PDA

View Full Version : What happens on shutdown?

BrendellaJet
06-14-2004, 10:51 AM
I was told that my hull is not going to need a jetaway. The reputable man said that my hull will go straight, and since it has such a shallow v, there is even less of a chance of getting pitched. I wont say who told me this to prevent drama, but he has experience with my hull, and is one of "THEE" guys to go to in the fast jetboat industry...
Anyone ever hear of some hulls being immune to the ill handling effects of a jet boat shutdown?

Beal Motorsports
06-14-2004, 11:14 AM
If you race the boat a ratchet or a popoff is required no matter what. If it is a lake boat, its your decision. If the boat runs faster than 80 or so I wouldn't put myself or any riders in danger of running without a ratchet.
How fast are you planning on running?

BrendellaJet
06-14-2004, 11:32 AM
Boat will be doing over 90, not sure how much. Do you recommend the Hi tech piece or the one made by Dons?

Beal Motorsports
06-14-2004, 11:35 AM
I have experience with both. Both work great, but I believe HTP unit is nicer and easier to use.

AngryJosh
06-14-2004, 12:45 PM
I've got an 88 Commander 19'. This pig acts ten kinds of crazy when you get outta the throttle. It wants to skip sideways, usually to the left. You feel as if you have little to no control over the boat. I'm used to a boat that coasts straight when you let off the gas. I think my problem is a combination of two things. First of all my steering is very tight, and second I dont have any scags near the intake on my jet. The boat wants to wander all over the place.???????

Beal Motorsports
06-14-2004, 12:49 PM
Ratchet will definately not help that. Sounds as if there is waaaay too much shoe, but hard to tell with out pics. Good Luck!

AngryJosh
06-14-2004, 01:00 PM
Uhh Beal, I kinda hijacked this thread. I hope your reply was not directed to my post. I was just telling my story:wink:
But, what is Waaay to much shoe???

Beal Motorsports
06-14-2004, 01:05 PM
The shoe is the sharp U-shaped piece at the rear of the intake opening. If it is shimmed down to far the shut down will and can be dangerous.
Several boats have gone back to the 8 sq inch Skag that mounts under the nozzle to help with steering while not under power.

bp
06-14-2004, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Beal Motorsports
If you race the boat a ratchet or a popoff is required no matter what. If it is a lake boat, its your decision. If the boat runs faster than 80 or so I wouldn't put myself or any riders in danger of running without a ratchet.
How fast are you planning on running?
not that it's right or wrong, but you can race njba without one if you don't exceed 100.
nice thing about the jetaway is warming up without spinning the pump.
shim the shoe down too far, and you'll feel it on shutdown even with a jetaway
i've only seen one of those little rudders. i asked the guy if it worked, and he said hell no.

BrendellaJet
06-14-2004, 03:48 PM
The warm up without the pump spinning feature is what attracts me most to it. But its not worth 1100 bucks just for that. I figure I need it for safety, I guess it depends on how pricey dons piece is... If its that much cheaper, Ill go that route, but then Ill probably be wishing I could warm my motor on the trailer and wont be able too...:mad:

Squirtcha?
06-14-2004, 04:29 PM
I'm probably running my shoe a little deep, but prior to the current setup I had no adverse handling on shutdown. Now it's a little squirrelly over 75 and gets downright violent over 80, if you just get off the gas all sudden like.

Beal Motorsports
06-14-2004, 05:55 PM
Bp you are right that the best use is running on the trailer out of gear. But anytime you would lock up a motor whether it be at 85 or 120 the boat is going to be a handful. So if you can afford to do it awesome, if not put it on the x-mas list.
But in my honest opinion the safety of my boat is the last thing I will skimp on.

LUVNLIFE
06-14-2004, 07:56 PM
A racthet is 1100 what is the cost of a pop off and the pros and cons of it versus the ratchet:)

UBFJ #454
06-14-2004, 08:05 PM
They serve different purposes ... Both should be installed on Really Fast Jet Boats.

LUVNLIFE
06-14-2004, 08:23 PM
I thought they both releived the water pressure so the boat would remain somewhat straight. Maybe I need a lesson in each of their respected applications. Please:)

LVjetboy
06-14-2004, 11:47 PM
I'm no racer so take my comments for what they're worth. Both ratchet and popoff relieve intake pressure on sudden shutdown, reducing tail lift and nose steer. The ratchet's automatic...keeping the impeller spinning no matter engine sudden shutdown. The popoff's manually controlled? Racers can chime in here...relieving intake pressure but must be activated by the driver. Not so great. Both may staighten a squirly jet, neither may be needed on a straight jet...depending on hull design and speed.
jer

UBFJ #454
06-15-2004, 04:41 AM
Purpose of a rachet is to almost instantaneously isolate motor from pump in case of major malfunction in either. Side benefit, can run/warm/tune motor on trailer w/out turning/harming pump.
Purpose of PopOff is to instantaneously divert substantial amount of water away from impeller thus abruptly diminishing thrust out the nozzle when such an extreme action is desireable to help settle a boat down ... Dan Nelson's can be set up to be activated either automatically based on intake pressure and/or purely manually ... Ours is set up to go off either way ... Automatically when too much intake pressure during a run and manually for run shut down and/or any time at the driver's discretion.
IHBA requires PopOff Valves on all jet boats faster than 10 seconds in the 1/4 mile. Don't know about NJBA Rules.

BigBoyToys
06-15-2004, 04:52 AM
BP is correct. You do not need a Jetaway or Ratchet to race in NJBA as long as you are under 100 mph. I ran 1 of my boats last year at an NJBA race with no Jetaway/ratchet. But, if you are not running one and you have a U-Joint style driveshaft, you must have a cover.
My Syndicate sets down nicely at full throttle to no power (It happened 2 weeks ago when I popped an engine) but my CP Tunnel that I had DEFINITELY does not set down nicely....in fact, you can plan on getting tossed with a CP Tunnel if not running a ratchet/Jetaway and losing a motor. I guess it all depends on the hull and how it's setup.

Beal Motorsports
06-15-2004, 05:08 AM
IHBA is ratchet or Popoff as well. I am a member of SDBA and IHBA and I pass tech with both clubs with just a ratchet. In fact I have never been asked about it, even at phoenix. I see a lot popoffs going off at half track on smooth water. So for now for me the ratchet is the only way to go.

UBFJ #454
06-15-2004, 05:18 AM
Our PopOff going off at mid track @ FireBird has been our choice (Manually Triggered) due to the boat starting to get very unstable as a result of the hardware setup/keel we were running at that time ... Ours has Never Gone Off by Mistake.

bp
06-15-2004, 05:29 AM
Originally posted by Beal Motorsports
Bp you are right that the best use is running on the trailer out of gear. But anytime you would lock up a motor whether it be at 85 or 120 the boat is going to be a handful. So if you can afford to do it awesome, if not put it on the x-mas list.
But in my honest opinion the safety of my boat is the last thing I will skimp on.
i completely agree. since i run the jetaway, i don't have direct experience with the other ratchet, but i've seen them on other boats and they apparently work very well. wouldn't run without it.
as far as ratchet vs popoff, the ratchet operates immediately, the popoff doesn't. the ratchet does not need to be reset, the popoff does. even if you don't step off the throttle or lose the engine, the popoff can make shutdowns a whole lot smoother. if i were running 125+, i'd definately have both.

HotHallet
06-15-2004, 02:15 PM
The key with the shoe is let out easy!!!

jerry billet
06-15-2004, 03:30 PM
I was had the understanding the ratched would work properly if you could insure the inflowing water was able to turn the impellor. Otherwise does not help. anyone out there who can hear thier ratchet axtivate when they let off the throttle?
I put in a pop- off to avoid moving the engine forward 4".
Jerry

bp
06-15-2004, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by jerry billet
I was had the understanding the ratched would work properly if you could insure the inflowing water was able to turn the impellor. Otherwise does not help. anyone out there who can hear thier ratchet axtivate when they let off the throttle?
Jerry
yup. i can even hear it activate (that's shortly after it axtivates):D :D :D
so, are ya makin' a comeback yet? seemed like you were gettin' awful antsy up at rb???

LUVNLIFE
06-15-2004, 07:48 PM
So it appears they both do the same thing but maybe in a dif way and that the ratchet allows you to run on the trailer without disconnecting the drive shaft. Is it personal preference, price or does one actually work better? I have a quick disconnect drive shaft so that's not an issue. Anybody?