhaust exits above the water line and there's not a muffler/silencer in line already you are over the CA limit. We are all over the limit on the driveby test either way!

beer hunter
07-01-2004, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Essex502
Dude...if you ever come back to the lake we'll thow the meter on ya' to see for sure...If your exhaust exits above the water line and there's not a muffler/silencer in line already you are over the CA limit. We are all over the limit on the driveby test either way!
Sounds good Mike.:D I know I wouldn't have a chance in Hell of passing the current noise db limit right now. :( I will wait until someone has a silencer system that can guarantee I will come in under the 88db limit before shelling out the money.
It sounds like Rex has what I need. :)

Rexone
07-01-2004, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by RiverToysJas
Are there newer internal flappers that don't rattle? How do I know if I have Rex tips?
Jason if your tips are Rex tips they will have the Rex Logo etched into the area the hose connects to. If you have them and they are the old no-burn design that rattles we will upgrade them for you.
Heres the latest on the silencer progress. (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=51158)

Essex502
07-01-2004, 02:11 PM
Sounds good Mike.:D I know I wouldn't have a chance in Hell of passing the current noise db limit right now. :( I will wait until someone has a silencer system that can guarantee I will come in under the 88db limit before shelling out the money.
It sounds like Rex has what I need. :)
The biggest issue, from what I've tested lately, is the drive by test...it's tougher than the idle because it can be done at any speed. Idle by - you pass...WOT - you fail.

Rexone
07-01-2004, 02:38 PM
From what I have gathered from those who have done much more testing on this stuff than myself is that the J2005 idle test at 39" is "much" tougher than a WOT drive by and any distance that's safe to drive by at.
I know from the extensive J2005 testing we've done even a 6-12" distance change means 2-3 dBA difference in some cases. It is a very sensitive test.

RiverToysJas
07-01-2004, 04:25 PM
Jason if your tips are Rex tips they will have the Rex Logo etched into the area the hose connects to. If you have them and they are the old no-burn design that rattles we will upgrade them for you.
Heres the latest on the silencer progress. (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=51158)
Thanks Mike, next I'm out I'll check and see.
Thanks, RTJas :D

77charger
07-01-2004, 05:03 PM
sounds like i need some of these tips to quiet down my boat.do come for thru hub exhaust?:D :D j/k

RiverToysJas
07-01-2004, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by 77charger
sounds like i need some of these tips to quiet down my boat.do come for thru hub exhaust?:D :D j/k
Yeah, your boat needs to be quieter! :rolleyes: Like I don't ask enough, "Is your boat running?" :D

Essex502
07-02-2004, 06:50 AM
From what I have gathered from those who have done much more testing on this stuff than myself is that the J2005 idle test at 39" is "much" tougher than a WOT drive by and any distance that's safe to drive by at.
I know from the extensive J2005 testing we've done even a 6-12" distance change means 2-3 dBA difference in some cases. It is a very sensitive test.
Mike - I disagree with the toughness...I had my meter with me on a tow back from the Sandbar a month ago and measured some really high numbers from the boats passing us going north as we were towed going south.
Our boat, for example "blew" 86 dB-A with the stock through transom exhaust on a 502 MAG without ANY silencers/mufflers. That's because the exhaust is under the swimstep - which means the exhaust is underwater at idle. When on plane and WOT the exhaust to completely exposed and quite loud. The driveby tests are either 50' or 75' at any throttle opening. This means that - if desired - LE can set up a monitor on shore and measure any boat passing at whatever speed it happens to pass. If you are over the limit it doesn't matter how many feet beyond the 50' or 75' you are. Some of the limits are as low as 75 dB-A which is somewhere between a car passing by you @ 15' and a vacuum cleaner. This isn't very loud. The J1970 Shoreline test is still in use in many states.

Rexone
07-02-2004, 04:38 PM
I would have to agree with your findings in that scenario. But you're not comparing and apple to an apple.
Comparing an underwater outlet unsilenced or not, to an unsilenced WOT is not a valid test for the purpose of either of the J2005 or J1970 tests using silencers.
All of our J2005 testing was done "not underwater" which would have been infinately quieter. My guess if we'd put our silencers under the swimstep and even partially under the water line we have tested in the mid to high 70's. We didn't do that because it doesn't represent the real world on most boats. Boats that happen to have that setup like yours will just benefit that much more.
Your test is something like doing a J2005 dock test with silencers on, (being underwater), then taking the silencers off and doing a J1970 test.
Regarding your statement... "When on plane and WOT the exhaust to completely exposed and quite loud". I'm sure it was as you have no silencers on.
I don't even see the point in that scenario as you're not going to be removing the silencers. The true silenced J2005 vs the silenced J1970 is what you should be looking for.
Also measuring some boats passing by having no knowledge of exhaust or silenced or not tells you nothing we don't already know. That being that most boats are presently way too loud to pass. That's what has prompted all these new test procedures.
Put "good" silencers on your boat and do both tests scientifically and properly to specifications and my opinion is your results will be quite different from your present train of thought.
The curve ball in all of this eventually is how and "how properly" LE will enforce and apply the new tests. If their meter is "off" or they are not "properly trained" in applying the new tests, results can vary dramatically. As I've mentioned elsewhere, on the dock test, moving the meter from the designated 39" distance from the transom even a few inches makes a dramatic difference in dBA readings. So if they measure it too close buy even 3-6" you're going to get a bogus high reading according to J2005 specs. If they measure it too low vertically results will vary too. So all we can do is make our best attempt to build a product that has as much margin for error as possible built into its silencing capabilities. There will always be the possibility for LE somewhere to misapply the test and get false readings due to improper procedure or inaccurate meters. The meters are sensitive and so are the test specs on J2005.
I hope this clarifys a little.

Essex502
07-06-2004, 08:30 AM
Mike....the point I'm making in the driveby tests is that the legal sound level (sometimes as low as 75 dB-A) is so low that I believe (my belief only) it will be more difficult to suppress the noise. I'm not saying it can't be done...just that the informal tests I've conducted show the noise level quite a bit higher than expected.

beer hunter
07-13-2004, 10:39 AM
Any new info yet Rex? :)

phebus
08-04-2004, 06:59 AM
Any updates?

don johnson
08-04-2004, 08:02 AM
Mike, will your new product work on 1000 HP big cubic inch Supercharged motors?
I am very interested in finding a way to muffle the boat, maintain horespower and not hurt a motor. As you know devices like the Teague muffler must be switched off when the motor comes into boost or the backpressure created will lift a head.
I currently have Teague switchable mufflers that are not cutting it, still too loud according to LE. Got pulled over last month with the mufflers on... The boat was at 92 db at idle with the mufflers on. I have Imco Powerflow Plus's on the engines. I boat in Parker and Havasu, LE is really coming down in Parker on noise, understandably so, and i need a product that will get me in conformance....

Rexone
08-05-2004, 01:48 AM
Don I have not tested anything yet with that much HP so I cannot give you an accurate answer. We've tested a couple blown deals one around 800 and one around 900 without problems. No reduced speed or RPM, no increased boost. I want to still do more testing in the upper HP ranges before I tell you they will work in all cases though without losing power.
I'm very confident we have the lower power ranges covered and have tested several boats now successfully, 454,s 502.s 496, etc and one 525SC. We're testing a 525 efi this coming week. The high HP stuff we've tested all had blowers so I want to see how the efi big engines perform before I make any claims on them. Also different cam profiles can have big effects on noise level. Large aggressive Hyd rollers for example can be much noisier than stock type milder type cams. We have not tested enough big cammed motors to determine exact noise levels yet on them. I'm confident they will get close to 88 if not achieve it but I just don't know on the big radical cam engines yet.
J2005 spec numbers we've seen on 454's - 496HO's are in the 84.5 to 87 range. The blown deals we tested were right at 88. All without any power loss. Keep in mind this is a tough test... 39" off the transom, 4-5 ft above the water line. A foot variance here can make as much as 2 dBA difference in the reading so a test at 4 foot off the transom for example may give you a false low, based on J2005. It's that sensitive.
Anyway I'm hoping to start shipping sets by the end of next week. Just PM me if interested so I can get you on the list. Our initial run of 70 sets is getting chewed up pretty good (spoken for) and the next 100 are 4-5 weeks away.
The dimensions are 6" od (outside the boat) x 8" long (outside the boat) x 4" hose (hole size). This first model is for "tip replacement" type full time silencers, NOT clamp-on's.
I will try to get some pics in here as soon as the image center works again.
I'm going to be out for a couple days, please bear with me on returning your PM's.

beer hunter
08-05-2004, 03:42 AM
I will try to get some pics in here as soon as the image center works again.
Here you go Mike :cool:
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4687
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4688&stc=1

don johnson
08-05-2004, 06:25 AM
What about weld on style for those of us with 1 piece tailpipes coming thru the transom?

RiverDave
08-05-2004, 10:39 AM
That's a good looking set of silencers Rex One!! :) I like the soft rounded look.
RD

superdave013
08-05-2004, 11:37 AM
Mike, did you get these puppys off of a Honda car? lol
J/K but they do kinda look like those oil cans you see on the turner guys cars though.

Ducatista
08-05-2004, 12:01 PM
Those are beautiful........good luck keeping them in stock! :)

LHC30Victory
08-05-2004, 12:02 PM
Thanks Rexone for all the work on these beauties! Since I have twins, how does the sound measure out? If one 496 HO (silenced) is about 87, does that mean TWO of them are still at 87 or will they be louder? What to do if it is louder?
I understand that there is NO provision in the new standards (or the old ones for that matter) for twin motor applications.
Am I F**KED or what?

Rexone
08-05-2004, 01:28 PM
That's a good looking set of silencers Rex One!! :) I like the soft rounded look.
RD
Somehow I knew you would. :)

Rexone
08-05-2004, 01:29 PM
Mike, did you get these puppys off of a Honda car? lol
J/K but they do kinda look like those oil cans you see on the turner guys cars though.
JC Whitney bro, JC Whitney. :wink:

don johnson
08-05-2004, 01:38 PM
That a great question.... What about twins. How does the law apply to twins. I have to believe that 2 engines producing 86 db each when running collectively will produce more then 86 db, right?

Dave C
08-06-2004, 08:55 AM
sweet!
I gonna need a set ;)
REX, did you test any boats with exhaust partially below or at the water line? I.e. under the swim step?
thanks

Rexone
08-19-2004, 02:54 AM
We are now shipping silencers. I will try to PM everyone that has inquired but in case I somehow miss you.... just give Bob a call to order or discuss for your application.
909-392-7300
Thanks
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4687

NashvilleBound
08-19-2004, 04:07 AM
We are now shipping silencers. I will try to PM everyone that has inquired but in case I somehow miss you.... just give Bob a call to order or discuss for your application.
[/IMG]
Did I hear someone say "silencers for sale?" Ooops...wrong thread.......... back to Soldiers of Fortune....

SHOCKWAVETOM
08-30-2004, 12:29 PM
Bob is checking for me right now to see if these will work on my Shockwave Tremor. He is concerned about the space requirements. If these will fit I am going to go ahead and order them. No need to be pulled over :(.
I will let you SW owners know what the scoop is when he calls back.

VD CRUISER
08-30-2004, 05:42 PM
Rexone, Is the inside dia. of the silencers the same as the ID. of a regualr 4" tip? Also where is the flapper located?

Rexone
08-30-2004, 05:56 PM
Rexone, Is the inside dia. of the silencers the same as the ID. of a regualr 4" tip? Also where is the flapper located?
Yes and
Right where the hose attaches. You can see the Superflapper™ bushing in the picture.

VD CRUISER
08-30-2004, 06:46 PM
Rexone, Is the flapper part of the sound dampening, and can it be removed relatively easy, for less restriction?

Rexone
08-30-2004, 07:58 PM
It is a minor contributor to sound dampening, almost negligable.
It can be removed but I advise against doing so from a water surge standpoint. Our testing showed if causes no adverse affects from restriction. We have multiple tests over 700 hp without speed or rpm loss of any kind with the SuperFlapper™ in use. When WOT the flapper is pretty much wide open anyway.

VD CRUISER
08-31-2004, 06:15 PM
Thanks Mike :)

dr. margarita
09-01-2004, 03:20 PM
Got a set shipped to me yesterday..Can't wait to install them. The beefier look at the transom is cool!

phebus
09-01-2004, 07:05 PM
For those that can not go with the 8" long tips (me, my swim aqua step would not work) what options are there?

dr. margarita
09-01-2004, 07:29 PM
For those that can not go with the 8" long tips (me, my swim aqua step would not work) what options are there?
Cant' you move the Aquastep off to the side of the swim step??

phebus
09-01-2004, 08:15 PM
No, swim step is right above where the exhaust tip exits. Would be the same either port or starboard.

rivercrazy
09-02-2004, 08:29 AM
Bob is checking for me right now to see if these will work on my Shockwave Tremor. He is concerned about the space requirements. If these will fit I am going to go ahead and order them. No need to be pulled over :(.
I will let you SW owners know what the scoop is when he calls back.
Hey Tom. I don't remember where your swimstep / tips are located but on mine I have the lowered exhaust with the lower swim step ("S" pipes). I bought a pair of these Rex units and they will easily fit on mine. But I haven't installed them just yet

Havasu_Dreamin
01-14-2005, 09:02 AM
Got mine installed today....I hope I pass without any doubts. Is there a chance my 496HO will not pass? My exhaust is above the waterline....
We've got the 525 and we are legal per the new CA law with an integrated swimstep and exhaust above the waterline. As such, I would think you will pass as well.