PDA

View Full Version : Advantage in Trouble??

thebull
06-16-2004, 08:43 AM
Estimated 70 gallons of fuel leaked into the water
Tuesday, June 15, 2004 11:18 PM MDT
Submitted photo Lake Havasu City firefighters spent two hours cleaning a fuel spill from the waters of Bridgewater Channel on Tuesday morning after gasoline leaked from a boat that had partially sunk overnight. According to reports, it is unclear why the new 28-foot Advantage Party Cat took on enough water to cause the stern to sink, or how much of the estimated 70 gallons of fuel onboard may have been released.
Today's News-Herald Staff
Lake Havasu City firefighters spent two hours cleaning a fuel spill from the waters of Bridgewater Channel on Tuesday morning after gasoline leaked from a boat that had partially sunk overnight.
According to reports, it is unclear why the new 28-foot Advantage Party Cat took on enough water to cause the stern to sink, or how much of the estimated 70 gallons of fuel onboard may have been released.
Reports said the owner had acquired the boat Monday and docked it at the London Bridge Resort.
The department's Hazardous Material Response Team cleaned up the spill from the surface using special absorbent foam booms and pads made for cleaning petroleum spills.
Capt. John Thuneman said it is typical for the fire department to clean spilled oil or gas in the Channel or other parts of the lake. He said the special devices are efficient at absorbing petroleum products, and performed sufficiently Monday.
"They're designed to absorb the fuel and not the water. How they do that we don't know," he said.
Thuneman said the boat was pulled out of the water by a boat salvager and removed from the lake.
After the waste is cleaned from the water the fire department takes the booms and pads, dries them out and disposes of them, Thuneman said.

mbrown2
06-16-2004, 08:45 AM
First day out and it sinks....damn, something don't sound right, and if it was the plug they would have mentioned that I am sure..

Havasu_Dreamin
06-16-2004, 08:46 AM
Are you implying that Advantage, as a builder, is in trouble because this boat sank? I only ask because without knowing the reason it sunk that is pure speculation. For all we know the plug was not in for some reason. Now, if it turns out it's becasue of the way the drive was attached to the transom that resulted in water flowing in, I could see that as a production/build issue. But just becasue a new boat sank does not necessarily place blame on the builder. No, I don't own an Advantage.

That Guy
06-16-2004, 08:59 AM
Well, I do own an Advantage (and a new one at that) and have found nothing but great quality and workmanship. I agree that speculating on why a boat sank is fairly premature since we know very few facts. Regardless, I don't think a post stating "Advantage in trouble" is accurate. Just my .02

thebull
06-16-2004, 09:19 AM
The reason I stated that was because I had heard that when they were testing their new Deck 28 that the hull had cracked. I guess I should of said "Is Advantage in Trouble"

BUSTI
06-16-2004, 09:23 AM
When you buy a new boat the one thing YOU do expect ............is it to float!

BADBLOWN572
06-16-2004, 09:26 AM
Personally, I think Advantage builds a very nice boat, but this is the second time one has sank in the channel. They sank the new 34 about 6 months ago (I believe) and then this. Unfortunately, it is a very public mistake. I am sure that they will correct any and all problems and then get back to business as usual. Everyone makes mistakes, the way that you proove yourself is how you stand behind your product and make it right. I am sure that Advantage will do the right thing and do just fine!

Party Cat
06-16-2004, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by sbark1
..... Regardless, I don't think a post stating "Advantage in trouble" is accurate. Just my .02
This is ***boat...what do ya expect :D :D :D

Froggystyle
06-16-2004, 09:45 AM
Perhaps you may be reading too much into this. When I read the title, I figured what he meant was "AN Advantage in trouble" meaning, a single Advantage.
Froggy"Evertheoptimist"style

That Guy
06-16-2004, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Party Cat
This is ***boat...what do ya expect :D :D :D
God, I know. After reading 16 pages of nasty, bolt wearing skanked, tat sporting ho talk...I'm kind of scared to say anything. But for the record, I think all of you girls look great. Especially the tatted, bolt wearing, skanked out ho's.........No thread hi-jack intended.
:D :D

mbrown2
06-16-2004, 09:58 AM
I figured he meant an Advantage Boat was in trouble by sinking...not the company....the boat could have sunk for a number of reasons....maybe he ordered it with the new Wakeboard Ballast options...and they don't quite have that option dialed in yet...:D j/k...
I still think they make a very nice boat...:cool:

Havasu_Dreamin
06-16-2004, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by mbrown2
maybe he ordered it with the new Wakeboard Ballast options...and they don't quite have that option dialed in yet...:D j/k...
LMAO

That Guy
06-16-2004, 10:24 AM
I figured he meant an Advantage Boat was in trouble by sinking...not the company....the boat could have sunk for a number of reasons....maybe he ordered it with the new Wakeboard Ballast options...and they don't quite have that option dialed in yet...:D j/k...
That made me have to shut my door at work.....verrrry funny.

dicudmore
06-16-2004, 10:51 AM
good stuff :D

Dr. Eagle
06-16-2004, 11:03 AM
Maybe it should have read....
Advantage shows crack.... then passes gas...

HCS
06-16-2004, 11:08 AM
Someone's going to have a hefty bill for that clean up.

LaveyJet
06-16-2004, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Dr. Eagle
:D :D :D LOL Too Funny

That Guy
06-16-2004, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Eagle
Killer.....lmao:D :cool: :D

mickeyfinn
06-16-2004, 03:50 PM
Or maybe a headline will read something like
"ADVANTAGE provides fuel for arguement over nasty boat emissions in Havasu.":D

SHAKEN Not Stirred
06-16-2004, 04:09 PM
Well......
Here is what happend........
First of all, the boat sank all the way to the bottom.
All of us have screwed-up a few times in our life, so we will all have sympathy for this guy.
It appears that the bow shower was left on all night and that the (3) automatic bilge pumps were OFF.
The boat was about a month old.....Not the first time out....
Shit happens.......Right??
:frown:
CJG

mbrown2
06-16-2004, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by Christopher Gibbons
Shit happens.......Right??
:frown:
CJG
Exactly, Shit happens...hopefully he can get her back together to still enjoy some of the summer....
Honey..., cancel the optional bow shower on the new boat:D

RiverPirate
06-16-2004, 04:59 PM
It's always them damn kids playing with the showers. They have the whole lake to swim/play in and they have to mess with the showers. :D
I don't know why but my kids love hosing down anyone within range.:(

beach gomer
06-16-2004, 06:05 PM
Next thing we will hear is that all boat mfg will lower prices for 2005 NICE!!!!!!!

Mandelon
06-16-2004, 06:09 PM
How does one leave an "automatic" bilge pump off? Especially when the shower is on?????? :confused:

Dr. Eagle
06-16-2004, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by Mandelon
How does one leave an "automatic" bilge pump off? Especially when the shower is on?????? :confused:
That boat needs a time delay relay on the shower pump to turn it off so many minutes after turning it on, and a murphy switch for the Bilge Pumps...
One that not even Murphy could touch!

beyondhelpin
06-16-2004, 07:45 PM
My last boat had a 3 position switch for the bilge. On/auto/off Why the hell anyone would ever turn it to off is the question!

FRENCHIE
06-16-2004, 07:46 PM
:rolleyes:

Dr. Eagle
06-16-2004, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by beyondhelpin
My last boat had a 3 position switch for the bilge. On/auto/off Why the hell anyone would ever turn it to off is the question!
It's so that Murphy guy can come visit.......

SHAKEN Not Stirred
06-16-2004, 07:49 PM
Whats Next.........A drain plug interlock connected to your ignition.
No pluggie....No startee.
Screens on our props ???
:D
Slow down & pay attention.......
Well.....Shit will still happen, it's just part of the sport.
I've made my share of bone-head moves !!!!!
:cool:

SHAKEN Not Stirred
06-16-2004, 07:51 PM
Wow.....
I'm on to something......
"A drain plug interlock"
Hmmmmmmmmm.
wuda-U-Think ??

Jrocket
06-16-2004, 08:05 PM
Dam that really sucks.I hope everything worked out ok for the guy.

Dr. Eagle
06-16-2004, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by Christopher Gibbons
Wow.....
I'm on to something......
"A drain plug interlock"
Hmmmmmmmmm.
wuda-U-Think ??
I think it should work in tandem with your ignition interrupt lanyard. If you forget to put in the plug, it should shock your balls.......