PDA

View Full Version : Alternators

Lightning
06-15-2004, 10:55 AM
I was thinking about upgrading my alternator to one that has some more amperage. The stock one in that my boat came with only has a 43 or 50 amp alternator in it. The motor is a stock, Marine Power 454 mag.
Any suggestions on where to look for one with some more amps?
I have heard mixed reviews on "marine" vs regular and that they are all the same. I don't really think this is true and feel I should get one that is "marine" - unless someone can convince me otherwise.
Any suggestions?

rrrr
06-15-2004, 11:30 AM
Unless you want to court disaster, get a marine unit. They are built to contain sparks....which could cause an explosion. Most unpleasant. Besides that, it makes your boat noncompliant with the law.
Also, if you ever have a fire for any reason and your insurance company finds out you have a non marine alternator then they will not pay the claim.
I have seen a company selling marine alternators on eBay, they can build whatever you want. They look like quality stuff and have warranties. Just do a "marine alternator" search on eBay Motors.

Dave C
06-15-2004, 03:19 PM
If you have an engine cover get a Marine one.

Lightning
06-15-2004, 04:01 PM
OK, so I am definately going with a marine alternator for obvious reasons. Now I just need to find one that is pretty decent and has more amperage then the one that I have. Any suggestions?

mirvin
06-15-2004, 04:15 PM
I just had mine rebuilt as it went bad. I tried to get a new one but since it was the old "3 wire" style I was told it had to be rebuilt. SO, the question for you is can you even get a new one?????
If not, find out where the local shops send theirs for rebuilding and just go there.
mirvin

HalletDave
06-15-2004, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Lightning
OK, so I am definately going with a marine alternator for obvious reasons. Now I just need to find one that is pretty decent and has more amperage then the one that I have. Any suggestions?
You could try Rex Marine.;) :D

Sleek26
06-15-2004, 08:09 PM
Look in the yellow pages for a shop that rebuilds them they can make it higher amperage on many alternators. It would probably be less expensive than buying another marine alt.

rrrr
06-16-2004, 07:31 AM
Here's the eBay guy I was talking about...
Alternator (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31284&item=2482228800&rd=1)

Dave C
06-16-2004, 07:45 AM
rrrr,
I likey those one wires. Good alternators.

1stepcloser
06-16-2004, 02:07 PM
Call Teague (http://www.teaguecustommarine.com/home.html). They have marine one wire 120 amp alternators for very reasonable prices, painted or chrome too.
I am on my third season with one and have no complaints.

77charger
06-16-2004, 06:56 PM
I just got a 1 wire 100 amp marine alt for 143 bucks shipped to my house.I got it from rb performance in parker and have heard lots of good about him.If you go with the high amp one you're going to have to change out the 10 gage wire that goes from the alt to the battery to a 4 gage to take advantage of the high out put or you can smoke your 10 gage wire up.I thought my stock one went out i used an automotive one i had for a temp and when the stereo batt went near dead it worked the alt pretty good i smelled very hot electrical ended up burning up the alt from the voltage regulator.
the stock unit i removed had a loose wire which i suspected when i pulled it off it works well now but i replaced anyways with the 100 amp

cdog
06-16-2004, 08:35 PM
I have one that's just about brand new off of my old schiada. It had about 2-3 hours on it and is a 100 amp unit. I did'nt sell it with the boat because it was brand new and I figured i'd use it on the next boat. I had to go with the internal fan unit on the new setup. If your still lookin pm me or give me a call.
Corey
714-281-1395