PDA

View Full Version : modular homes

lovemyultra
06-16-2004, 08:30 PM
I have been thinking of taking the equity from the sale of my house buying a property in a better area with a modular house and a metal building for a shop ,I know its not a house but I was impressed with these units ,They are very nice ,but how are they long term? Like 15years, anyone have any experience, just testing the waters to see what you guys think .I can get alot more house alot more land and alot more metal building to keep everything in ,sounds good but I dont know the drawbacks besides the lack of equity

Mandelon
06-16-2004, 08:38 PM
Sometimes can be hard to finance unless they are on permanent foundations.....
My father in law lives in one that is like 30 years old, he recently remodeled and it sure seems sound and sturdy. Just watch for moisture intrusion. But most i have seen seem well built. PLus cheeeeeap like you said.

prop check
06-16-2004, 08:55 PM
I have also been looking into modular and mobile homes for some river property. So far they are looking pretty good the only thing I was hearing is that some electrical and plumbing parts are speceal order through the builder so for long term repairs no runnin to home depot. I have looked at the silvercrest homes products and they are very nice. the company is in Corona Ca. and gives tours of the plant and educational deals on the weekends. They might be a good reference. Good luck I will keep watching for your updates. I am also looking into the metal building so if you have good info please share.. Thanks
P.S. I do not work for Silver Crest.....

Hal
06-16-2004, 09:06 PM
Silvercrest has some great modular homes. They have every thing you ever wanted in a home and more and some of them are hugh(sp) You gotta see em to believe it. My shop is across the street from them and we do some a/c work for them. I like to walk thru their models once in a while. They are pretty neat.

Tyson Ross
06-16-2004, 10:17 PM
I looked at a few prior to having a house built. I was not impressed with the interior walls. They seemed pretty thin and you could get them to flex fairly easy. Some stucco and put a tile roof on them and make them look farly nice.

THATJEFFGUY
06-16-2004, 10:49 PM
I too have been considering a modular home for the river property. 2500 SF for like $130,000..seems like a deal to me. And of course, they seem to be cheaper in AZ than CA...just like everything else.

dmontzsta
06-16-2004, 11:04 PM
yeah, your right.

Lady Rat Attack 1
06-17-2004, 12:59 AM
We have a Skyline and I totally love it. It is the top of the line for that model. All the walls are rounded when a new room starts. Very sturdy. We have had it for a little over 7 years now and not one problem (Other than normal wear , What I would expect with children). Ours is 1700 sq ft and our cost was 85,000. Its really nice when it just pulls into your driveway and it only takes a week or so to put them together. I would buy another in a heartbeat.:)

Tyson Ross
06-17-2004, 01:10 AM
I have heard that in Bullhead/Mohave Valley they have a lot of good deals on them.

lucky
06-17-2004, 05:56 AM
2X6 WALLS - A STEEL STRUCTURE UNDERNEATH - OLD ONES SUCKED - NEW ONES ARE A DIFFERENT STORIE - I HAVE EVEN SEEN A TWO STORY ONE !! - i JUST BOUGHT ONE ON LAND . :D

JetBoatRich
06-17-2004, 06:07 AM
DJ, up here they built a few three story units. Pretty impressive, they come in sections and piece them together liek a stacked puzzle. Never seen anything like it. Went by a couple weeks ago and they look good.:eek:

Sleek-Jet
06-17-2004, 06:25 AM
Palm Harbor makes a quality house.
I had a Champion back in Colorado that was built better than alot of stick houses. 2x6 walls, heavy roof, well insulated.
These days you can even order them unfinished inside, then have your own drywall/cabinets/carpet installed on site, a good way to get around some of the "trailer house" type stuff, but it does drive the cost up some. Buy your own appliances also, and replace the water heater with a good one immediatly, trust me on this.
Put it on a permenant foundation, have the title purdged, then you can attain conventional financing.

Floatin'
06-17-2004, 06:27 AM
I put one on my river property last year, got it from these guys, www.thehomeoutletaz.com It's great for a river house but not something I would want to live in full time. It is drywalled inside with 2x6 walls and lots of insulation, well constructed by Cavco
Homes.

lovemyultra
06-17-2004, 01:02 PM
anybody have any websites I know it should be obvious but it isnt , any help would be appreciated