PDA

View Full Version : How Long Will They Last

ZSARGO
06-16-2004, 01:40 PM
A FRIEND OF MINE JUST DROVE OUT TO HAVASU TO LOOK AT A SPECTRE 30 WITH TWIN 300'S. THE PRICE IS GREAT, BUT BOTH MOTORS HAVE OVER 550HRS ON THEM. HOW LONG CAN HE EXPECT THESE MOTORS TO RUN??
WHAT KIND OF HOURS ARE YOU GUYS GETTING OUT OF THESE MOTORS?

lucky
06-16-2004, 02:22 PM
TWICE THE DAQURIES --- ;)

hpron
06-16-2004, 03:43 PM
Les..have your friend check the run time at the various RPMS's logged on the computer..there is a decent thread on this rght now over at the outboard site..S/F
Obvoius is how they were and if they have been romped on..all in all not bad review and input thus far over there

TOBTEK
06-17-2004, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by ZSARGO
A FRIEND OF MINE JUST DROVE OUT TO HAVASU TO LOOK AT A SPECTRE 30 WITH TWIN 300'S. THE PRICE IS GREAT, BUT BOTH MOTORS HAVE OVER 550HRS ON THEM. HOW LONG CAN HE EXPECT THESE MOTORS TO RUN??
WHAT KIND OF HOURS ARE YOU GUYS GETTING OUT OF THESE MOTORS?
THEY ARE DONE! TIME TO BE REBUILT LIKE NOW. I have heard that rebuild time is around 350 hours.

Tom Brown
06-17-2004, 08:41 AM
Rebuild a nik motor after 350 hours? :confused:
Why not take the boat to a Merc dealer to have them inspect the engines? If your buddy is serious, the cost of having a mechanic do some tests and measure the bores will be money well spent. :)

ZSARGO
06-17-2004, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by Tom Brown
Rebuild a nik motor after 350 hours? :confused:
Why not take the boat to a Merc dealer to have them inspect the engines? If your buddy is serious, the cost of having a mechanic do some tests and measure the bores will be money well spent. :)
HE IS TAKING IT BY THIS MORNING FOR A LEAK DOWN TEST AND COMPRESSION TEST. SOME GUYS HAVE GOTTEN OVER 1000 HOURS OUT OF THESE MOTORS.

Forkin' Crazy
06-17-2004, 09:35 AM
I think a leak down should tell the tale.
:cool: