PDA

View Full Version : Hard turning E-pump

AngryJosh
06-15-2004, 06:40 PM
I've got a Berkley E-pump that creates alot of resistance in the wheel. I know its the pump because I disconnected the cable from the pump, and the steering is very easy. When cruising down the lake, the steering requires alot of force to turn. I use a small rudder on the nozzle for steering purposes, if that matters.
Any thoughts???:(
Thanks in advance-A.J.

Oldsquirt
06-15-2004, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by AngryJosh
......I know its the pump because I disconnected the cable from the pump, and the steering is very easy.......
While you had the cable disconnected did you try turning the nozzle side-to-side by hand, also?

King Kuracz
06-15-2004, 06:47 PM
After you disconnected the steering how hard was it to turn the nozzle by hand? No trim device either, right?
If the nozzle is free when the steering is disconnected look for bent pieces in the external bracket that mounts between the nozzle and the cable. Maybe someone backed the nozzle into something.

BigBlockBaja
06-15-2004, 06:47 PM
Did ya check the condition of the nozzle pins?

mgar_red
06-15-2004, 11:23 PM
Check to see if your nylon bushings are still in tact. See if there is a lot of slop on the nozzle up and down, side to side with the cable conntected. If they're old and deteriorated, chances are they've become really brittle and may have broken apart and fell out. You would end up with your stainless pins rubbing directly on the aluminum pin holes.
The nyliner bearings, as Berk calls these bushings, act to shim the pins and provide a smooth non-frictional surface for them to rotate on, like a regular steel bearing's function. Just something to rule out.

BigBoyToys
06-16-2004, 04:21 AM
Well, looks like everyone has it covered here. No need for my input;) :D

BigBoyToys
06-16-2004, 04:26 AM
hey AngryJosh, I see you are a Marine and was deployed to Iraq. Who were you with? I have a nephew named Josh that is in Ramadi right now with the 1st Marine Div, 2/4 Golf Weapons Co. Also have another nephew who recently returned from Iraq. He was with the 82nd Airborne and he was deployed for a year, mostly in Baghdad. His 4 year term just got done at the 1st week of June and he got out and is home here now.
A very special thanks to you and all of our Military Forces for an EXCELLENT Job! Well done:)

AngryJosh
06-16-2004, 06:40 AM
When I got this boat I found that the Nyliner bushings were missing. And yes, I had some slop. So I replaced them, which helped quit a bit, however there is still a slight amount of wiggle. I think the pin wore into the aluminum just a little.
The pump creates most of the resistance the last two inches on either side when turning.
BigBoyToys--Congradulations on your nephew making it home. It is a rough experience over there, more so now then when I was there?? I was attached to an LAV battalion with First Marine Division, Task Force Scorpion. I was there from April last year until Sept. Oh-and I'm a FORMER Marine, since I got out in Oct.:D :D Thanks to you also for your families service and your support.;)
Angry