PDA

View Full Version : Edelbrock Gear Drive Broke!

Dentz
06-15-2004, 09:11 AM
Anyone hear of an edlebrock gear drive breaking...
I put one on my motor 461 old banks twin turbo deal and it gave out...Bent exhaust valves tapped pistons bent pushrods and broke 2 lifters...3 hrs on the motor! Ran great for three hours!!
Is there any recourse...!!! I hear from a few people after the fact that they heard they were junk!!It is the style that looks like the pete jackson!!With the dog bone in the middle! Should have went true roller like the rest of the world!!
it looks like there isn't any material where onw of the keyways are on the top gear>>>????It's a joke...Any suggestionS??Anyone!!

BrendellaJet
06-15-2004, 09:33 AM
They will probably only warranty the part, not the damage...
But you can try and weasel them into the repair, after all, their part caused it, right? (afterall, isn't it impossible to mess up the setup on one of those?)
Give them a chance to make right, if you're not pleased, flame em on the boards and shoot them a liink when the thread gets jumpin.

GofastRacer
06-15-2004, 07:09 PM
Never heard of one breaking but I always wonder who makes it for Edelbrock??..I run a Jackson and it's over 20yrs old and it's still like new!. BTW, what broke???, did you have enough up and down movement on the reverse idler????...

repo man
06-15-2004, 07:48 PM
had the block been line bored ?if so how many times? that can mess up the clearace and make them break.

Dentz
06-15-2004, 08:26 PM
Yep..the block was line bored..That is why the guy putting together the motor told me this was the best thing going cause he didn't want to mess around buying chains...did't know what to buy! 5 under 10 under or 15 under...I am in the process of buying one now! I know if I would have run a chain..It would still be alive...Today!

Dentz
06-15-2004, 08:31 PM
DynaGear makes em...I guess that cloyes..bought dynagear! They put on the name Edelbrock on it! I think they may make pete jackson also! I talked to a tech guy there and he said I woudn't run em on anything..He'd run a true roller! 100% He said If your gonna run a gear drive run a MILODON OR CASALE that is built into the case!! Nice Peice...but $550.oo I guess It would have been better than this fiasco!

GofastRacer
06-15-2004, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by Dentz
DynaGear makes em...I guess that cloyes..bought dynagear! They put on the name Edelbrock on it! I think they may make pete jackson also! I talked to a tech guy there and he said I woudn't run em on anything..He'd run a true roller! 100% He said If your gonna run a gear drive run a MILODON OR CASALE that is built into the case!! Nice Peice...but $550.oo I guess It would have been better than this fiasco!
Yep that's what I figured but I wasen't sure, they are junk!...Jackson makes their own, always has and they are good!. If you have the block lined bored and don't have the minimum clearance, Jackson has the proper reverse idler for that, it says that right in the paperwork that comes with it!...

GofastRacer
06-15-2004, 09:04 PM
BTW, my theory on chains is: chain stretches, timing retards, chain breaks, end of motor!..

cstraub
06-16-2004, 04:29 AM
IF you run Rollmaster, the chain does not stretch.. . .Iwis chain is German and tough stuff. Talked to Kasse a few years back and he had a Rollmaster on a large dirt engine for 9 years and the chain was still good. Rollmaster comes in 2, 4 ,6 , 8 , 10, 12, 14, 16. Cam gear is oversized to take up slack.
Chain Slop
1/4" 2 to 4 over bore
5/16" 4 to 6
3/8" 6 to 8
7/16" 8 to 10
1/2" 10 to 12

GofastRacer
06-16-2004, 07:17 PM
Well can't see a chain not stretching to a certain degree, I lost a motor because of a chain once, it gonna happen again!..:)

tbanzer
06-17-2004, 04:55 AM
Never quite got the whole chain stretching bit. Just cant see stretching steel with the limited tension that the valve train puts on it. The so called stretching IMO is really the pins and rollers wearing. If every pin and roller wears .001" and you have 70 or so pins you end up with about a .070" increase in length. Im a firm believer in buying a true double roller top quality chain and making sure the gears are perfectly lined up with a cam button to keep the camshaft from walking.

cstraub
06-17-2004, 06:31 AM
Go,
Most chain is pre-stretched, but it is stretched in large runs of chain. . .lengths up to 500ft.
Iwis preassembles all of their chain assembles, BBC 68 links if I remember correctly, then stretches these in an oil bath. Much more accurate then the rest. Of course that is why an Iwis chain cost $40 and a Rolon, Dido, KCM, cost around $20.
Chris

GofastRacer
06-17-2004, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by tbanzer
Never quite got the whole chain stretching bit. Just cant see stretching steel with the limited tension that the valve train puts on it. The so called stretching IMO is really the pins and rollers wearing. If every pin and roller wears .001" and you have 70 or so pins you end up with about a .070" increase in length. Im a firm believer in buying a true double roller top quality chain and making sure the gears are perfectly lined up with a cam button to keep the camshaft from walking.
Well whatever stretches, it still leads to retarding the cam and then breaking. I've seen chains wear thru the side of the timing cover before!..

GofastRacer
06-17-2004, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by cstraub69
Go,
Most chain is pre-stretched, but it is stretched in large runs of chain. . .lengths up to 500ft.
Iwis preassembles all of their chain assembles, BBC 68 links if I remember correctly, then stretches these in an oil bath. Much more accurate then the rest. Of course that is why an Iwis chain cost $40 and a Rolon, Dido, KCM, cost around $20.
Chris
I hear ya, it's been so long I don't remember what chain it was but it was the most expensive one that you could get at the time, it lasted 10 passes at 7500 max, end of motor!..That was the last chain for me!...

Chief
06-26-2004, 08:52 PM
I just put a Pete Jackson on my 454. M yblock was line bored 15thou and I called and spoke to one of the Jacksons. Very nice people! He told me to take the measurements and I did. When I got it back It still didnt have the play I needed in the reverse Idler so I sent it back again. They are very fast on turnaround if you send 10 bucks to cover the shipping. Any way the second cut was pefect as for idler play. The real test will be in the water! As for a good business company My experience was the best from these guys! just my .02 cents.