PDA

View Full Version : This Sucks

miketsouth
06-16-2004, 11:40 AM
The BOTE thing went by so fast. I worked hard to get my boat ready. It made it. I made it. My wife made it. Most everybody was there. I was treated like Royalty. Met some new nice people. Got to see the group again. The people i'd previously met and so much enjoyed before, i got to see again.
Its over. I review the vids and feel very sad. The afterglow of such a great event is just wearing off.
"Get a Life"
Well i got one. Opened up the valve covers to find problems with the rocker/valve stem. Builder is sending me new heads, no questions asked. And i got to replace a turbo on an 85 diesel jeep cherokee.
Dam.
There is not one person or animal i saw during that short time that i did not get a thrill out of. To me, it was really great. Amazing i could live in a metropolis of some 5 millions and get such a thrill out of so few.
mikeT

HammerDown
06-16-2004, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by miketsouth
Builder is sending me new heads, no questions asked.
mikeT
"no questions aksed"...That in itself if very rare!

miketsouth
06-16-2004, 03:57 PM
You know me Brother Hammer....he did not get to ask any questions...i had answered them for him. Actually he did me a pretty good deal....Yes, i got to do the work, but marine or race engines are not warrantied for that price. I told him exactly what i was gonna do to it. Run it hard until it blew up. WOT as much as possible as long as i had oil pressure. I expected 180minutes of WOT (MTBF). I got about 20. Maybe 90minutes runtime.
He knew he made the mistake, and made it good. From what i can find out, chevy heads mostly have push in studs for the rockers. If that is the case "self aligning" rockers are used, or the head is modified for guide plates.
One head had valve holes that looked like guide plates, the other did not. It was this one that had the big problem. The other one, the guide holes were worn a little and allowed some valve stem irregularities. Regular rockers were put on the head with the big valve guide hole and it made the rocker badly wear the top of the valve on two cylinders. Still ran and idled, but WOT had some kind of problem.
Anyway he is sending me heads, gaskets and bolts UPS 3day. Not bad for a cheep motor and a businessman 3500 miles away.
This is a family shop and he was the only guy that knew what my goal was. He knew jets. He did not try to sell me things that would just not make anymore HP or longevity when i told him the application. He wondered with me about how much HP with the exhaust i have would make. He gave me tips on timing and jetting, breakin and such.
I got some cheep rollertip rockers that i will use this time.
Still got SO much to learn. I know my 454 truck had "two man" heads. I wonder if i can do the SB heads without help.
mikeT

supersoaker509
06-16-2004, 06:21 PM
You need help let me know.
:D

HammerDown
06-16-2004, 06:36 PM
Mikey, small block heads are a walk in the park (almost a one hander).;)

BottleFedJet
06-16-2004, 07:26 PM
Need a 496 ?..............:D

miketsouth
06-21-2004, 04:13 AM
here is some pics of the damaged valve tops.
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/mikejet/vavleasfound3.jpg
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/mikejet/vavlerock3.jpg
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/mikejet/vavletop3.jpg
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/mikejet/vavletop1.jpg
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/mikejet/vavlerock1.jpg
Note the big pushrod hole....no way to keep the rocker from walking. The other head had pushrod guide holes built in but some were worn.
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/mikejet/vavleprhole1.jpg
I am hoping this is the slight vibration i felt at WOT. I couldnt hear noise, or a noise that i recognized, and the engine would idle and run fine, just at WOT it felt like 7 cylinders.
Im putting roller tip rockers on the new heads. Got to get the correct headbolt sealer, that which will seal without changing the torque specs.
mikeT

miketsouth
06-24-2004, 01:40 PM
heads came, new headbolts and gaskets. 993's, very good rebuild. No time to put them on.
The boat took all my time. Nothing else mattered. Now it is time to have guests and the place is AFU.
I'll make it. Looks like 3 bushels crabs, two bushels corn, two kegs beer, umteen hamburgers, fourty-eleven hotdogs and all the fixins.
"when the going gets tough, the tough start drinking"
mikeT(south-east)

fat rat
06-24-2004, 02:26 PM
heads came, new headbolts and gaskets. 993's, very good rebuild. No time to put them on.
The boat took all my time. Nothing else mattered. Now it is time to have guests and the place is AFU.
I'll make it. Looks like 3 bushels crabs, two bushels corn, two kegs beer, umteen hamburgers, fourty-eleven hotdogs and all the fixins.
"when the going gets tough, the tough start drinking"
mikeT(south-east)
Hey South-East.......sounds like you got your hands full, glad to hear the heads arrived.....should be no time and that bad mo-fo will be back on the water.
What the heck are fourty-eleven hot dogs?

miketsouth
06-25-2004, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by fat rat
should be no time and that bad mo-fo will be back on the water.
Yeah, no time soon....
I got the heads, intake, rockers on today.
fourty-eleven is a number greater than 40 and just smaller than fourty-twelve. It is kind of like the square root of (-1)...it exists and is used in calculations. Unlike the square root of (-1) it is in the real number set.
umforty would be another way of describing the number. Maybe better for you as you did not question the quanty umteen
mikeT

HammerDown
06-26-2004, 03:46 AM
Yeah, no time soon....
I got the heads, intake, rockers on today.
fourty-eleven is a number greater than 40 and just smaller than fourty-twelve. It is kind of like the square root of (-1)...it exists and is used in calculations. Unlike the square root of (-1) it is in the real number set.
umforty would be another way of describing the number. Maybe better for you as you did not question the quanty umteen
mikeT
Oh ok, it's the same thing...but different.:p

tihsolluf
06-27-2004, 07:18 PM
Please use this in an equation, and no fake numbers please

miketsouth
06-27-2004, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by tihsolluf
Please use this in an equation, and no fake numbers please
(fourty-eleven) - (fourty-eleven)=0
(fourty-eleven) + (fourty-eleven) = (eighty-eleven)
(fourty-twelve) > (fourty-eleven)
20-umteen >0
umfourty:.fourty-eleven
mikeT
'oofnoitacudenateg

tihsolluf
06-28-2004, 01:35 PM
ymmamojybdeloohcsemohsawi :yuk:

Wet Dream
06-28-2004, 05:41 PM
ugaafu

miketsouth