PDA

View Full Version : My Lake Mead Vacation, for FM

Debbolas
06-15-2004, 12:35 PM
Our trip was......................interesting.
You know this was our 3rd trip in a row to the river, right, well I GOT to drive the motorhome and it wasn't easy. Much harder than I anticipated. But I did it!
The campground (echo bay)had hookups but was kinda sucky, because you had to drive down to the lake. The lake was beautiful! Big and uncrowded, you just need to look for rocks, because it is so low.
We get up and launch the next day. I back the trailer down fine. We get out on the water, and head over to our favorite beach Hallett Beach. We hang out, Bob has a leak in his boat and pumps his bildge out all over the beach, kinda messing up the water NOT the end of the world, but he is worried about his boat leaking. ( and he didn't bring any depends....jk/lol)
Then we decide to take the kids tubing. We blow up the tube, I have a beer and a sandwich, I am starting to relax. Matt scoops up Sunny to put him in the boat AND KICKS THE PROP, Blood is gushing out between his hands that are holding his skin flap to his leg. (Totally gross!) He hops over to the beach and I go into SUPERMOM mode, I jump out of the boat with a towel, and Bob wraps it up tight and it stops bleeding. We sit him down and start to pack up the beach. Deflate the tub, gather the chairs, etc....
The wind has come up at this point. Bob wants tape so I jump into my boat and dump out my green boat bag, looking for the tape, find it and we tape a sponge to Matts leg. We throw everything back into the boat (the boat is thrashed at this point, sand, mud, stuff everywhere)
I drive back to the dock,(very fast) I dock the boat (first time, I did well) and tell the Marina boy what happened. He runs off to ge the ranger/marina person. An offical looking chick comes back and says there is a $250 fee for the ranger to come out and they will just tell you to go to urgent care. I am surprised at how calm they are about Matt's prop injury. (I think they should be flying choppers in at this point)
So we drive up to the camp with everyone shoved into the car, drop everyone off, bring Bob back to the dock because they can't find the bag with the keys, drive back to the camp, and take off for the hospital.
This is my chance to SPEED! I have a GOOD excuse, if a cop stops me I just tell him my husband has a prop cut and needs immediate medical attention. I am driving fast, Matt says to slow down a few times (he isn't dieing ya know, he says)
I make good time to the Ranger Station, but can't get their attention from the exit lane. I wave and wave. I don't honk, because I don't want to freak Matt out. So I drive over to the entrance and explain Matt's injury, Matt decides this is the time to pay our lake fee. I just look at him, ok, maybe he is delirous. The ranger chick says we should go to St Rose hospital and we can pay when we come back.
We get to the ER and I drop Matt off. After parking the car, I come in and find him filling out forums. I tend to get excited when my loved ones are in ER's and bleeding. I have been known to yell. Matt does not like this about me so I am trying to maintain.
We fill our forms, there is only one older lady ahead of us. This is looking good, we could be out of here in an hour. Suddenly a women rushes in with her diaper clad baby in her arms screaming that her baby can't breath, they take her right it. This puts Matt's injury into perspective and I calm down.
A guy comes in that is coughing up blood and holding his side (not good, he will probably go ahead of us...) A man with a mullett comes in with his one-toothed wife and they fill out forms. The grandmother of the baby comes in, she looks my age and sits with another man and crys. A couple come in, they look like they are from the river, he has a broken hand and a mullett. An older women brings her mother in and asks Matt questions in Spanish. A "Soprano" type guy brings his mother in and is anoyed at the wait. I think he wants to tip the receptionist. The coughing up blood guy and his girlfriend go outside. The sick babies other family members come in...They look at the fish tank, the grandmother crys. The "nurse" comes in and calls his name. In my new spirit of co-operation I go outside to look for him. I can't find him. The nurse goes away.
The nurse comes back and calls Matt's name. (we score! we are in the triage room!) A word about the nurse. He is a black male in his late 40's with blond cornrow braids in his hair, prepubesent breasts and a little tummy. He as fake (natural looking) nails and is about 6ft4. He is very nice and likes Matt. His name tag says Lewis, but when the phone rings he answers it as Lois. The man coughing up blood is back, he had just gone outside for a cigarette. Lois says he can wait. He then tells us that his day has just gone to hell as they have a very sick baby. Lois takes Matt's vitals' and takes us back to the cast room (I am gratefull for the privacy)
There are teenage girls everywhere in hospital smocks (?) After about 2 secs, (this is looking good for us to be out soon) a very nice women nurse comes in and asks what happend. Matt tells her and she says he can't be captain anymore. I like her! She can't get the bandage that Bob and I taped to his foot off. She says we did a good job!!! She sets all the suture stuff out and explains they have a very sick baby and we may have to wait.
We are in a room, with our supplies, we should be home soon. WRONG ABOUT an hour or so later a very young doctor comes in and takes the bandage off of Matt's foot, Matt jumps about a foot. He then numbs Matt's foot with a needle and his a vein which causes Matt's foot to start bleeding............ a lot. The doc looks pissed. he says he will be back after that numbs up. (oh no) we wait and wait and wait.
A women goes by on a gurney snoring loudly. The teenage girls go to the bathroom, a lot! The doc comes back and starts to sew Matt up. They chat about where the doc went to school. (in Pomona) I ask about the size of the cut, because it looked 10 inches long to me. Both men laugh and tell me that it is about 4 inches long. Ok whatever!
The cut takes 11 stitches and about another hour later we leave for camp. I don't drive as fast back to our camp and when we get there Bob & Donna have started my dinner I brought. Matt is feeling good, so he goes with Bob to pull his boat out of the water, I take a shower and relax...The next day we head out for a few hours on the lake, because Lake Mead is a long way to drive for just a half day on the lake. We pack up and leave around 11 or 12. Driving the RV back home is difficult, but I am starting to get the hang of it now.
and that is my Lake Mead vacation......
:D :D

FMluvswater
06-15-2004, 12:55 PM
:cool: I did reply to it in the other thread. ;) I love how much detail you give. :D
You do the best write ups and RiverKitty does the best photo accountings IMO! :cool:
Best location/scenery shots I've ever seen here were photographed and posted by sidewound and Tom Brown. :cool:
There are some really talented people here. :)

FRENCHIE
06-15-2004, 12:57 PM
yes i agree, might have to put my weekend summaries on a pocket recorder and send to Deb for type up!!:D

Some Kind Of Monster
06-15-2004, 01:02 PM
...And a partridge in a pair tree!

RP1
06-15-2004, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by FRENCHIE
yes i agree, might have to put my weekend summaries on a pocket recorder and send to Deb for type up!!:D
No... Please, one write up a week is enough.lol:D

Dr. Eagle
06-15-2004, 01:40 PM
Boat Depends (http://www.boatus-store.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=20002&langId=-1&catalogId=20002&productId=72733)
Good for what ails (oils) you...

Kachina26
06-15-2004, 01:41 PM
My weekend report, by Kachina26
I went to the river and met up with Frenchie, we hung out and met other peeps from the boards. We went here and there and did the same on Sunday. Then I went home.
The end.

dicudmore
06-15-2004, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Kachina26
My weekend report, by Kachina26
I went to the river and met up with Frenchie, we hung out and met other peeps from the boards. We went here and there and did the same on Sunday. Then I went home.
The end.
Kachina that sounds like every river weekend to me :D

Debbolas
06-15-2004, 04:55 PM
I just wanted to make sure FM read it, because she is a writer and likes my stuff!
:D

FMluvswater
06-15-2004, 05:00 PM
Then mission accomplished! :D :cool:

Dr. Eagle
06-15-2004, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by Debbolas
I just wanted to make sure FM read it, because she is a writer and likes my stuff!
And no comments on the Boat Depends? or the Boatex?

Debbolas
06-15-2004, 06:58 PM
FM is the writer in the house!;)

Dr. Eagle
06-15-2004, 06:59 PM
Well, alrighty then......;)

Debbolas
06-15-2004, 06:59 PM
Look something shiney!;)

Dr. Eagle
06-15-2004, 07:00 PM
Look something shiney!;) '
Does it have rainbows around it?

FMluvswater
06-15-2004, 07:02 PM
No you are the "in house writer" I'm a writer out there on the net in a few places. ;)

Debbolas
06-15-2004, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by FMluvswaterbabe
No you are the "in house writer" I'm a writer out there on the net in a few places. ;)
Thanks!
I had such a positive response to my writing, I am thinking about..........well, writing..........;) I have always wanted too.:D

Dr. Eagle
06-15-2004, 07:06 PM
Warning: Do not write for the LA times... you become a communist within 30 days of working there... really!

FMluvswater
06-15-2004, 07:06 PM
Thanks!
I had such a positive response to my writing, I am thinking about..........well, writing..........;) I have always wanted too.:D
You really should ... You have a great knack for detail. :cool: You write it Debbolas; I will read it. :)

Kachina26
06-15-2004, 07:08 PM
Look something shiney!;)
Let me tell you, lasagna through the nose is as funny as it sounds.:D

Debbolas
06-15-2004, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Eagle
Warning: Do not write for the LA times... you become a communist within 30 days of working there... really!
Not possible....I am a republican/democratic/ child of hippies ;)

Debbolas
06-15-2004, 07:11 PM
You really should ... You have a great knack for detail. :cool: You write it Debbolas; I will read it. :)
Thanks, that is probably the nicest thing anyone has said to me in a long time................:D

Debbolas
06-15-2004, 07:11 PM
Thanks, that is probably the nicest thing anyone has said to me in a long time................:D
Debbolas<--------------will have to get spell check

FMluvswater
06-15-2004, 07:12 PM
You need new homies then! ;) :eek: :D

Debbolas
06-15-2004, 07:13 PM

FMluvswater
06-15-2004, 07:13 PM
Sure get spell check and if you ever need anything double checked I'd be willing to try. :)

Dr. Eagle
06-15-2004, 07:15 PM
FM UB Right... Deb told the story well, right mix of detail, funny annecdotes and appropriate sillyness...
I read both your posts last night, got interrupted in the middle of one.... but made sure I came back to finish.

Debbolas
06-15-2004, 07:17 PM
Cool, I have a new job!
(writing, writing, writing)