PDA

View Full Version : Home A/C breaker tripped twice

uvindex
04-04-2006, 03:57 PM
So I noticed that my home central AC unit (5T) was blowing warm air today. I peeked at the condenser unit and it wasn't running so I checked its breaker on the main breaker panel. The big-ass AC breaker was tripped, so I reset it and all seemed to be fine (the AC cools fine when everything's running). So, after a couple of hours or so the breaker tripped again. I've reset it yet again and things are working OK again but if it trips a third time I suppose it's time to do something else!
So is replacing the breaker the first logical thing to do? (The home is ten years old and as far as I can tell the breakers are original). Anything else to check before I call the AC repair guys?
Thanks in advance! :)

WYRD
04-04-2006, 04:07 PM
Make sure all the electrical connections are tight, there is no dirt or debris in the CU fan

NorCal Gameshow
04-04-2006, 04:19 PM
what WYRD said... check the condenser coils make sure they're clean. they should be cleaned at least once a year. the unit doesn't have to work as hard with the proper air flow ;)

Tom Brown
04-04-2006, 04:27 PM
Tape those breakers on. :D
I'm joking... of course.

kanedog
04-04-2006, 04:31 PM
Turn power off at breaker, clean condensing units with hose(clean dirt out of fins) then dry yourself completely off. remove breaker(turn panel power off first) and check connections on the ac breaker, make sure they are clean and tight, scrape off the corrosion so the wire is shiny under the connections. If you want to skip the breaker maintenence, go to homo depot and get a replacement one and just replace it then you will know if that is the problem. Plus, you can look cool at homo depot with a big ass breaker at the checkout! The ac guy will clean the thing but if you do this then that'll save you his time. good luck and turn the panel off before you work on it.

cola
04-04-2006, 04:35 PM
First, if the unit has been running for a hour or so, feel the circuit breaker face with the panel cover on. Use the back of your finger. Run up & down all breakers if the main or the AC are extra warm or hot you could have a problem there. If this in Havasu I will be there Fri. I can stop and let you know if it's on the electric side.
Late, Mike

kanedog
04-04-2006, 04:52 PM
Cola is correct!

uvindex
04-04-2006, 04:56 PM
You guys (and girl) are great. Thank you very much for all the great tips. I'll try this stuff over the next day or two.
Tom, I was expecting more from you (like using a penny and/or aluminum foil for the repair!) :)
Mike, thank you so much for the offer. However, the house is in Tampa, FL (although I'm an Orange County/Havasu transplant) and I don't want to inconvenience you with a 2500-mile drive! :)
Thanks again!

cola
04-04-2006, 05:21 PM
You guys (and girl) are great. Thank you very much for all the great tips. I'll try this stuff over the next day or two.
Tom, I was expecting more from you (like using a penny and/or aluminum foil for the repair!) :)
Mike, thank you so much for the offer. However, the house is in Tampa, FL (although I'm an Orange County/Havasu transplant) and I don't want to inconvenience you with a 2500-mile drive! :)
Thanks again!
Hell I left for Lake Powell & ended up in North Carolina last summer.
Good luck.
Mike

Riomouse911
04-04-2006, 06:09 PM
Ours kept popping last summer, it was caused by an earwig (pincher bug) that got inside the breaker box and kept shorting it out. Follow the above advice and clean out the entire box and clean the contacts before you go to buy a replacement, it'll probably fix it for ya.

aces over eights
04-04-2006, 06:42 PM
So I noticed that my home central AC unit (5T) was blowing warm air today. I peeked at the condenser unit and it wasn't running so I checked its breaker on the main breaker panel. The big-ass AC breaker was tripped, so I reset it and all seemed to be fine (the AC cools fine when everything's running). So, after a couple of hours or so the breaker tripped again. I've reset it yet again and things are working OK again but if it trips a third time I suppose it's time to do something else!
So is replacing the breaker the first logical thing to do? (The home is ten years old and as far as I can tell the breakers are original). Anything else to check before I call the AC repair guys?
Thanks in advance! :)IT SOUNDS LIKE THE COMPRESSOR IS GETTING TIGHT. THIS IS COMMON WITH OLDER UNITS. WAS THE AMBIENT AIR TEMP HOT ?? DID THE UNIT BLOW THE BREAKER ON START UP , THIS HAPPENS BECAUSE THE COMPRESSOR IS HOT & IT PULLS HIGH AMPS...AGIAN THIS IS COMMON ON OLDER UNITS WITH TIGHT COMPRESSORS. YOU HAVE 2 SOLUTIONS , HAVE A TECH PUT IN A HARD START KIT ( ITS A BOOSTER ) OR CHANGE OUT THE UNIT.. DON'T WASTE YOUR $$$ ON A COMPRESSOR.... YOU WILL HAVE A NEW COMPRESSOR ON A 10 PLUS YEAR OLD UNIT. THE BREAKER IS DOING ITS JOB BY TRIPPING , ITS NOT THE PROBLEM. CLEANING THE UNIT WILL HELP . PS I'M IN THE BUSINESS I DO THIS ALL THE TIME IN THE SUMMER. SEE YA

Flying Tiger
04-04-2006, 07:21 PM
You could have a low charge, or the condenser fan is b/o should be checked by someone you trust,, or:
The newer scroll type compressors bearings start to fail and ya see this problem as well,,, so,,,,
The compressor is pulling the Ckt bkr open because it has a problem.
Don't start chasing the problem with parts changing and throwing money at it.
The ckt bkr is just doing its job.
But ya never know until a trustworthy tech checks it out.

cola
04-04-2006, 07:30 PM
Call the guy with the smallest phone book ad. :)

JetBoatRich
04-04-2006, 07:43 PM
and stays at a Holiday Inn Express :rolleyes:

Bailey
04-04-2006, 07:54 PM
what size is that big ass breaker by chance? Also is there a dissconect by the condenser? Does it have fuses? what size are they? Unit should have dissconect with fuses by the condenser. Fuses should be lower ratting then your breaker. This is to protect your wiring. Very important thats how fires start.

sorry dog
04-05-2006, 07:58 PM
Tape those breakers on. :D
I'm joking... of course.
buy a bigger breaker :220v:

Essex29
04-05-2006, 08:32 PM
You're killing me Mike...I felt that one in the wallet :cry:
I sell yellow pages :)

Essex29
04-05-2006, 09:00 PM
People buy them? I always get mine for free delivered to the front porch. :D
You know the saying...suck born every minute :)

Hal
04-06-2006, 02:03 AM
Order to check..
1. Dirty condenser
2. Condenser fan motor, heating up and shutting off causing high head pressure and tripping breaker.
3. Condenser fan motor run capacitor same as # 2
4. Weak breaker or burnt bus bar overheating.
5. Weak run capacitor on compressor.
6. Loose electrical connection in panel or unit.
7. Low voltage to unit. Like under 187 volts on a 208 volt unit. This sould be # 1 on the list to check.
8. Bad compressor contactor or contacts.
9. Could be low on freon and overheating the compressor but not likely if the unit is cooling.
I don't think there is much of a chance of your compressor being bad if it runs and cools OK. Compressors don't get tight when they get old they get loose just like a car engine does when it gets worn. Your A/C compressor is installed in a sealed closed system and the oil should'nt get contaminated like an auto engine would and will last much longer than your auto engine. The compressor is the last thing to go wrong even though I know there is a lot of service techs that would like to sell you a replacement for $1500.00 even if it isn't bad. If you are having a problem that is causing your compressor to overheat(low on freon), then that could cause the compressor get tight and seize. But they usually don't run to long after that happens. Its a good idea to have a system serviced at least once a year to catch stuff like that before something is damaged.
If the unit is over 8 years old I would replace the whole condensing unit.(if the compressor does happen to be bad) You start out with a new 5 year warranty that way. If it is a straight 10 seer 5 ton cooling unit you should be able to replace it for around $1800.00 to $2000.00

cola
04-06-2006, 06:00 AM
You're killing me Mike...I felt that one in the wallet :cry:
I sell yellow pages :)
So does a very good friend. I alwase give him a hard time. He lived in your area a few years back. Then he went to Ill. and is back here now. It was a joke. You guys do just fine.
Late, Mike

riverroyal
04-06-2006, 02:56 PM
IT SOUNDS LIKE THE COMPRESSOR IS GETTING TIGHT. THIS IS COMMON WITH OLDER UNITS. WAS THE AMBIENT AIR TEMP HOT ?? DID THE UNIT BLOW THE BREAKER ON START UP , THIS HAPPENS BECAUSE THE COMPRESSOR IS HOT & IT PULLS HIGH AMPS...AGIAN THIS IS COMMON ON OLDER UNITS WITH TIGHT COMPRESSORS. YOU HAVE 2 SOLUTIONS , HAVE A TECH PUT IN A HARD START KIT ( ITS A BOOSTER ) OR CHANGE OUT THE UNIT.. DON'T WASTE YOUR $$$ ON A COMPRESSOR.... YOU WILL HAVE A NEW COMPRESSOR ON A 10 PLUS YEAR OLD UNIT. THE BREAKER IS DOING ITS JOB BY TRIPPING , ITS NOT THE PROBLEM. CLEANING THE UNIT WILL HELP . PS I'M IN THE BUSINESS I DO THIS ALL THE TIME IN THE SUMMER. SEE YA
i was gonna say the same thing,another ac guy,, :rollside:

slowinhavasu
04-06-2006, 03:21 PM
Order to check..
1. Dirty condenser
2. Condenser fan motor, heating up and shutting off causing high head pressure and tripping breaker.
3. Condenser fan motor run capacitor same as # 2
4. Weak breaker or burnt bus bar overheating.
5. Weak run capacitor on compressor.
6. Loose electrical connection in panel or unit.
7. Low voltage to unit. Like under 187 volts on a 208 volt unit. This sould be # 1 on the list to check.
8. Bad compressor contactor or contacts.
9. Could be low on freon and overheating the compressor but not likely if the unit is cooling.
I don't think there is much of a chance of your compressor being bad if it runs and cools OK. Compressors don't get tight when they get old they get loose just like a car engine does when it gets worn. Your A/C compressor is installed in a sealed closed system and the oil should'nt get contaminated like an auto engine would and will last much longer than your auto engine. The compressor is the last thing to go wrong even though I know there is a lot of service techs that would like to sell you a replacement for $1500.00 even if it isn't bad. If you are having a problem that is causing your compressor to overheat(low on freon), then that could cause the compressor get tight and seize. But they usually don't run to long after that happens. Its a good idea to have a system serviced at least once a year to catch stuff like that before something is damaged.
If the unit is over 8 years old I would replace the whole condensing unit.(if the compressor does happen to be bad) You start out with a new 5 year warranty that way. If it is a straight 10 seer 5 ton cooling unit you should be able to replace it for around $1800.00 to $2000.00
If the system is over eight years old invest in a new high effiency system from American Standard. 14 SEER and above. The new two compressor systems are the sh*t. It will require a large upfront investment, pay back is getting better by the year.
I give the same advise to anyone in the Florida area or Lake Havasu. Good luck.
More then likely it is the breaker/compressor problem....
For those of you in the LH area you call anytime M-F 7am to 4pm,ask for Carey....we also have emergency service.....
Kool-Wave Air Conditioning and Heating 928-855-KOOL 5665

kanedog
04-06-2006, 11:34 PM
Sooooooo.............what was the problem?

uvindex
04-07-2006, 04:49 AM
Sooooooo.............what was the problem?I haven't looked at it yet (my infant daughter is in the hospital and I've been spending all my time with her, including now -- it's cool that the hospital has wireless Internet access).
I've read all the suggestions in the thread, however, and appreciate all the help!! :)