PDA

View Full Version : Motor issues....any ideas?

BigBoyToys
06-13-2004, 04:14 AM
Well, we took the Jet Boat out yesterday to do a bit more testing with the new motor, but we had oil blowing all over the place and a bad miss in the engine. I checked all the plugs and they look good. This is a Full Roller 468 ci BBC. We had it out for the first time 2 weeks ago and it ran great until it started blowing oil out of the valve cover breathers. Since then, I have installed a Pan evac system. But, yesterday, it was still blowing everywhere...like there is a ton of pressure in the oil pan. It was blowing out of my distributor, dipstick (Tube wouldn't stay in...kept blowing out), blew both valve cover gaskets, etc. I even unhooked the new evac system only to find LOTSA smoke coming out of the breathers at idle, mostly on the passenger side but also on the driver side.
I'm thinking maybe a blown head gasket or intake gasket and somehow some compression is heading down to the oil pan pressurizing it. I am gonna try and repair the engine today but don't know where to start. Anyone have any ideas?

BigBoyToys
06-13-2004, 04:19 AM
In addition, although it didn't really blow oil out at idle (when it would idle that is), it still had the miss. But as soon as I hit the gas pedal and got near 2k RPMS, it would just start blowing oil everywhere. Definitely something up here.......
If I can find the problem right away and fix it, that would be great. Otherwise, I'm gonna have to pull the motor and go back to my other motor (476ci BBC) but I was hoping to be able to use that motor for my Mrs Daycruiser. Any help is appreciated;)

mickeyfinn
06-13-2004, 05:00 AM
I'd start with the basics, compression test first. If it is head gaskets or a bad ring should show up there. At least it is a quick and cheap test and the motor can stay where it is supposed to be.

Lookin for Liquid
06-13-2004, 06:32 AM
Whay he said^. If you have access to a leak down setup, it might help pinpoint the leak as you can hear where it is leaking vs listening to the starter motor.

BigBoyToys
06-13-2004, 06:43 AM
Thanks for the replys. I do have a compression tester and I'll run the check today. I don't have a leakdown tester though, but something tells me that the compression test is gonna say alot.

wsuwrhr
06-13-2004, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by BigBoyToys
something tells me that the compression test is gonna say alot.
Word.
One or two dead holes I'm sure.
Brian

AZKC
06-13-2004, 11:18 AM
That sucks BBT, some air to pressure test the cylinders may tell ya something as far as leak down goes:frown:

BigBoyToys
06-13-2004, 07:05 PM
Well, you guys were right on;) #2 and #7 has 0 compression, all the others have 170. Looks like I'll be spending next weekend installing a different motor in the boat:( Such is life:)

CrdStang
06-14-2004, 02:20 AM
Tear it down and give us a post-mortum report!
Thats an awful lot of blow-by..I'm thinkin you got some swiss-cheese pistons.