PDA

View Full Version : 04 Tahoe

cheezpanel
06-14-2004, 06:43 PM
I'm pulling the trigger on an 04 Tahoe tomorrow for the wife...here's the question. I've always lifted my trucks and know what I'm looking for. Not doing that on this one. Basically I want to drive from the dealer and put new rims and tires on it, but I really don't know what sizes to look for. Anyone have any pics? I'm thinking 18s or 19s, but on what size tires? I don't know if these will be too big or small, and haven't really looked around yet, just thought I'd ask for suggestions. Thank guys
:D

N2Lake
06-14-2004, 06:46 PM
A set of 20s with some 285/50R20 or possibly even some 305/50R20s would fit. These sizes are getting to the point you can buy them right. Discount Tire usually has them on sale for 1500 to 1800 bucks for wheels and tires.

XtrmWakeborder
06-14-2004, 06:51 PM
im also going to say 20's ive got 18's on my blazer and their still kinda small...deffinately dont go with 19's tires are expensive as hell and their arent to many options.

XtrmWakeborder
06-14-2004, 06:53 PM
you could also step up to 22's like budget ballers sub http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=47473

roln 20s
06-14-2004, 07:10 PM
I'm with everyone else- 20's are the way to go. Not to expensive, tires are reasonable in that size- I'd do 285-50 tires. Plus, with those tires, you will get a real nice ride. You don't sacrifice anything. If you spend the money- definately get a set of 22's. Super clean looking, tires aren't too bad, but prepare for anywhere from 2800-4000 out the door for 22'sdepending on the brands and your connections.
Budget ballers ride is awesome.
Roln 20s

Mandelon
06-14-2004, 07:56 PM
What? No Spinners.......:confused: :D

Woodster
06-14-2004, 09:24 PM
Hey Cheezpanel we put 22" weld evo's on the wifes Tahoe..1st we lifted it and she hated it, so we had them take the lift off and put the 22's on it and slightly lower it. I had to trim some of the plastic fender liner on the rear wheel wells but other than that no probs with fit..

dicudmore
06-14-2004, 09:34 PM
keep your stock tires and wheels handy.....
you WILL need them if you have a front end or driveline problem.
other than stock tire size? sorry, NOT WARRANTY

Garrddogg
06-14-2004, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by dicudmore
keep your stock tires and wheels handy.....
you WILL need them if you have a front end or driveline problem.
other than stock tire size? sorry, NOT WARRANTY do that again but in the soup nazi voice !
:eek:
:cool:

dicudmore
06-14-2004, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by Force 26
do that again but in the soup nazi voice !
:eek:
:cool:
NO WARRANTY FOR YOU.....
especially for guys with BLOWER MOTORS in suburbans (until after I've had my boat ride in the Force)

Garrddogg
06-14-2004, 09:50 PM
NO WARRANTY FOR YOU.....
especially for guys with BLOWER MOTORS in suburbans (until after I've had my boat ride in the Force) It says "check 4WD" what does that mean?:confused:

dicudmore
06-14-2004, 09:53 PM
service 4wd perhaps it says :confused:
03 right?
prob an encoder problem, or tccm "asleep"
had several that were just calibration updates

Garrddogg
06-14-2004, 09:56 PM
service 4wd perhaps it says :confused:
03 right?
prob an encoder problem, or tccm "asleep"
had several that were just calibration updates You guys gonna hook me up or send me to warrenty jail?:eek:

dicudmore
06-14-2004, 09:58 PM
i can take care of it, but a few miles away from whittier....
another dealer, dunno....
I don't think you'd have any probs getting that fixed

Woodster
06-14-2004, 09:58 PM
NO WARRANTY FOR YOU.....
especially for guys with BLOWER MOTORS in suburbans (until after I've had my boat ride in the Force)
So your saying that my warranty is void because of aftermarket Wheels??:confused:

Garrddogg
06-14-2004, 10:01 PM
i can take care of it, but a few miles away from whittier....
another dealer, dunno....
I don't think you'd have any probs getting that fixed
thanks

dicudmore
06-14-2004, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by Woodster
So your saying that my warranty is void because of aftermarket Wheels??:confused:
no, I'm saying if you have for instance a loose idler arm (should be covered) better put the stock wheels and tires on before you take it in....
if you bring it in with great big wheels and tires for driveline (diff, trans) or suspension/steering. Yes, NOT COVERED....modified.
We do see a lot more wear and tear on the front end stuff with over-size tires/wheels. Little bit of offset makes a huge difference in the load for the hubs, etc.
some of the area reps are different than others, but ours is real stringent. If he saw a car in my shop w/wheels on it and thought we were doing a warranty repair that might be caused by the tire size he'd make damn sure that claim did not pay....

Garrddogg
06-14-2004, 10:02 PM
Oh yeah 04 Tahoe
have you checked out carsdirect.com's pricing?
I saved a sh1tload of $ that way!:D

Woodster
06-14-2004, 10:09 PM
no, I'm saying if you have for instance a loose idler arm (should be covered) better put the stock wheels and tires on before you take it in....
if you bring it in with great big wheels and tires for driveline (diff, trans) or suspension/steering. Yes, NOT COVERED....modified.
We do see a lot more wear and tear on the front end stuff with over-size tires/wheels. Little bit of offset makes a huge difference in the load for the hubs, etc.
some of the area reps are different than others, but ours is real stringent. If he saw a car in my shop w/wheels on it and thought we were doing a warranty repair that might be caused by the tire size he'd make damn sure that claim did not pay.... Thats why u upgrade every 2 years:)

dicudmore
06-14-2004, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by Woodster
Thats why u upgrade every 2 years:)
nothing wrong with that :D
hey, mine would now be 2 years and a couple months....
better go see if they have a new white dually crew-cab in stock, duramax of course :cool:

roln 20s
06-14-2004, 10:17 PM
Thats why u upgrade every 2 years
Man..is everyone on these boards ballers or what? I love being associated with such a bad ass group :D
Roln 20s <---still dreamin of baller status

XtrmWakeborder
06-15-2004, 12:13 AM
Thats why u upgrade every 2 years
rollin on lil 18's<----with roln 20's also dreamin of baller status lol
maybe i should just jump up to the new 28's

cheezpanel
06-15-2004, 05:26 AM
Originally posted by Mandelon
What? No Spinners.......:confused: :D
That's what my wife said...no f'in way! Figured I'm spending the $$, might as well do it all now. Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm heading down to Discount today to see what they've got. I think 20s is what I'll look for. Anyone have a hookup in San Diego that I should look into?

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
06-15-2004, 05:59 AM
just keep in mind that the 285/50 r20 tire is larger diameter and will throw your speedometer off. we just bought a set of 18 x 9 chrome wheels with nitto 275/60 r18 tires for our '01 Tahoe and love them. you can go too big and the shorter the sidewall the rougher the ride. I personally don't like anything larger than 18's on a truck. the spinners have to go. the wheels and tires together were $1120 out the door. sorry no pics. I highly recommend the nitto extreme force suv tires or the toyo proxess s/t. I have the toyos on my pickup for about 8,000 miles showing no wear and holding their balance excellently. the nitto's all took less .5 oz to balance and run extemely smooth.
Omega

cheezpanel
06-15-2004, 06:19 AM
Originally posted by OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
just keep in mind that the 285/50 r20 tire is larger diameter and will throw your speedometer off. we just bought a set of 18 x 9 chrome wheels with nitto 275/60 r18 tires for our '01 Tahoe and love them. you can go too big and the shorter the sidewall the rougher the ride. I personally don't like anything larger than 18's on a truck. the spinners have to go. the wheels and tires together were $1120 out the door. sorry no pics. I highly recommend the nitto extreme force suv tires or the toyo proxess s/t. I have the toyos on my pickup for about 8,000 miles showing no wear and holding their balance excellently. the nitto's all took less .5 oz to balance and run extemely smooth.
Omega
Thanks for the info...I hate those spinners too. I guess I'll look at 18s also. I really don't want to go too extreme, just something that looks nice and rides well etc...Some of the shops around here should have pics, etc...

TOBTEK
06-15-2004, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by cheezpanel
I'm pulling the trigger on an 04 Tahoe tomorrow for the wife...here's the question. I've always lifted my trucks and know what I'm looking for. Not doing that on this one. Basically I want to drive from the dealer and put new rims and tires on it, but I really don't know what sizes to look for. Anyone have any pics? I'm thinking 18s or 19s, but on what size tires? I don't know if these will be too big or small, and haven't really looked around yet, just thought I'd ask for suggestions. Thank guys
hold on cheeze........................KAB, from the boards here and our neighbor at H/S also has a tahoe/wifey moble. He has a set of brandnew totally pimp chrome wheels and tires he wants to sell! I can find out this morning from him what exactly they are, ofcourse they are at the river ALL week:rolleyes: I've seen the set for sale, they are VERY nice! But I can call him for you. He had another buddy sell his tahoe, and they bought his 23 or 24" superblings.....

cheezpanel
06-15-2004, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by TOBTEK
hold on cheeze........................KAB, from the boards here and our neighbor at H/S also has a tahoe/wifey moble. He has a set of brandnew totally pimp chrome wheels and tires he wants to sell! I can find out this morning from him what exactly they are, ofcourse they are at the river ALL week:rolleyes: I've seen the set for sale, they are VERY nice! But I can call him for you. He had another buddy sell his tahoe, and they bought his 23 or 24" superblings.....
No prob...thanks for the heads up. I don't even have the thing yet, so I'll make sure I get ahold of you before I do anything. You coming out this weekend?

Hal
06-15-2004, 08:03 AM
Go to tirerack.com, you can put up an image of a 2004 Tahoe in your color and try a lot of different tire and wheel combos on it.

riverbound
06-15-2004, 09:28 AM
I put 22" momo vantage on my wifes tahoe and it rides really well (a little bit rougher than stock but also handles better) If you are the kind of person who is worried about gas mileage than dont go to larger wheels. By the way if you havent bought the truck yet you should call Jay Photoglou a call he is the sales manager at Camino Real Chevrolet he gave me the best price on a thaoe. He is a board member so just tell him you found out about him on Hotbaot. Definitely worth the drive I saved a ton of money.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/681Picture_358-med.jpg

cheezpanel
06-15-2004, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by riverbound
I put 22" momo vantage on my wifes tahoe and it rides really well (a little bit rougher than stock but also handles better) If you are the kind of person who is worried about gas mileage than dont go to larger wheels. By the way if you havent bought the truck yet you should call Jay Photoglou a call he is the sales manager at Camino Real Chevrolet he gave me the best price on a thaoe. He is a board member so just tell him you found out about him on Hotbaot. Definitely worth the drive I saved a ton of money.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/681Picture_358-med.jpg
Looks GREAT! I haven't bought the truck yet, but have a tent. deal in the works...where exactly Camino Real Chevy?

Brady Bunch
06-15-2004, 10:10 AM
Hey Cheez, it was nice seeing you and meeting the wife on Saturday! Go buy PG Series in El Cajon and talk to Eric Walhgren. He is the General Manager and a friend of mine from Granite Hills. They have lots of pictures and options. I would definately go with atleast 20's.

cheezpanel
06-15-2004, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by Brady Bunch
Hey Cheez, it was nice seeing you and meeting the wife on Saturday! Go buy PG Series in El Cajon and talk to Eric Walhgren. He is the General Manager and a friend of mine from Granite Hills. They have lots of pictures and options. I would definately go with atleast 20's.
How'd the Bday party go? I thought about PG...I'll ask for Eric. The last couple of times I've been there they seem to be quite pricey and Paul never seems to be there.

Brady Bunch
06-15-2004, 12:45 PM
The party went great, thanks for asking. A bunch of 8-9 year olds ran me into the ground. I was absolutely beat, between the wiffle ball games, football and 5 hours of sun I was ready for bed at 8:00.
Your right, Paul is hardly there and when he is, he isn't! He hides in his office! Tell Eric that I sent you. Atleast you can see a grip of pictures and get some ideas! They do really good work.
-Greg

TOBTEK
06-15-2004, 01:13 PM
....yeah, itsOriginally posted by cheezpanel
No prob...thanks for the heads up. I don't even have the thing yet, so I'll make sure I get ahold of you before I do anything. You coming out this weekend?
JUST LEFT A MESSAGE for Kevin at the river house....looser is there from last Thurs night to this coming Sunday....He SUCKS! Oh yeah, he just got a new DCB MACH26 as well:rolleyes: yeah, its good to be Kevin!
I'll P/M you with the detail's! ....NO RIVER for us this weekend! im working, and the 22 is going in the trader today I think!

cheezpanel
06-15-2004, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by TOBTEK
....yeah, its
JUST LEFT A MESSAGE for Kevin at the river house....looser is there from last Thurs night to this coming Sunday....He SUCKS! Oh yeah, he just got a new DCB MACH26 as well:rolleyes: yeah, its good to be Kevin!
I'll P/M you with the detail's! ....NO RIVER for us this weekend! im working, and the 22 is going in the trader today I think!
It's a SAD day...your baby in the trader...but it will be all good when you sell it. What spot is he in? If I get the Tahoe this week I may stop by and ask him this weekend.

riverbound
06-15-2004, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by cheezpanel
Looks GREAT! I haven't bought the truck yet, but have a tent. deal in the works...where exactly Camino Real Chevy?
Monterey Park do a search for Camino real on the boards and you will find the number jaywill quote you a price right over the phone.

RUCAV
06-15-2004, 08:06 PM
I went 20's with 305/50r20. Looks good, but not as clean as 22's. A buddy has 305/55's and it fill sup the well a little better. I just caught the end of the post talking about Jay Photoglou from Camino Real Chev. He is a good dude. Got a nice Fountain and place in Havasu.

cheezpanel
06-15-2004, 08:19 PM
OK guys...done deal. Thanks for all the advice. 04, 5300, 2WD, leather, the works. The onstar and xm radio is pretty cool. It's gonna take me a month to figure out how everything works. I guess I'll go wheel hunting tomorrow, it's been a long night. Thanks again for all the tips help.
Bill