PDA

View Full Version : Engine mounts wont fit w/ new oil pan

riverbound
06-12-2004, 07:13 AM
I have a 1976 spectra 18 w/ a berk E pump. It is a 3 point mount. I am adding a 10qt oil pan to my 460 and the existing engine mounts will not work with the pan. There is a bar that runs under neath the motor that connects the two mounts. Can I cut that bar? or do I have to buy new mounts? What has everybody else done when going to a larger oil pan? I pick up my motor next week and need to have the new mounts by then.

Blown 472
06-12-2004, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by riverbound
I have a 1976 spectra 18 w/ a berk E pump. It is a 3 point mount. I am adding a 10qt oil pan to my 460 and the existing engine mounts will not work with the pan. There is a bar that runs under neath the motor that connects the two mounts. Can I cut that bar? or do I have to buy new mounts? What has everybody else done when going to a larger oil pan? I pick up my motor next week and need to have the new mounts by then.
My boat had the same set up and before I got it someone cut the bar out of it, never had a problem with the set up this way.

Taylorman
06-12-2004, 08:10 AM
Use an 8qt pan thats made for 3 point mounts. I removed that strap that connects to the two motor mounts once and the whole motor dropped. I would get an 8 qt pan instead. Thats plenty big. If you take out that strap, it will put alot of stress on the stringers. Good luck.

Ken F
06-12-2004, 08:49 AM
Yep, don't cut the strap. It's there for a reason. Why don't you just go with a 460 truck pan? They are rear sump and 7 qts.
The only alternative if you want to use the 8 qt. pan is to go with 4 pt. mounts.
Ken F

riverbound
06-12-2004, 10:36 AM
I have seen numerous boats with the same pan and 3 point mount missing the cross bar I was just wondering if their was a special type of motor mount available.

Blown 472
06-12-2004, 11:22 AM
Chances are you have stock ford motor mounts in it the rubber and steel ones, if you look at them there is a locating pin in the mount that mates into where the engine sits in the boat, this keeps the engine from sliding down, if the pan is resting on the cross bar what good are the motor mounts?

MudPumper
06-12-2004, 04:40 PM
If I'm understanding you correctly, you have a motor mount that uses the holes in the middle of the block that would be used if the motor was mounted in a car. One easy fix would be to put a front mount on it like the ones rex has here.
Motor Mounts (http://www.rexmar.com/page308.html)
PN:390 155

riverbound
06-12-2004, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by Blown 472
Chances are you have stock ford motor mounts in it the rubber and steel ones, if you look at them there is a locating pin in the mount that mates into where the engine sits in the boat, this keeps the engine from sliding down, if the pan is resting on the cross bar what good are the motor mounts?
Those are the ones I have and there is a pin that goes into the block. Am i going to be okay? The bar is a small piece of angle iron.