PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Start Engine Lubing

surfer2001
06-15-2004, 06:53 AM
There are a few different companies making these systems, anybody here using one of them? What your opinion, Hot Mag did an article on one last year (MasterLube I think) . I understand they make oil pressure before you start your engine, what I donÂ’t understand is how these systems circulate the oil. Making pressure is one thing, circulating the oil is another?

PHX ATC
06-15-2004, 07:01 AM
I think, not sure, it just sends pressurized oil through the typical oil circulation route. It probably doesn't reach the entire route of flight for oil, but at least lubes up some of the cylinders and bearings that would benefit the most from it.
Personally, I can't see spending the $$$ for an engine that I baby and probably won't keep past 200 hours or so. My automobile engines haven't suffered without one yet...:rolleyes:

hd&boatrider
06-15-2004, 07:09 AM
I bought one for the new Shockwave but SW would not put it on for me. It is supposed to technically void your warranty from Mercury. It basically shoots oil into the engine prior to startup by pressing a little button first. Masterlube was what I bought. Still haven't installed it but will at 50 hours.....

Mandelon
06-15-2004, 07:13 AM
Its seems like a cool idea, but my F-250 has 130,000 miles on it and runs like badass.....Probably not necessary. Just do the right maintenance. You can buy a lot of oil changes for that $$$$.
Does the company have any side by side controlled comparisons?

dirty old man
06-15-2004, 07:15 AM
I had a pair on a couple of hi $ engines. Worked beautifully. Electric pump pushed oil, actually brought pressure up to 50 psi before I started. Also great for oil changes, just install a drain port.

surfer2001
06-15-2004, 10:58 AM

bigq
06-15-2004, 12:13 PM
The system is primed first and once discharged the engine oil pumps it back up. I have one for sale if interested, non liquid filled guage though, never installed.

AdrenelineOD
06-15-2004, 12:48 PM
Master lube claims that pre lubing will save 80% were and tear. I cant see having my enging run like new with 2000 hours on it. I would have one if I was made of $$$$ and if 80% is true.

surfer2001
06-15-2004, 02:38 PM
These systems sell for under $400.00, that does not seem like alot to me. Think about the coat of a complete rebuild.
I'm never heard about the 80% claim, that seems like BS to me.

GlastronGuy
06-15-2004, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by surfer2001
These systems sell for under $400.00, that does not seem like alot to me. Think about the coat of a complete rebuild.
I'm never heard about the 80% claim, that seems like BS to me.
I have heard the 80% claim.
They basically say that 80% of an engines wear happens at start up because of lack of oil.
When I de-winterize my boat I pull the distributor and use a cordless drill to spin my oil pump to pre lube the engine.

Jbb
06-15-2004, 04:31 PM
I have a masterlube on my jet ....and I like it and have had 6 trouble free years...It is a one shot deal however when firing it until it recharges....If I had it to do over again I would use a pump system like the one Keith Eickert sells....
Keith Eickert (http://www.keith-eickert.com/)

FastTimmy
06-15-2004, 04:49 PM
I have a home made jobber on my engine. I used a FlowJet pump and plumed it in myself. Just flip the switch when the oil pressure hits 40 Psi fire it up. I even have a one way flapper valve plumbed inline to protect the FlowJet pump. Yeh they all make the 80 percent wear claim but the main resone for use on my engine is to prevent the dry starts associated with using -12 oil lines and a HP 6 oil filter in addition to a heat exchanger oil cooler that holds 2 quarts of oil. Plus it is way cool to change the oil. Disconnect one line, stick it in a bucket and hit the switch. The pickup for the FlowJet is a stand alone pickup in the pan and it pumps it through the filter before it goes in the engine.
Timmy

cruser
06-15-2004, 08:13 PM
First, I don't have any connection to any of the companies that make these systems. However, claiming that you don't need this because your F150 has 180,00 miles on it with no problems is comparing apples to oranges.
Your pick up is probably driven daily but your boat sits for weeks if not months. Plenty of time for whatever oil is on the various bearings and other metal surfaces to drain away. Then you try to start it. Takes a few revolutions for the oil pressure to build. During this time, there is minimal if any lubrication, allowing bearings and crank or cam and lifters or cylinder and rings to rub. Got to be more damaging than shooting oil in before trying to start it.
If not then why do we prime the oil system in a new motor before starting it the first time. New motors are at least assembled with assembly lube. A motor that has sat for 3 weeks isn't.
I have heard that 80% number many times before. Used by these companies and the oil companies when they promote the next newest breakthrough in oil technology.
cruzer

FastTimmy
06-16-2004, 05:21 PM
yeh what he said............

Flyinbowtie
06-16-2004, 07:04 PM
Moroso makes a trick little accumulator, hold three quarts, Summit sells them. Alto less complicated than a pump etc., and serves the same purpose.