PDA

View Full Version : Peeps who sunk, please respond.

Danhercules
06-16-2004, 06:14 AM
I am conserned about 6 months or 1 yr down the road.
What did you all do and what happend?
Hows your gauges? Cables? Wireing?
I looks like mine will fire and everyting is working, (have not tried the radio yet, not holding my breath for that one) Gauges are working, gettin spark, fuel pump is working. How long will it work for? Tips?

manuel
06-16-2004, 06:38 AM
I looked out the window one morning and noticed that the river looked down, then I freaked out when I realized that the river was fine my boat had sunk while tied up to my pier, I pumped it out and asked around for advice, this is what some "oldtimers" told me to do, I filled the engine with diesel oil pulled the plugs and turned it over until it had pressure then drained it all, changed the filters put in oil and then about a month later changed the oil again, they also told me to shut the inlet down enough to make it run warm for a few minutes, someone else said kerosene would mix with the water but that didn't sound as safe as the diesel, my gauges all were fine, I loosened them from behind to make sure no water was in them and took a hairdryer to the insides, I bought an additive to put in the gas tanks to get rid of any water that might of still been inside, I had points in that engine and I took it out and dryed it and sprayed WD-40 on the weights, the only bad part was the foam in the seats, months later they still had a musty smell, I sold the boat about 5 years after the sinking and NEVER had any ill effects from it, Good luck, Manuel

superdave013
06-16-2004, 06:47 AM
the key is get the engine flushed and running as soon as it hits the trailer. And I mean get working on it right away!
Drain and dry how ever you want but the bottom line is get it running and let some heat build up to get rid of what ever mositure flushing didn't.
My gauges were all focked. Well they worked but you couldn't read 'em. lol I replaced them one at a time as I was a poor boy at the time.

CARLSON-JET
06-16-2004, 06:56 AM
I was at an upholstrey shop getting smoe material and the guy doing the work there was pulling the seat covers on a boat that had sank . he sais it was a good idea to let them dry then put the covers back on to stop the mold & mildew. on another note I was thinking if it were me I would buy/rent a de humidifier and put it in the boat with a cover/ tarp sealed up best I could and run it for awhile. just a thought . good luck on salvaging it. Great job sticking with your boat and getting it out of the water pronto. that in itself I'm sure will save you alot of work.

manuel
06-16-2004, 06:58 AM
I'm gunshy now so I have a Rule 1100GPM automatic pump under the front of the engine and TWO 800GPM pumps back by the transom,

Rampager
06-16-2004, 08:26 AM
Dan I sank a year ago August and never took the covers off my seats. I kinda knew I am getting into a new hull this season anyway so I haven't worried much but I did have a seat out the other day and it still seems 'heavy' so I would definatly take the above advice and pull the upholstery off if possible.
Other than that I already mentioned to dry out your ignition/distributor asap.
My electric gauges were pretty much shot too but my alt/starter and battery all seemed fine even after spending the nite underwater
Heat in the motor as soon as possible is key and a few quick oil changes never hurt
Sounds like you're on top of it already
Cheers

Cs19
06-16-2004, 06:13 PM
How about the bearing in the jet drive?

LUVNLIFE
06-16-2004, 06:29 PM
When mine went down the guages and switches took the hit.

HammerDown
06-16-2004, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by cs19
How about the bearing in the jet drive?
Good point, if theres water in the bearing and ya don't get it all out pitting will occur on the steel balls and or race and bearing failure will follow.
Somehow ya have to flush out the bearing with fresh grease.

Jake W
06-16-2004, 06:51 PM
Hear is something I have heard .If the motor was running and hot when it sank it could cause the CRANK to brake later on anyone else ever heard of this?
Jake:D

canuck1
06-16-2004, 06:59 PM
pull the motor, check rods,crank for damage
oil block and check for cracks
mag the heads
replace the valves/springs
press the seats, drill holes if needed, and use the dehumidifier
don't use heat to dry electonics
Or you could just change the oil and run it untill the new motor is ready

superdave013
06-16-2004, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by Jake W
Hear is something I have heard .If the motor was running and hot when it sank it could cause the CRANK to brake later on anyone else ever heard of this?
Jake:D
If it's running when it gets it's first gulp it prolly bent some rods and took out a piston or 2. Don't ask me how I know but that's what always happened to our 2 strokes. :rolleyes:

Danhercules
06-16-2004, 08:27 PM
Looks like I did one very smart thing. I shut the motor down by the key. I saw the transum go underwater and I knew it was it. So, I shut it down and even took out the key. I was holding the key along with the seat coushins in the water:D :D
Thanks for all the help guys.

roostwear
06-16-2004, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by Danhercules
I was holding the key along with the seat coushins in the water:D :D
Thanks for all the help guys.
Somehow, I picture "holding" as more of a death grip. Would be with me!

wsuwrhr
06-16-2004, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by roostwear
Somehow, I picture "holding" as more of a death grip. Would be with me!
You are talking about the keys right Mike?
Just checking.
Brian