PDA

View Full Version : chaparral deck boat ????????

TCHB
06-15-2004, 07:13 PM
Have you guys ever ridden in a Chaparral Deck Boat in real choppy water????

RiverToysJas
06-15-2004, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by TCHB
No, you?
I really like their boats though. Looked at their deckboats hard before coming to my senses and realizing I wouldn't be happy in a deck boat OR a production boat.
RTJas :D

welk2party
06-15-2004, 07:15 PM
No.

Mandelon
06-15-2004, 07:17 PM
I have been on one. And there were fat chicks on board too. :eek: Slippery deck, but seemed well put together.

Debbolas
06-15-2004, 07:30 PM
Our friends have a Chaparral and they love it. It is a good family boat. Very safe. :D
I didn't like the open bow/door thing on the deck boats.
I liked the bathroom and sink and all the room though...
;)

goneboatin
06-15-2004, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by TCHB
Have you ever put jalapenos on your nachos and then rubbed your eyes?

cc322
06-15-2004, 08:01 PM
I really like their boats though. Looked at their deckboats
.................................................. ........................................
You scared me Jason, good thing you caught yourself:D

Debbolas
06-15-2004, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by cc322
.................................................. ........................................
The little pop up eyes/lights things freak me out.....;)
And there is a "path" fo the water to take from the front of your boat, to the back..................I wonder how high up in the water they sit......:confused:

RiverToysJas
06-15-2004, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by cc322
It was a fake-out move to, through the wife off! ;)
RTJas :D

mbrown2
06-15-2004, 08:21 PM
Ridden in a neighbors 23 Crownline Deck across Havasu in the afternoon from the bay to Copper Canyon.....road like shit..
Ridden in an old bosses 23 or 24 Chapp Deck on the back side of the island in the afternoon....road better than the crownline, but still can take a pounding....the hull is like a big shoebox trying to take a set....smoother water and they run pretty good..(both boats only had 350's in them)..

Phat Matt
06-15-2004, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by goneboatin
Have you ever put jalapenos on your nachos and then rubbed your eyes?
lol :D

IN2-IN2MX
06-15-2004, 08:28 PM
Yeah, on my good friend's deck boat and it is fine. They have 2 little ones though so it's a good fit for them.

CEO
06-15-2004, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by mbrown2
Ridden in a neighbors 23 Crownline Deck across Havasu in the afternoon from the bay to Copper Canyon.....road like shit..
Ridden in an old bosses 23 or 24 Chapp Deck on the back side of the island in the afternoon....road better than the crownline, but still can take a pounding....the hull is like a big shoebox trying to take a set....smoother water and they run pretty good..(both boats only had 350's in them)..
My buddy bought a 25 or 26 Chappie, It attracts the party. I could have bought a new 4 door chevy crew cab 4x4 and a 26 Chappie, for the same money, as my DCB but I made the right decision.

mbrown2
06-15-2004, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by CEO
My buddy bought a 25 or 26 Chappie, It attracts the party. I could have bought a new 4 door chevy crew cab 4x4 and a 26 Chappie, for the same money, as my DCB but I made the right decision.
Blasphemy to even make that comparison....I thought the Lakers losing was upsetting, but that...:D :cool:

TCHB
06-17-2004, 05:09 PM
Sounds like rough Havasu water is a concern.

Trash
06-19-2004, 10:52 AM
If it rides like other boats in the line less than 23' its probably tolerable up to about 12 inch chop, after that it gets pretty brutal.

Slider
06-19-2004, 11:46 AM
The hull on the 26'crownline deck boat is new and comes standard with the 496 mag in it.Boating mag tested it and did great in heavy chop in the ocean.

alfonzo
06-19-2004, 01:01 PM
A friend of mine has a brand new one. Its a cool boat . The only thing I didn't like was all the hot spots,grey carpet, we had to lay down towels, and all the little clips to snap the carpet in..WOW!!!I stepped on a couple of those and damn near burned a hole in my foot. the cool thing, the whole back turns into a bed aswell as the front. The ride was average. I like the ride of a cat, so Its hard to compair.

dmontzsta
06-19-2004, 01:23 PM
hahaha

TCHB
06-24-2004, 08:49 PM
Any other comments!

BarryMac
06-25-2004, 05:33 AM
Yeah, stay away from Boatland in Escondido, they just aren't that freindly to deal with, my buddy bought his Chapparal 20SS somewhere in the IE...
gjb

jbtrailerjim
06-25-2004, 08:11 AM
I have never ridden in one but I am friends with Mike Basso the owner of Sun Country Marine in Ontario who is the largest Chaparral dealer in the nation. They sell so many Chaparrals it's unbelievable. I've poked around quite a few Chaparral's and they seem like well built boat for the money. My dad has driven one of the deck boats and he told me was pretty impressed with the way it rode & handled.

Trash
06-25-2004, 09:53 AM
Sun Country is the largest Chaparral dealer. I've seen them customize some of them too. My take on their ride stems from 95 models, so I'm not sure how much the hull has changed.
The handling is superb. Full throttle, full wheel lock turns its on rails. Absolutely reassuring. The boats tend to be beamy, and most have 8' plus beam. This coupled with a roughly 20-23 foot length equates to a rather stiff ride in 12-18 inch waves or greater. The vee appears to be rather steep at the bow, but flattens out quite a bit towards the stern. Most have rounded keels. From my experience, the right gets down right uncomfortable in the bigger waves. Definitely not the cushy ride a typical vee can give slicing through the waves.
I can only assume the deck boat is the same, but I'm probably wrong. The hulls may have changed drastically.

BarryMac
06-25-2004, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by Trash
Sun Country is the largest Chaparral dealer. I've seen them customize some of them too. My take on their ride stems from 95 models, so I'm not sure how much the hull has changed.
Sun Country is who my buddy bought his from, he said they were really good to him and his wife...
gjb

Moe_Havi
06-25-2004, 10:27 AM
I have a 2001 23 SSI with a 7.4 Dual prop. Pretty heavy and stable. 22 degree deadrise. Tons of storage, will hold 2 families, will run over 50 and take most of the afternoon slop at Mead and Mohave. It also has a small head which is a great for the amps and stero crap. Keep everything dry. Easy to grab towels etc. I don't know if it has the same hull as the deck boat. I don't think it does.
Moe

uvindex
06-25-2004, 11:12 AM
Have you guys ever ridden in a Chaparral Deck Boat in real choppy water???? I have. :) I owned a 2000 Chaparral Sunesta 210 deckboat for over two years, and used it on Havasu more times than I can count (plus took it to Lake Powell three times). I loved the boat, and it handled rough Havasu (and Powell) water very comfortably -- if you look at the hull closely, you'll see that it has a pretty significant "V", especially when compared to some other deckboats. Sure, it won't give as smooth a ride through big chop as an offshore V (like a Howard, for example :D ) but that's a trade-off you make for all the comforts and amenities of a deckboat. It never "pounded" like some other deckboats I've been on (Ebbtide and Playcraft come to mind) or made you dread oncoming big waves and wakes. Plus, mine was just a 21' -- a little birdie told me that you're looking at the 25, and its increased waterline and mass will only make it that much smoother than mine was.
Only reason I sold mine is 'cause I moved to Florida and I now boat in the Gulf of Mexico -- I think deckboats are great for lakes and rivers, but not for oceans or gulfs.
I got mine from Eric at Sun Country, and was happy with everything.
p.s. Those freshwater showers can't be beat in Havasu in July!

sizzlingcell
06-25-2004, 12:34 PM
I rode in my drummers 21 sunesta from Wahweap to Rainbow bridge last summer, the channel in between the rock cliffs after wahweep was super chop and the boat rode like shit, my wife cracked 2 ribs on the side railing of the boat on that stretch of water, other than that though it was ok...www.sizzlingcell.com (http://www.sizzlingcell.com)

Screaming Pete
06-25-2004, 12:46 PM
I rode a fat chick once when i was young and didn't know any better to bring the flour.. It was a learning experence thou:rolleyes:

CA Stu
06-25-2004, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Moe_Havi
I have a 2001 23 SSI with a 7.4 Dual prop. Pretty heavy and stable. 22 degree deadrise. Tons of storage, will hold 2 families, will run over 50 and take most of the afternoon slop at Mead and Mohave. It also has a small head which is a great for the amps and stero crap. Keep everything dry. Easy to grab towels etc. I don't know if it has the same hull as the deck boat. I don't think it does.
Moe
What's up Moe!
I have the 2001 235 SSi, (closed bow) with a 5.7 DuoProp, and everything you say is right on the money.
Before I bought it (from Sun County, great guys to deal with), I took a lake test in a 23 foot Chap Sunesta. Rode fine, very solid, the only thing I didn't like was the lack of shelter from the elements. I took my son with me and he was very pissed off the whole time. That's why I went with a closed bow.
As far as handling in chop, I'm sure they do very well at lower speeds, but if you try to go fast over some bumpy stuff, you will end up kissing the windshield. Don't ask how I know this :rolleyes:
I went to the RRX Poker run at Havasu last year, great event! While I was tied up alongside HTMs, Nordics, all the trick fast custom boats, I mentioned to someone that I was eyeing the other guy's boats with a bit of envy, and he said, "Yeah, they're all looking at yours the same way!".
There is something to be said for a comfortable, spacious, reliable, bimini topped boat (that will haul a ton of beverages and people).
One of these days I'm going to score me a pissed off fast F-U boat, but for my 2nd boat, this Chappy suits me fine. Well made, and Sun Country backs their product very very well.
Thanks
CA Stu

LASERRAY
06-25-2004, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by ShockwaveBob
Isn't this a bit like asking if we've ever taken a fat chick on a date to a well lit establishment? R O T F L M A O !!!:D

Slider
06-27-2004, 10:27 AM
yep