View Full Version : Havasu Boat Accident Tonight

TrailerparkTJ
06-16-2004, 09:10 PM
Read this in the Havasu news this evening:
Juvenile dies in boating accident
Wednesday, June 16, 2004 10:52 PM MDT
L.J. FRink and Terri harber
Today's News-Herald
An accident Wednesday evening on the Colorado River north of Parker Dam took the life of one boater and left several people injured.
Emergency personnel from Lake Havasu City, Mohave and La Paz counties, as well as from San Bernardino, Calif., responded to the accident site north of Havasu Springs near Cattail Cove State Park, according to the San Bernardino Sheriff's Department.
The two boats collided: One boat had six people aboard while the other had two.
A juvenile died at the scene, said Lt. Bill Maddox, SBSD, Needles Office. A male in critical condition and the six others involved - four adults and two juveniles - were transported by boat to Contact Point, then taken by ambulances to Lake Havasu Regional Medical Center.
At least one of the operators attempted to swerve out of the way, Maddox said.
One boat - the one that had been carrying six people - was traveling in a circle and several of the people involved were waiting for help on the shore when personnel started to arrive.
Authorities were trying to determine whether another person had been on one of the boats when the collision occurred.
Further details, including the names of the people involved, weren't available as the Today's News-Herald went to press Wednesday evening. San Bernardino authorities will continue investigating the collision.

dicudmore
06-16-2004, 09:11 PM
:(

MRS FLYIN VEE
06-16-2004, 09:12 PM
:( :( Our prayers go out to the family and also to thoughs that were injured.. :(

Debbolas
06-16-2004, 09:16 PM
That is awfull,:( so sad............

RiverPirate
06-16-2004, 10:25 PM
:( LHC30 is up there right now! Hope everyone else pulls through okay.

LASERRAY
06-16-2004, 10:31 PM
Thoughts and prayers to all involved and their families. Godspeed.:( :cool:

dmontzsta
06-16-2004, 11:07 PM

hot_diggity_dog
06-17-2004, 07:03 AM
:( :( :(
HDD:cool:

MsDrmr
06-17-2004, 09:20 AM
I feel bad for the families, but need to ask a question that no one may know. Why were they out on the lake so late at night and second,,how fast were they traveling. It would seem at somewhat of a slow rate to only have one fatality. Hope the others are recouping okay.:frown:

Boatcop
06-17-2004, 09:59 AM
The accident happened about 6:35 PM. Not yet dark.

FRENCHIE
06-17-2004, 10:09 AM
:( :confused: hopefully no booze involved!

BarryMac
06-17-2004, 10:17 AM
:( sad very sad. :(
gjb :(

dimarcobros
06-17-2004, 10:23 AM
Does anyone know what kind of boats were involved? We have some family freinds out there this week. :( :(
DMB

LHC30Victory
06-17-2004, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by RiverPirate
:( LHC30 is up there right now! Hope everyone else pulls through okay.
Wasn't us, we were outta there by 3pm :(
Our thoughts and prayers to all involved.

slowinhavasu
06-17-2004, 03:15 PM
From the photos of the boats that I saw this morning, there was one open bow Magic, size or other details unknown.
The other was a Skater STYLE boat with twin out boards.I have no other confirmed Information at this time. There are a few stories going around town as we speak.
This is a complete tragedy.....my positive thoughts go out to the families.....:frown:

dimarcobros
06-17-2004, 03:21 PM
Do you still have the photo?
DMB

Ziggy
06-17-2004, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by slowinhavasu
From the photos of the boats that I saw this morning, there was one open bow Magic, size or other details unknown.
The other was a Skater STYLE boat with twin out boards.I have no other confirmed Information at this time. There are a few stories going around town as we speak.
This is a complete tragedy.....my positive thoughts go out to the families.....:frown:
Whew, was worried about my son who's out there with his G/F too. Little 16 foot Kindsvater Wacka.

slowinhavasu
06-17-2004, 06:31 PM
photos are in the hands of a friend of mine, one of the first to arrive.....:(

mtndewdrops
06-17-2004, 07:09 PM
Our condolences to the family.

LASERRAY
06-17-2004, 09:03 PM
:( The deceased was a 10 year old male from Moorpark, Ca. named Tyler Patchett, and was a student in the School district that I work for. He just turned 10 on June 10th. Needless to say it was a very sad day at work today.:frown:

TrailerparkTJ
06-17-2004, 10:50 PM
This is the follow up in tonight's Havasu news:
Search ongoing for 2nd boater
BY SHARON DUNHAM
Thursday, June 17, 2004 10:50 PM MDT
Law enforcement officials will continue searching today for the body of a 48-year-old California man who is believed to have died in a two-boat collision on the Colorado River Wednesday night.
Steven Patchett's 10-year-old son, Tyler, was pronounced dead at the scene, while another son, 18-year-old Stephan, was taken to University Medical Center in Las Vegas, where he was listed Thursday night in fair condition with a head injury. The Patchetts are from Simi Valley, Calif.
The six passengers in the second boat were treated at Havasu Regional Medical Center for minor injuries. They are Kim Padilla, 44; Jennifer Kim Padilla, 21; Nathan Lorge, 22; Nathan Padilla, 14,and and Andrew Padilla, 9, all of Corona, Calif.
Sgt. Phil Odom with the San Bernardino County, Calif., Sheriff's Department said Thursday that the sheriff's department dive team wrapped up its work at about 6 p.m. after identifying several targets during the day that were not Patchett's body.
Lt. Bill Maddox, also with the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department, said the cause of the collision is still undetermined, but that alcohol may have been a factor, according to the preliminary investigation.
Maddox said that all indications point to the elder Patchett's death. "Based on the amount of the blood at the scene and the condition of the boat, he isn't with us anymore," Maddox said. "But we can't call him dead because we have no body."
Maddox said the Patchett boat was destroyed and the second boat was severely damaged.
He called the collision "amazing" since it occurred in the middle of the week during daylight hours with only a few boats on the water.
He said witnesses described the two boats - the 32-to 34-foot Catamaran occupied by the Patchetts, and the 23-foot Magic occupied by the second party - saying that "every time the Cat moved, the Magic made a mirror move." A witness said the two watercraft operators were apparently trying to prevent a collision.
Maddox described the collision as a "severe side swipe," instead of a head-on collision.
When the accident occurred, Patchett was southbound at about 60 mph near Havasu Palms resort, while Robert Padilla, the Magic boat operator, was northbound at an unknown speed. The boats struck port to starboard with Tyler and Steven Patchett ejected. Tyler, who was wearing a life jacket, was found floating by "good Samaritans," and had sustained major head trauma, Maddox said.
The San Bernardino County Sheriff's Boating Accident Team (BAIT) is investigating the collision. Also on the scene Wednesday night were officers from the Lake Havasu City Police Department and from the Mohave and La Paz County sheriff's departments.

ratso
06-17-2004, 10:54 PM
That really sucks...
If you know the rules of the water then there is no excuse for something like this to happen...

RiverForUs
06-17-2004, 11:42 PM
Can't even begin to imagine what it would be like to be an 18 year old kid and get the news in the hospital that your 10 y/o brother and dad both died in the accident. Really sucks!!

Kilrtoy
06-17-2004, 11:50 PM
I am thinking about you,
GODSPEED, you wil lneed more than that.
God bless the family and all their loved ones.

Phat Matt
06-18-2004, 02:29 AM
This is really so sad. Especially to happen when the lake isn't crowded. The odds are so against it. :frown:

SoCal_fun
06-18-2004, 02:34 AM
Having a Son that just turned 9 makes this especially sad. My Son loves Havasu.... :frown: :frown: :( :(

Phat Matt
06-18-2004, 02:39 AM
Originally posted by SoCal_fun
Having a Son that just turned 9 makes this especially sad. My Son loves Havasu.... :frown: :frown: :( :(
I think we all love Havasu. It just makes you think how lucky and carefull you need to be on the water!

Debbolas
06-18-2004, 06:44 AM
Was the sun in their eyes maybe, that can make it difficult to see a boat.
With no other traffic around? Just make a very deliberate move to one side, so the other boat can make a very deliberate move to the other side. Make you intentions know.
That is just so sad...

Sleek-Jet
06-18-2004, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by Debbolas
Was the sun in their eyes maybe, that can make it difficult to see a boat.
With no other traffic around? Just make a very deliberate move to one side, so the other boat can make a very deliberate move to the other side. Make you intentions know.
That is just so sad...
Here is the deal. A boat that you are on a collision coarse with will have little to no relative motion. With little relative motion, our peripheral vision has a hard time picking stuff out in the background. It will just grow larger as it get's closer.
Several studies have shown that it takes a minimum of 12 seconds to recognize an object in motion, determine if it's on collision coarse, and the take correct action to avoid the collision.
Add the speeds we travel at and a little glare and before you know it a boat just appears out of no where bearing down on you.
This is very tragic, but something that could happen to all of us on the lake (it's almost happened to me on several occasions), be carefull out there.

Debbolas
06-18-2004, 07:10 AM
On Lake Mead I was driving back through the narrows, into the sun... It was very difficult to make out craft in the water. I was behind some jet skis and sure enough they turned right in front of me. I was ready for them and slowed down, looked over my shoulder and went around.
Reports like this, just make me more nervous about driving our boat......

Havasu_Dreamin
06-18-2004, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by RiverDave
I hate hearing about shit like this.. :( Especially when it could've so easily been avoided. How hard is it to "stay to the right?" Seriously??
RD
Exactly! This whole thing could have been prevented if people were following the rules of the lake! There is absolutely no reason on any part of the lake for boats to be that close when travelling in opposite directions! It's simple, counterclockwise rotation and give a wide berth to other boats! It was the middle of the GD week! :mad:

Mr.Havasu
06-18-2004, 07:46 AM
I'm sure the sun was a factor that time in the evening.
It is very difficult to see properly going into the sun. and like said before under normal circumstances it takes time to determine how far away and what course another boat is on that is approaching you, add sun in your eyes and the time gets even slower.
Very sad, it could happen to anyone of us.
Please be careful out there.:(

Starloans
06-18-2004, 08:39 AM
It sounds like from the report they both saw each other and neither one ever lifted the throttle. Damn, back off the gas when you are head to head and the other boat mirrors your action! I've been in that situation. :confused:

My Man's Sportin' Wood
06-18-2004, 09:23 AM
If one boat was going southbound, and one northbound, in the evening, while the sun was in the west, how would it be in their eyes? I could understand if they were going east-west, but north-south? Would glare off the water be that bad? I know thats usually the best time to take photographs because the lighting is so good that time of the early evening. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, it won't be the first time.
Some of our best friends lost their twelve year old daughter to a similar kind of accident at Silverwood two years ago. It is heartbreaking. Their 10 year old son woke up in the hospital bed wanting to know where his sister was. It breaks my heart all over again to think about it and know that someone else is going through that kind of pain. The poor mother, losing her husband and her baby.:(

summerlove
06-18-2004, 09:43 AM
we just got back from Havasu and didn not hear of this until late last night. I was on the water Wednesday evening at about that same time and near that location. Saw nothing. Must have happened after we passed on by. The lake was so uncrowded, we were amazed at how empty it was. I am surprised anyone was in an accident this week. Truly amazing and also very sad.
My thoughts and prayers go out to those involved....

Boatcop
06-18-2004, 11:05 AM
Basic Navigation Rules.
When in a head-on situation, turn to the right.
One, or both of the boaters involved didn't know, or failed to abide by this rule.
Again, ignorance of basic Navigation Rules cost lives.
NOW! WIll everyone out there sign up and attend a Boating Class?

Essex29
06-18-2004, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Boatcop
Basic Navigation Rules.
One, or both of the boaters involved didn't know, or failed to abide by this rule.
when is it?

MRS FLYIN VEE
06-18-2004, 11:10 AM
Basic Navigation Rules.
I would like to for the safety reasons.. I have been boating since I was born but safety is first and I would like to learn more.. it's never to late to learn more right..
can you tell me where I can take one of these classes or give a link to one.. Please thanks.;)

Boatcop
06-18-2004, 01:45 PM
I can't help on any of the California Classes, but here's a link to the ones being held in AZ.
Arizona Boating Classes (http://www.gf.state.az.us/i_e/edits/boating_education.shtml)
I'm teaching the one tomorrow in Havasu, but I've heard it's full up, or pretty close to it.

MRS FLYIN VEE
06-18-2004, 01:47 PM
I can't help on any of the California Classes, but here's a link to the ones being held in AZ.
Arizona Boating Classes (http://www.gf.state.az.us/i_e/edits/boating_education.shtml)
I'm teaching the one tomorrow in Havasu, but I've heard it's full up, or pretty close to it.
thank you sweetie.. if we always boat in AZ.. would it be better to take the class there? don't know if it is all the same.. ;)

topless
06-18-2004, 01:54 PM
I made both of my children read the entire boating safety guide before I ever even let them go with us. I also quized them on it.

LakeRacer
06-18-2004, 01:55 PM
I'm teaching the one on July 24 in Phoenix, AZ.

1stepcloser
06-18-2004, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Mrs. Sportin' Wood
If one boat was going southbound, and one northbound, in the evening, while the sun was in the west, how would it be in their eyes?
Lake Havasu actually runs in a north-east to south westerly direction. If your running up toward Havasu city from the Parker dam in the evening, the sun is setting practically right in front of you.
I will assume the reference is due to the fact that the Colorado river overall, runs (obviously) north to south.

24ROD
06-18-2004, 02:49 PM
How very sad!!!!!!!!!! My heart felt condolences:(

cc322
06-18-2004, 05:21 PM
This is so sad, I hate reading about this kind of stuff, and the boating season has just started, puts a big damper on the fun that goes with enjoying the lake, I for one would love to take a boating safety class, as does my wife. My heart felt sarrow goes out to all famlies involved. :frown:

LakeRacer
06-18-2004, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by cc322
This is so sad, I hate reading about this kind of stuff, and the boating season has just started, puts a big damper on the fun that goes with enjoying the lake, I for one would love to take a boating safety class, as does my wife. My heart felt sarrow goes out to all famlies involved. :frown:
Here is info in another thread about classes. Scroll down to the links.
Boating Safety Classes (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=46647&highlight=boating+and+safety)
The links go to the California website and the Coast Guard website.

Havasu_Dreamin
06-30-2004, 01:34 PM
Any news? I heard some theories last weekend in Havasu as to the possible cause.

markc
06-30-2004, 04:24 PM
This is one Havasu story you just hate to here about, along with the incident at the sand bar:frown: god bless there family....

BoatPI
06-30-2004, 04:43 PM
I beleive this was the colission that resulted in one man losing his arm. Listen to Alan, go to the classes and have a DD.
This stuff is not new news, the increased boat traffic has added to the colissions. I have had several ski lines cut by boneheads running over the line, with my falg up! Not to mention pulling a skier within 25' of my stopped boat. Then another fool pulls out his 45 auto and fires into the water when I was in a cove. I think he was shooting at a snake in August.
I switched to a smaller boat to make it easier to get out of their way, and leave weekends up to the crowds.