PDA

View Full Version : engine oil leak Help

77Eliminator
06-13-2004, 10:29 PM
I have a fresh 460 that has about two hours on it and today I found a small amout of oil in the bottom of the hull near the front of the motor. I'm running a Nicson timing cover that has integral motor mounts and I'm not sure if its the timing cover. Oil pan or front seals that are leaking and of course its harder than hell to see under that part of the motor any thoughts? I sure hate to pull the motor.

roostwear
06-14-2004, 07:26 AM
I had one of my 460s leak at the pan/cover joint. PIA to reseal, but ya gotta do, what ya gotta do. You did put the oil slinger back on when you reassembled, right? Any crankcase pressure that would blow oil past the front crank seal?

SB
06-14-2004, 08:52 AM
I found a tiny leak on mine at the remote filter.

FlatRat
06-14-2004, 09:06 AM
Might want to check and see if the dowl hole in the block/timing cover is correct.A friend had one leak on a his 396.Made a mess.:confused:

77Eliminator
06-25-2004, 08:40 AM
After pulling out the interior and lots of neck twisting I have determined that the oil is coming from the dipstick. So I replaced the dipstick and added a PCV that now vents to the intake mainfold, seems to be working. I guess the valve cover breathers just needed a little help from the PCV