PDA

View Full Version : NASCAR & the yellow flags

burtandnancy
06-13-2004, 03:17 PM
I don't usually vent here about other sports, but its finally gotten to me. NASCAR set a record today for yellow flag laps (I thot last week was bad). They threw the yellow when Tony spun, touched no one and kept running; they threw a yellow when PJ cut a tire and smoked to the pits, both with no one else getting touched and no debris on the track. A few weeks ago, they threw a yellow for a piece of plastic on the track. These yellows aren't just for a few laps, they go on and on. Todays screw-ups would have been a lot worse if Jimmy Johnson hadn't won (under the yellow). I'd like to see NASCAR go back to the rule where they raced to the yellow, especially on tracks of a mile or more, and I'd like to see them red flag any race where they have an accident with 10 laps to go. Yes, I understand the consequences if someone oils down the track, we saw what happened to Kasey last week.
Oh well, now I can relax and watch the LAKERS...

canuck1
06-13-2004, 03:21 PM
NASCAR sucks.
You want to see good racing? go to your local short track

Kilrtoy
06-13-2004, 03:36 PM
This is LOS ANGELES
We havent seen a short track since Saugus speedway.....
Oh wait we have Irwindale

manuel
06-13-2004, 03:42 PM
I was watching the 24 hours of Le Mans this morning and they had a complete door window glass with metal framework fall out of a car and was laying right in the middle of the track, a track worker ran out with his yellow flag in hand, grabbed it and ran, had to do it twice to get it all, and the cars were hitting 230 MPH on the straights, I'm done with NASCAR, too many restrictions and politics, not enough racing, I agree about the short tracks, racing the way it was, especially when the outlaw sprints come to town,

Boatcop
06-13-2004, 04:03 PM
I grew up going to, and later pitting for a team out of Redondo at such SOCAL tracks as Ascot and Corona.
I love NASCAR, but miss the short track days. Recently there were 3 different tracks within 50 miles of Parker. Havasu, Mohave Valley and Blythe all had short dirt or asphalt tracks. Now, I think, only Mohave still runs.
Still, I'm pretty sure NASCAR would be a whole lot more exciting if they ran on a Figure-8 track now and then.

Sleek-Jet
06-13-2004, 05:31 PM
World Of Outlaw. :D
Or drag racing, I've got a short attention span.
NASCAR is over rated

LASERRAY
06-13-2004, 05:42 PM
Hey Burt, thanks for posting this thread. I had similar intentions this afternoon after watching the race. WAY TOO MANY CAUTION LAPS!!!!! They're losing real fans by the trailerload because of it, but gaining rookie fans every week. NASCAR is the most inconsistent organization in professional sports. ( I blame the inbreeding :D ).
I've said it before on here and I'll say it again. NASCAR has it's head up it's ass! :yuk:
P.S. I can't wait for next week's race. :D

PICKLEtheLOAD
06-13-2004, 06:16 PM
We just went to EL CAJON shortie (3/8 mile) last night for the first time. It was a TOTAL blast and highly recommended for good times (price is right too!) They even had a smash em up derby. Anyone here on the boards run out there? Just curious.

DaveA
06-13-2004, 09:05 PM
So, whaddya think of the new NASCAR points system?

CrazyHippy
06-13-2004, 09:39 PM
There's a 1/5 mile dirt track in Ventura... Usually a pretty good show too.
BJH

BILLY.B
06-14-2004, 05:27 AM
Originally posted by burtandnancy
Oh well, now I can relax and watch the LAKERS... Thats a waste of **cking time. I'm a huge Lakers fan but there about as boring as those damn yellow flags. Dare I say that the Clippers would be making a better showing then these STAND AROUND/ NO DRIVE TO THE BASKET/ NO REBOUNDING/ NO FREE THROWING/ "OVER PRICED" (except SHAQ) PLAYERS. There pathetic...:mad:

DryHeatOnly
06-14-2004, 09:44 PM
Burt - I couldn't agree more. I always try to TIVO the race for that reason. 50-something out of 200 laps under yellow was a joke.
Those late yellows took away any fuel mileage 'drama' which could have affected the finishing order. That there tells you how exciting the racing is :rolleyes:

HighRoller
06-15-2004, 04:31 AM
Burt, the debris caution is the oldest trick in NASCAR's playbook. They use that beauty to even things up because nowadays in CashCar if you've run more than 2 laps(even under caution) on your current set of tires it's time to come in, get tires, fuel, clean the windshield, make a track bar adjustment, add some wedge, take out a spring rubber, have a sandwich and a beer and go back out. The racing is so bad these days that the only way to bunch the cars back up is to throw a caution. I flipped by the soft drink 600 the other night and laughed when I heard 12 cars out of 43 were still on the lead lap and that the leader had a 12 second lead. A real nail biter, for sure. As far as L.A. not having any good short tracks, Perris Auto Speedway is a good one if you like dirt racing and Ventura is fun if you like to get dizzy. Santa Maria is fast and Bakersfield is where you can visit the roots of dirt track racing way back when.(With facilities to match!) If you think those cell phone cup cars are fast, go watch a sprint car race on a high banked tacky dirt oval. Your eyes will pop out!

ahhell
06-15-2004, 05:00 AM
Victorville raceway is a fun place to spend a sat. eve. watching the pintos run their furious 1/4 mile:D they also run sprints and mini's and those funky looking sheetmetal things

cstraub
06-15-2004, 06:07 AM
I think all the races should be run here in Bristol!!!!!