PDA

View Full Version : Sinking Stories

Hallett19
06-16-2004, 07:18 PM
I know its a scary issue, but I want to know if anyone has sank and how it happened. I almost sank once, I had water up to the floor of my boat before I beached it, turns out I had a very large crack in the bottom of my boat from all the crap I had in the ski locker, stressed out the bottom and let that thing crack. If anything, it might be helpful for some of us to know what happened and what NOT to do and what TO do when something like this happens. So, lets hear it !!

Mandelon
06-16-2004, 07:19 PM
Shower on, bilge pumps off....:D in the channel.....read that somewheres...
Beautiful Noise had the problem once......He's got pics. I think it just got swamped though.

Cheap Thrills
06-16-2004, 07:23 PM
I left the boat outside with the plug in during a BIG rain storm sunk that phucker right on the trailer . :D
does that count ?
C.T. :wink:

Lake Pirate
06-16-2004, 07:27 PM
One of these days when I'm in the mood to type my ass off I'll tell a couple of stories. I've sunk, run aground (twice), been in two hurricanes, pulled out three people drowning, found one dead body and flipped a boat. No hero stuff from me. I either shook or cried like a little girl every time.
Want to ride with me?

Phat Matt
06-16-2004, 07:37 PM
My cousin use to have a little 19 foot, I think it was a Nordic jet boat. You know one of those little bastards that would sink if you slowed down to fast and didn't hit the thottle in front of the wake. Anyway, we were launching at Windsor and I was in the boat driving with his wife (my cousin) while he backed up the truck. I pulled over to the dock and waited for him. When I noticed my feet getting wet I though the drain on the cooler was left open or something. Then I looked back in the engine compartment and it was full of water. It was inches from coming over the back so I jumped in and stuck my thumb in the plug and told my cousin to turn the pump on and find the spare plug. she found it. I put it in. and we started bailling out the water. My cousin parking the truck came back and said sorry, I thought it was in. It was his boat anyway so oh well. That is as close to sinking as I have been in a boat. Although a boat 2 boats over from us sank in copper canyon last year. Too many people tried to get on the back of a jet boat and see ya. That thing went down QUICK. :eek: :)

BarryMac
06-16-2004, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by Cheap Thrills
I left the boat outside with the plug in during a BIG rain storm sunk that phucker right on the trailer . :D
does that count ?
C.T. :wink:
yeah does that count? I did the same ****ing thing...
gjb

UltraLucky
06-16-2004, 07:58 PM
About 12 years ago was eating breakfast at the Natical Inn. I looked out the window just in time to see the ass end of my old Beismeyer Runner bottom go under. The boat got swamped while tied to there old docks.

Hallett19
06-17-2004, 11:06 AM
Thats it, none of you guys have any really great stories ?? Lucky bastards never sink, ha ? !!! :D

Wally_Gator
06-17-2004, 11:11 AM
Over on the Just Jet's page, this guy had an unfortunate problem.
Check out this guy that just had a serious run in with water. (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=49766)

BADBLOWN572
06-17-2004, 11:34 AM
At Mojave about 2 years ago, a jet boat was camped along side of a houseboat and overnight the boat started taking in water. They had nothing to get the water out with and the bilge pump would not work. The boat was ready to go down. We were driving by and they flagged us down. Our buddy took one of the girls back into the marina with our boat so she could back the trailer into the water. We waited about 15 minutes, fired the boat up, and pulled the plug (only way to get the water out) We told the guy to haul the mail back to the Marina (about 5 miles away) to get the water out. We told him whatever he did, don't stop! We followed him back in another boat. Full throttle right through the 5mph zone and right on the trailer. Pulled the boat out of the water and was fine. No problems. Found out later what caused it was the guy installed a set of dual batteries and when he did, he put 4 screws through the bottom of the boat. When the guy left the cove, the boat was ready to go down. When he pulled it out, I would guess about 5 gallons came out of it. Risky move intentionally pulling the plug, but only way to get the water out of the boat at times.

topless
06-17-2004, 11:41 AM
I know an idiot who restored an old jet boat and decided he didn't need a plug so he sealed the hole up. Now thats a boat just waiting to sink.:eek!:

sleekster
06-17-2004, 11:57 AM
first time out got distracted trying not to take to long at the ramp forgot the butt-plug started it up water goes flinging in the air from the flex plate i am trying to see where it is coming in not realizing i am going down fast wife finally gets my attention and i just barely make it on the trailer before it sunk right there at the launch.

hd&boatrider
06-17-2004, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by BADBLOWN572
At Mojave about 2 years ago, a jet boat was camped along side of a houseboat and overnight the boat started taking in water. They had nothing to get the water out with and the bilge pump would not work. The boat was ready to go down. We were driving by and they flagged us down. Our buddy took one of the girls back into the marina with our boat so she could back the trailer into the water. We waited about 15 minutes, fired the boat up, and pulled the plug (only way to get the water out) We told the guy to haul the mail back to the Marina (about 5 miles away) to get the water out. We told him whatever he did, don't stop! We followed him back in another boat. Full throttle right through the 5mph zone and right on the trailer. Pulled the boat out of the water and was fine. No problems. Found out later what caused it was the guy installed a set of dual batteries and when he did, he put 4 screws through the bottom of the boat. When the guy left the cove, the boat was ready to go down. When he pulled it out, I would guess about 5 gallons came out of it. Risky move intentionally pulling the plug, but only way to get the water out of the boat at times.
Limited options and that was a smart move actually. I have to remember that one

diggler
06-17-2004, 12:05 PM
Hallett19, that drummer boy in your signature just ****ing kills me!!! ha ha!, that is the funniest damn thing I've ever seen!:D

dimarcobros
06-17-2004, 12:09 PM
We were about 3 seconds from going all the way under. This happened about 12 or so years ago. We were heading up river from havasu when a tour guide of wave runners came flying down river. There was two waves of these fokers. They were taking up the whole river, which is not very wide to begin with. My dad was driving and found a hole in the first wave to go through only to find a second wave right behind them. This little kid who had never been to the river before and turned out to be 13 was driving looking back at his friend or mom behind him, didn't even see us. My dad pulled off what was left of the throttle (we were cruising but slowed down when the wave runners came) and turned right, well the kid finally turned around but it was too late and turned hard right only to spin and the rear spun around and hit our boat right at the passenger seat. Made a hole about 4' by 4' and i have never seen so much water come in the boat so fast. My dad slammed the gas to get it over to shore and when we did there was so much water we were going about 3 mph. Luckily we were up river and were able to get over to shore just as the engine went under. I was young and pretty frightened at the time. We had to call the salvage boat to come up and tow us back. Luckily Up4River's family was behind us. The worse part is the famliy sued us and got paid. :mad: :mad: :mad:
DMB

rivercrazy
06-17-2004, 12:13 PM
One time in my former jet boat, the inlet water line coming out of the pump to the "T" blew. Since I had a enclosed engine hatch, I didn't know water was quickly filling the bilge. But started noticing the engine temp was up so I back off the throttle and opened that hatch. Water was up to the top of the oil pan.....Glad I carried a spare section of hose that day......Didn't go down but it could have easily.
Word to the wise in a jetboat, change that small section of water line annually. Cheap insurance......

Debbolas
06-17-2004, 12:13 PM
Never would have thought of pulling a plug to get water out of a boat:confused:

hd&boatrider
06-17-2004, 12:18 PM
Heres one of mine:
I had recently bought a Southwind Jet and took it out to Needles. Went out there to meet up with Disco, Rivtoysjas, Fufu, the Boardsmnj and a few others...anyhow, Discos dad was there and he used to race boats and so forth. He and Disco wanted a ride so we jumped in and we took off. We head up past the bridge and I am smiling ear to ear as the boat was running great. We turn around to come back and Disco's dad starts yelling get to shore. Seems the engine was filling up with water fast. We barley get back to shore and have the pump running but it seems to still be taking on more water. I knew the plug was in but checked anyhow. We get it back on the trailer....I was a little apprehensive about driving it out on the water but had no choice. We bring it into the camping area and can not figure this out. Finally Disco climbs under the boat and sees the damage. A huge crack in the hull. Seems it was covered with fresh silicone and the water just ripped it away. Took it to Havasu Barney who got it taken care of. I am happy that I had some experienced people with me when this happened. If I would have been out there with kids I would have went down for sure and it could have been a major catastraphe. It all worked out in the end but I was pretty upset at the time.

Debbolas
06-17-2004, 12:21 PM
Someone sold you a boat with a huge crack that was covered in silicone, that came off in the water and your boat sunk?!?!
:confused: :eek:

Dr. Eagle
06-17-2004, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Debbolas
Never would have thought of pulling a plug to get water out of a boat:confused:
They actually make the "duckbill" or automatic drain plugs that drain the bilge when you get up on plane. They work great, unless something gets into them... like sunflower seeds...Drains (http://www.rexmar.com/page157.html)
Cuz if they get something in them, you are DOOMED... DOOOOMED...

Debbolas
06-17-2004, 12:23 PM
Learn something new everyday..........but that wouldn't work with my boat, right? (too big)

copperrat20
06-17-2004, 12:24 PM
When I bought my sanger hydro or better known as "project lost cause" the boat would not come off of the trailer at the launch ramp. So when we finally got it tom break free from the trailer, she started going under but with no signs of water in the boat. Well come to find out, since it had a floor in it that was sealed, the guy installed these seats out of jegs that I was ripping out anyway once I started the restoration. Well he screwed the seats in with 4 inch wood screws. Yes that is right folks right through the bottom of the hull. Not to mention the few holes that were in the bottom of the boat that were covered by the trailer bunks. So boat filled with water. Nothing I could do but drill holes in the stringer that separated the engine compartment from the air pocket under the floor to get the water out. Point of the story is - I bought the boat anyway. I wanted a resto project and something different from a family boat. But yes it sunk right off the trailer.

rivercrazy
06-17-2004, 12:24 PM
Another close call involved a Mastercraft 19 comp boat. It hadn't been run in a couple of years. We head out to the lake and once hitting the no wake bouy's we hit it. Noticing the water temp gauge was too high, shut down to pop the engine hatch. The seawater pump impeller failed causing a hole in the rubber exhaust hose. Since the exhaust is below the water line in that boat, water was gushing in at an incredible rate....
We ended up having a roll of duct tape and thankfully we were drinking bud light (coors light cans are too skinny). We taped around the beer can and shoved it up the exhaust tip below the water line. It stopped the water flow and the bilge pump took care of the water. But it took quite a while! :D
Never Never Ever Ever forget your beer. It can save your life and yur boat!

dimarcobros
06-17-2004, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by rivercrazy
Another close call involved a Mastercraft 19 comp boat. It hadn't been run in a couple of years. We head out to the lake and once hitting the no wake bouy's we hit it. Noticing the water temp gauge was too high, shut down to pop the engine hatch. The seawater pump impeller failed causing a hole in the rubber exhaust hose. Since the exhaust is below the water line in that boat, water was gushing in at an incredible rate....
We ended up having a roll of duct tape and thankfully we were drinking bud light (coors light cans are too skinny). We taped around the beer can and shoved it up the exhaust tip below the water line. It stopped the water flow and the bilge pump took care of the water. But it took quite a while! :D
Never Never Ever Ever forget your beer. It can save your life and yur boat!
Sorry to hear about your boat but that is a great recovery story. That should be a commercial.
DMB

Aqua Boogie1
06-17-2004, 12:32 PM
Last year camping at New Melones Res., I was towing people on the tube. Well I had my brother on it and was trying toss him, well I finally did and made a hard right turn to go pick him up. Just as I slowed down, the wake from me turning came into the boat. The boat went over one wake but the other two came in. Everyone was soaked and I just gunned it to get all the water to back of the boat to the bilge. And at doing that, almost hit my brother........gave me a good scare. I actually parked the boat for the rest of the day...........:rolleyes: :D

SchellSchock
06-17-2004, 01:19 PM
My boat is a Ski-Fish. My brother and I are fishing offshore,(3 miles), from Ocean Beach. Using the intregrated livewell as a bait tank. Slow drifted for about 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Decide to leave and motor just bareley cranks over but starts. I had my brother look under engine hatch to see what was up, and as soon as he did water was spraying everywhere. I hit the throttle and the best we could get out of the boat was 8-9 MPH. Kept going, never did get on plane, made it back though we were both crappin' our pants. Seems the seal at the top of the live well leaked so water just kept pumping in. Lets see 3 hours at 250gph="OH S**T.

dimarcobros
06-17-2004, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by SchellSchock
My boat is a Ski-Fish. My brother and I are fishing offshore,(3 miles), from Ocean Beach. Using the intregrated livewell as a bait tank. Slow drifted for about 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Decide to leave and motor just barley cranks over but starts. I had my brother look under engine hatch to see what was up, and as soon as he did water was sprying everywhere. I hit throttle and the best we could get out of the boat was 8-9 MPH. Kept going never did get on plane, made it back though we were both crappin' our pants. Seems the seal at the top of the live well leaked so water just kept pumping in. Lets see 3 hours at 250gph="OH S**T.
Being on the lake or river when something goes bad is one thing, but miles of the coast in the ocean........:eek: :frown: :eek!: :frown: :eek!: F that!!!
DMB

Danhercules
06-17-2004, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Wally_Gator
Over on the Just Jet's page, this guy had an unfortunate problem.
Check out this guy that just had a serious run in with water. (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=49766)
That did suck. The good news is I fired up the boat today, and headin to the river this weekend!!!!.
It sure sucks watchin your boat go down. I could not belive how fast it goes. I am just glad no one was hurt.

HCS
06-17-2004, 02:53 PM
Me and my buddies have a tradition to go boating every New Years Day.
Like alot of people.
We'll this was a foggy cold day. We had 4 boats on the water
at a lake by me called Folsom. "This was awhile back in my crazy
days." We had all the booze you could drink and more.
The boats where, a ski boat, that I was in of course, a day cruiser,
and two hydro's. When we lauched the boats and headed out accross
the lake, the fog was thick. After pounding down a few drinks,
we decide it's speed run time in the fog. We were heading up
one of the arms in the lake searching for sunshine. Well my buddies
in their hydro's "throttle down" disapear a head of us in the fog.
At that point I figure their f-ucking crazy. So we get seperated.
Well, we cruise around looking for these guys. After looking for
them for about an hour we hit sunshine. Were boatin along having
a drink when I look over towards the shore and see my buddy
holding on to his boat. I said to everyone on in my boat. "WTF
is he doing." Well we head over towards him and we realize
he's drunk off his ass with a big hole punch in the left front sponson,
and another hole punch in the left back of the boat. He was
hauling ass in the fog and got to close to the shore and punched
2 holes in his boat. So it's not sunk at this point, he's holding it up
on the shore. Well my other buddies come along in their boats
and wander WTF is going on. So were all shootin the crap trying
to come up with a solution to get it back to the launch ramp. I said
why don't we go get some inner tubes, tie them to the boat and
tow it in. Well being drunk, my buddy says give me hand and we'll
push the boat off. I'll fire up and drive it back. I said, how the hell
are you going to do that? He says, I'll fire up and plow with the
sponson up in the air if any water goes in the hole in the front it
will flow out the hole in the back.http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15_1_61.gif ('http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb008') We thought about it for a minute
and said to him,
no way it won't work. Don't try it.:eek: So being drunk he says if
we don't help him he'll do it himself. We tried to talk him out of it,
but...he wouldn't listen. So he pushes the hydro into the lake and
tries to fire it up. Guess what? He didn't take into consideration
that it might not start. So, crank, crank, crank...bloop, bloop, bloop.
Down it goes.:o All that's left is two white forks sticking up towards
the sky.
Then we had to go get some inner tubes, tie them to the boat
and tow it back.:D

SoCalHD
06-17-2004, 03:01 PM
Although a boat 2 boats over from us sank in copper canyon last year. Too many people tried to get on the back of a jet boat and see ya. That thing went down QUICK
Matt, was that boat a 19 foot Commander jet that probably looked late 80's early 90's Blue/light gray/ w/some green????

SJ Valley Dave
06-17-2004, 03:59 PM
Closest we ever got was at the delta with our flatbottom. We had ran through some of that green mossy junk and sucked it into our water p/u. The temp gauge started skyrocketing so we killed it while iI went to see what was up as no water was going out the discharge obviosly. Not to forget to mention we were in the main Stockton deep water channel not to far from Lost Isle. As we were sitting dead engined one of those giant ocean going ships went by and we immediately had a foot of water sweep over our deck. We were just getting ready to be hit again when my buddy fired it, through me into the dry headers to keep from going under. Got it to shore, cleaned out the pick up and cooled off the burns and we were good to go again. Only takes a few minutes to get rid of the water with those duck bill flappers but we were so close to sinking in the main channel....the only close call we've ever had at the delta with a v-drive flat.

Boatcop
06-17-2004, 04:20 PM
25 years (or so) ago I was patrolling Lake Havasu, around Black Meadow. The boat was a 24' SKV Coast Goard boat, 454 V-Drive.
We had stopped a boat for bow riding, We were idling alongside while I was up toward the front writing out a "Notice of Violation" (the CG version of a ticket), while the crew was checking equipment.
I happen to look down toward the cabin, and notice there was water where it shouldn't have been. Yep! The Coast Guard Boat was Sinking!
I flipped on the bilge pump, heard it running, but no water was coming out the hull fitting. (Hose had come off)
Yanked the engine cover and found that the belt for the cooling pump had broke and the uncooled exhaust had burned through the rubber hoses to the through-hull exhaust fitting. Water was pouring in the fittings.
I stuffed a handful of rags into the holes, which slowed it down, but by then we were really low in the water. The engine had already stalled from the vibration dampner throwing water all over the place, and it wouldn't start up cause the starter was under water.
I asked the guy I stopped if he wanted to get out of the ticket, and tow us to the Landing, about 2 miles away. He readilly agreed and we gave him the line, while my crew was bailing with anything the could get their hands on.
About half way to the ramp a CG Auxiliary boat showed up. (I had radioed our problem, and had people on the way to Black Meadow with the trailer.) He tossed us an emergency bilge pump he'd rigged, and after about 10 minutes we had caught up with the flooding and were pretty much out of sinking danger. Was towed to the ramp and trailered without any more problems.
Closest I've come to sinking.
Now. How about a cheap and easy tip for that emergency bilge pump.
Buy a regular bilge pump, the more GPH the better. Wire about 20' of wire to it with clips on the end. Clamp about 10 feet of hose to the discharge of the pump. Then put it all in a pillow case or other container, and stow it under the seat, or wherever.
If you, or another boat is taking on water just drop the pump in the bilge, hook the clips to the battery (yours or theirs) and sling the hose over the side.
For about 20 bucks, you'll have a cheap insurance policy and the forever gratitude of anyone near you that's taking on water.

GASHGAZER
06-17-2004, 04:23 PM
Never sank anything, but I was at the ramp in the marina (Havasu) about 5 years ago and a guys wife decided to back a trailer down, well, she backed it down to about 1 ft behind the front tires, so along come the husband, opens the door, in comes the water...so know he's fuming pissed. Fires up the truck and punched it, worked for about 6 inches forward, then went straight back into the drink... sad but kinda funny cus the truck actually floated for a sec while he grabed a few things, then he swam out the window.... to top it off, a pontoon boat with a rookie driver grazes the shell and bounces onto the trailer. Funny at the time....

HCS
06-17-2004, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by Boatcop
25 years (or so) ago I was patrolling Lake Havasu, around Black Meadow. The boat was a 24' SKV Coast Goard boat, 454 V-Drive.
We had stopped a boat for bow riding, We were idling alongside while I was up toward the front writing out a "Notice of Violation" (the CG version of a ticket), while the crew was checking equipment.
I happen to look down toward the cabin, and notice there was water where it shouldn't have been. Yep! The Coast Guard Boat was Sinking!
I flipped on the bilge pump, heard it running, but no water was coming out the hull fitting. (Hose had come off)
Yanked the engine cover and found that the belt for the cooling pump had broke and the uncooled exhaust had burned through the rubber hoses to the through-hull exhaust fitting. Water was pouring in the fittings.
I stuffed a handful of rags into the holes, which slowed it down, but by then we were really low in the water. The engine had already stalled from the vibration dampner throwing water all over the place, and it wouldn't start up cause the starter was under water.
I asked the guy I stopped if he wanted to get out of the ticket, and tow us to the Landing, about 2 miles away. He readilly agreed and we gave him the line, while my crew was bailing with anything the could get their hands on.
About half way to the ramp a CG Auxiliary boat showed up. (I had radioed our problem, and had people on the way to Black Meadow with the trailer.) He tossed us an emergency bilge pump he'd rigged, and after about 10 minutes we had caught up with the flooding and were pretty much out of sinking danger. Was towed to the ramp and trailered without any more problems.
Closest I've come to sinking.
Now. How about a cheap and easy tip for that emergency bilge pump.
Buy a regular bilge pump, the more GPH the better. Wire about 20' of wire to it with clips on the end. Clamp about 10 feet of hose to the discharge of the pump. Then put it all in a pillow case or other container, and stow it under the seat, or wherever.
If you, or another boat is taking on water just drop the pump in the bilge, hook the clips to the battery (yours or theirs) and sling the hose over the side.
For about 20 bucks, you'll have a cheap insurance policy and the forever gratitude of anyone near you that's taking on water.
lol:D I'm one that carries extra goodies. I have one those hand
held jumper boxes with me at all times. I can't tell you how many
thank you's I've gotten for having that. The extra bildge pump
is a good idea. We go boat in camping for a week or two every
year. Iv'e seen sunkin boats a couple of times over the years.
People bailing out their boats with buckets. If they only had that
pump.

Phat Matt
06-17-2004, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by SoCalHD
Matt, was that boat a 19 foot Commander jet that probably looked late 80's early 90's Blue/light gray/ w/some green????
It could have been. Let me see if I have any pictures. I was there next to The EduKATor if that helps any.

Phat Matt
06-17-2004, 06:21 PM
Here are the pics I could find. It was last 4th of July. These pics are what's left of the boat.
Ski locker...
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1524DSC03010-med.jpg
A seat cusion...
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1524DSC03011-med.jpg
And the boats it WAS tied up to...
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1524DSC03013-med.jpg
Everyone who was floating in the water had to get out because their skin started to burn. Gas was floating to the surface and the cops on sea doos had to pull us out.
Good times. ;)

Sportin' Wood
06-17-2004, 06:43 PM
About five years ago my inlaws had planned a big trip to mead on a house boat with there friends. They Blew up the motor in there boat a week before the trip so I told them to take our boat and have fun ( sucker).
They got caught in a storm and beached the boat ( smart move) Too bad for them it rained so hard that the pump could not keep up and our boat sank on the beach from the rain!:D
They were so worried that they would scratch the damn thing beaching it they ripped the astro turf off the deck off the house boat and laid it down before beaching it. They must have been a wreck when they came out and saw it full of water. It made for great pics of waterfalls coming off the cliffs.

lynden
06-17-2004, 06:48 PM
This wasn't me, but my dad. He has a bass boat, and fishes quite a few tournaments. Well I got a call one morning to come down to the lake(an hour away) and find his truck and bring the trailor to another ramp. He noticed when he got to his fishin hole, that he had a lot more water on board than he should have, so he tried the bilge, but it didnt work, so he headed to the ramp, about 5 miles from the ramp he started going down fast, so he beached it. When we pulled him out of the water at the other ramp there was a section of fiberglass 16' x 3' that was missing from the hull of the boat. The damn thing had delaminated and came apart while he was crossing the lake. Skeeter fixed that one for free by giving him a brand new hull!!

jerry billet
06-17-2004, 08:59 PM
Couple of years ago, we went out from Half Moon Bay for Tuna that was 45 milers off shore. When we slowed down to rig up, we noticed water coming out of the engine compartment and onto the floor, about 2' of engine well. When we lifted the engine cover, we could see daylight from under the engine. Shoved life jackets under the oiul pan to try and cover the hole. Bilge and two people bailing kepy us afloat untill the coast gaurd showed up. An auxilary pump and a whole bunch more packing under the engine kept us afloat. Seems there was a thin spot in the hull. 38" crack.
Manufacture put a whole new lower section in . Would not feel safe with a patch.
Jerry

SoCalHD
06-18-2004, 10:10 AM
Matt, Last 4th of July was when my next door neighbor's Commander went down there. That looks like his ski locker and one of his back seat cushions!! I just called him and emailed him the link to this thread. That was his worst day boating in his 25+ years of goiing to the river :-(