PDA

View Full Version : Locating studs

MudPumper
06-12-2004, 05:32 PM
On the back of my BBC, there are two locating studs to line up a bellhousing, they look to be a pressed in stud, does anybody know If these can be knocked out. Otherwise I have to drill a couple of holes in my new motor mount, and I don't have a bit that big.

gunslinger
06-12-2004, 06:45 PM
Yes they can be removed but im not sure you should remove them or not. My hondo had them in place with the motor plate drilled. Let me check the cp.

gunslinger
06-12-2004, 06:51 PM
The plate on the cp is drilled, but the pins are missing. The pins were used for proper bellhousing location on automobiles. I can not think of any reason they need to be there on a jet boat.

Cs19
06-12-2004, 07:25 PM
Those are alignment pins,your better off keeping them if you can.
One thing you can do is find someone who has an extra set of pins and sharpen them to a point so you can transfer the holes into your motor plate and then drill them on a drill press. Hope that makes sence.
That drill should be a common size, depot or lowe's should have it.

flat broke
06-12-2004, 08:52 PM
As Chris said, better to leave them on. There is a good chance that the bolt holes in your plate are slightly bigger than the bolts which means you could in theory tighten down the plate slightly off from its intended position. Take a set of calipers to the dowel pins, then go to home depot/lowes/sears and get a reduced shank bit that is the correct size.
Since it sounds like you might be stepping up to a rail kit in light of your breakage the other weekend, make sure you are paying attention to your driveline angles and that you are NOT pushing the driveline all the way back on the input shaft on the pump. Doing so will leave 0 room for the shaft to move foward when the impeller loads, and you could potentially apply additional load to the crank and thrust bearing.
Bottom line, if you're doing a new setup, don't be affraid to ask. Lots of us have gone through the process and would be more than happy to help with any little gotchas that could end up costing you later.
Chris

MudPumper
06-12-2004, 10:46 PM
Thanks for the replys fellas. I left the pins in and ran down to the Depot and bought a 5/8 bit for the holes. I used my old bellhousing as a jig to mark the new holes and drilled it in the press. Worked out perfectly.
FlatBroke, thanks for the heads up on the angles and clearance. I already got it all worked out. Dan from Canyon Marine built the rail kit for me and used a bare block for mock up and set all the angles correctly. His block didn't have the locater pins so when he cut the rear plate there were no holes.
I got it all test fitted with my motor and it goes out for powder coat on Monday. I'm going to post a bunch of pics of all the work when it's done.
Stay tuned!!! :D