PDA

View Full Version : My current choices....your opinions

WriedtStuff
06-16-2004, 08:54 AM
Many of you have read my posts about an old Maverick I was working on when I found major structural damage. I decided to abandon the Maverick and look for another hull....Here is what I have found to date and just wanted to get some opinions....
1970s Mantra
Bare Hull
Good Floor, Good Stringers, no intake, no trailer, no rub rail, been sitting in the woods for a while and covered with green slime....saddle tanks, Would require a complete paint job and the reinstalltion of an intake and interior. This guy wants $500
1973 Wriedt Stinger
Bare Hull, Over all in much better shape than the Mantra, and has the intake mounted...but not as low porfile as the Mantra. Still no interior, gauges, nor trailer. This guy wants $300
Unknown Year Stealth P/F Tunnel
I have not seen this boat yet....but have been told by a good source that is is a nice boat....bottom has been race prepared, has the pump with bornze impeller, new interior.....basically is ready to have my motor installed and go to the lake....with a tandem trailer. This guy wants $8000
2004 Warhawk P/F Tunnel:
This boat would also be a bare hull made new for me with nothing in it and a total white exterior.......no trailer. This would cost around $6500.
Of the cheapies the Stinger would be the least amount of work to get it running and in the water...
The Stealth seems like a pretty good deal if it turns out to be all that I was told it was......
I look forward to reading all of your opinions......
Thanks,

canuck1
06-16-2004, 09:05 AM
go to jetboatracing.com and have a look at some used alum hulls
faster, lighter, easier to fix/modify

WriedtStuff
06-16-2004, 09:23 AM
Thanks canuck....
I took a look but I don't know any thing about these boats.....are the mainly for racing....I am looking for a lake boat that is kinda fast, looks and sounds good....and I can take the wife and kids along.....

canuck1
06-16-2004, 09:39 AM
I run a 15' sprint that seats 5, runs 75 with 400 hp small block. The 21' tunnel is mostly set up for racing but gator has done alot with paint and interiors that us river guys don't usually care about. the sports or sprint hulls make for a good alround boat for the lake or river

Rampager
06-16-2004, 10:58 AM
For what its worth Wreidt I have gone to an aluminum hull myself. I'm not saying what it is just yet but I am certain canuck1 there will be impressed. Lets just say I have bought into the "beer can" boating theory and I have never even been in one! I like the idea of not worrying about rot and such and the performance seems really good too. I will post pics soon. There seems to be more than ample testing and innovation in these types of hulls these days and you cannot argue with the numbers some of these guys post.
Cheers and good luck, if you were closer I'd come grab your project hull just for S&G's

WriedtStuff
06-16-2004, 11:17 AM
Most of the ones I saw there were Eagles......are they good boats? What would you guys recommend that is advertised there? With a reasonable price tag....
I still would like to hear opinions one the boats I list earlier in this thread....
Thanks

superdave013
06-16-2004, 11:23 AM
those Stealth tunnels are nice boats. Donno anything about the new Warhawk but am sure it's nice too.
You didn't say what you are going to be using the boat for but if you want to go fast I'ed skip the first 2. They sound like lots of work anyway.

WriedtStuff
06-16-2004, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by WriedtStuff
I am looking for a lake boat that is kinda fast, looks and sounds good....and I can take the wife and kids along.....

superdave013
06-16-2004, 11:57 AM
hey now, that quote is not from this thread. Is that cheating? lol
Anyway those first 2 would get the job done. But....even with the cheep price I bet you would dump twice what they are worth to get them back in the water. And that's NOT counting your time.

Jake W
06-16-2004, 01:15 PM
The Warhawk is the modified version of the TX 20 tunnel rite?If so this would be a nice boat they have alot more room than the Youngbloods did.And it would be brand new not a repair job that might cause problems later or because it is a really light boat being used as a lake boat.
To me the other intresyting one is the Mantra.is it a Vbottom,gullwing or tunnel?They made all three?
If it is a v bottom the ones I have seen are good boats and mabey if you could do the work your self you could gell it for under 500 bucks with good gell and gun to shoot it.The intake being out is a good thing you could get it set up for a shoe and ride plate ect.
If it is a gullwing that is even better that means it will be a great lake boat and pretty fast with less power than the other and well worth 500 bucks how you described it.
If it is a tunnel stay away from it unless you want to race it not good lake boats.
Jake:D

WriedtStuff
06-16-2004, 02:11 PM
Hey Superdave...the quote is from this thread...look at the 3rd one from the top.
Jake, The Mantra is a v-bottom.....but it is in pretty poor shape...I was told that someone had started an intake setback and working on the bottom....but gave up....kinda like I did on the Maverick....it is sitting on a wooden frame box and when you lean on the boat you can see the the bottom of the hull flexing pretty easily from the wooden supports....maybe it is supposed too....but the hull looks really thin.....
I am not sure I want to take on another project like this....Basically, it is what I started with about 2 months ago....and now I am back a square one.....and it does not have any interior....
I am enjoying the opinions....keep um coming....
Thanks!

lucky
06-16-2004, 02:14 PM
JEWHACKEROUT-VDRIVE BOAT - YOU'LL MAKE EVERYONE HAPPPPPY - LIKE THATS POSSIABLE :D

ChetCapoli
06-16-2004, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by Jake W
The Warhawk is the modified version of the TX 20 tunnel rite?If so this would be a nice boat they have alot more room than the Youngbloods did.And it would be brand new not a repair job that might cause problems later or because it is a really light boat being used as a lake boat.
$6500 sounds like a deal for a new boat especially for a tunnel.
CHET

WriedtStuff
06-17-2004, 06:37 AM
Chet,
Thanks for the reply....Keep in mind that $6500 is for just the hull...no trailer, no rigging, no gauges, plain white gelcoat, Would that still be a good deal....I guess I would need to find out what it would be worth after I completed it......any ideas?
Thanks

Rampager
06-17-2004, 08:30 AM
Judging by Canuck1's avatar and the fact I am from Canada too Its likely not fair to ask us if Eagle's are good boats!
I think the race results speak for themselves and the boats are being exported to NZ which says alot.
If you are really considering spending that kind of money I would seriously consider a little 'outside the fibreglass' box thinking
Cheers

superdave013
06-17-2004, 08:42 AM
Chet,
Thanks for the reply....Keep in mind that $6500 is for just the hull...no trailer, no rigging, no gauges, plain white gelcoat, Would that still be a good deal....I guess I would need to find out what it would be worth after I completed it......any ideas?
Thanks
$6,500 is a great price for a new blank hull. Just take what you think you will spend to rig it, then double that to get an idea of what it will REALLY cost. lol

WriedtStuff
06-17-2004, 10:13 AM
I finally got a picture of the Stealth...but it is listed as a 92 EDGE tunnel....is that the same as a Stealth....it is an awful baby blue....so I will probably not consider it anyway.
Here's a pic....pretty ugly...Huh?
http://www.mindspring.com/~agood/Egde%20Tunnel.jpg

Back Forty
06-17-2004, 10:16 AM
Ugly..? It's not pink or lookin like a pack of livesavers is it..?;) ]
Run with it!

WriedtStuff
06-17-2004, 10:22 AM
I guess it's all a matter of opinion....but to much money to just settle....now if he wants to drop the price a few thousand...then I could probably stomach it.....

Jake W
06-17-2004, 02:01 PM
Most bare hulls are 7500 and up for a boat of equal value.
Edge Stealth is the full name the jell coat looks like something Cougar would have done in the 90s it dosent look that bad.
Do you have any pics of the Warhawk?

WriedtStuff
06-17-2004, 04:58 PM
Jake,
SO you think the 92 Edge would not be a bad deal since it includes the pump, trailer, guages, tanks...basically all but the motor?
I do not have a picture of the Warhawk....cause it would not be built until I order it.....I now know that I can order it in most any solid color for the same price.....
Here is a pic of a 2001 Warhawk I found on the web.
http://www.mindspring.com/~agood/Warhawk.jpg

565edge
06-17-2004, 05:27 PM
I just sold my stealth.Dont waste your money on anything but the stealth.Here is tom papp's number.He makes the stealths-1-909-734-4606.The boat will run good with any motor you put into it.That is a good deal.I just sold mine for$9500.I like the blue.Go to www.tompappracing.com check out bluethunder.Its blue and hauls ass!http://www.tompappracing.com/images/blue_thunder_sm.jpg

WriedtStuff
06-17-2004, 06:36 PM
Let me get this straight....Tom Papp makes these boats? It is an Edge make and a Stealth model? I can't find anything about an Edge Stealth in the blue books or NADA.....just trying to get an idea of what it is worth.....How would I found out what it is worth?
After considering both the tunnel hulls.....here my pros and cons.
Pros.
Stealth has everything I need except an engine...
Con
I really don't like the color.
Pro
The Warhawk can be ordered in just about any solid color and would be a brand new boat.
Con
It would require a trailer, gas tanks, interior, all the rigging and driveline....which added together gets pretty expensive.
Pro
The warhawk could be sold as a 2004 model boat so it's value would be higher than the Stealth.
Just don't want to be in any more over my head(money wise) than I am now....especially with a boat color I would have to get used to....

565edge
06-17-2004, 06:47 PM
Tom papp makes the stealth.Mine on the pink said edge engineering,it was a 1992.They are very fast and effecient hulls.I dont like the look of the warhawk.To build a trailer and rig the warhawk you are going to have alot of money in it.Most stealths ive seen go for around $10,000 less motor.It all depends on if your patience when you sell it.I would go with a stealth-cheyenne or daytona.If you get a cheyenne make sure its a papp cheyenne.Did you try his link?Here is my old one.http://www.dragboats.com/images/gallery/thumbs/03_10_NJBA_2172_J.jpg

canuck1
06-17-2004, 08:51 PM
Most of the ones I saw there were Eagles......are they good boats? What would you guys recommend that is advertised there? With a reasonable price tag....
I still would like to hear opinions one the boats I list earlier in this thread....
Thanks
Eagle builds one of the best boats around
I haven't looked at what is for sale but what are you looking to spend? For a family ride I would look for a 19' sport, with a mild 400hp engine 75mph is easily doable
Most glass tunnels are not good family rides and most tunnels don't show their potential untill over 75mph, not family cruisin speeds. from what you have said a good v would probably meet your needs better.
The Worlds are in Marysville CA starting tommorrow go check out some of the hardware there

WriedtStuff
06-19-2004, 07:25 AM
I am probably going to buy the Edge Stealth...but it is 8+ hours away...so I won't know for sure till I go look at it.
I did find out that is has a stainless "A" impeller in it and it was used as a dragboat and had all the race bottom work done on it....
Will a pretty much stock 460 turn an A impeller?
Also he has left all the braided lines and fittings in it....so that is worth something too....
One thing that concerns me is that he told me it was a medium layup....less than 600 lbs....that seems awful light for a boat this size...is this layup too light for a lake boat that will see some rought water?
Thanks

565edge
06-19-2004, 08:33 AM
My edge was 450#.I took it the lake.Took it out on big weekeends and beat on it.No sterss cracks.Im 350# and could go accross the deck.Take that ford apart and build a stroker.